· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
JimKiler
Golden Member

Default Need new receiver, advice

I currently have a Marantz SR7002 which was $1400 new, luckily i got it for half that but it is still frustrating to have the thing die after 7 years. So I am thinking i want to spend $400-$500 since i can still get 100 watts and everything my old Marantz had.

The only feature i would like is HD radio. But when I look at the lower end Yamaha's i do not see HD radio on any of them. So i would like something that has decent wattage, a microphone for tweaking the sound, and i see some of the Yamaha's will do video enhancement. I am not necesarily into that so as long as I can turn it off i am okay with it, but i do not want to be forced into it. Marantz had a couple modes of pure sound and pure direct and they never did anything to the video except making 480i into 480p.

Any advice or recommendations?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
s44
Diamond Member

100W on a Yamaha is nowhere near the 100W on a Marantz. Marantz, HK, Denon, Onkyo are pretty much to spec, though they cheat a bit on the low-end models. Pioneer and Yamaha aren't even close to spec when measured on the test bench.

Last edited by s44; 02-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
biostud
Lifer

what will it cost you to get a repair?
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
100W on a Yamaha is nowhere near the 100W on a Marantz. Marantz, HK, Denon, Onkyo are pretty much to spec, though they cheat a bit on the low-end models. Pioneer and Yamaha aren't even close to spec when measured on the test bench.
My original receiver was a 60w Yamaha and this Marantz is 110w per channel but I do not notice a difference. Actually Marantz pricing means if I want to buy them i can only afford the NR1403 a slimline receiver that only does 50w per channel. It sounds like that might be sufficient. I really do not want Yamaha if I cannot turn off the video processor/upconverting. Granted I only have HDMI sources currently but if I hook the Wii back up i do not want it to upagrde it to 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostud View Post
what will it cost you to get a repair?
I have not gotten a quote but per the comments on the marantz thread at AVS it will easily be $300 or more so thus a $400 receiver seems like a better option. Per AVS

Quote:
Repair is likely to cost from $200+ and if it's an HDMI board issue, that can go for $300+ just for the board itself with labor rates generally $70-$90/hr. Generally if repair costs more than 50% of the replacement cost, it's better to just replace it, so start looking for a replacement and go from there based on its cost.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:
i doubt the marantz runs 100 WPC when driving all channels, pretty much no receiver (not costing a fortune) will run full power on all channels at the same time
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
velillen
Platinum Member

I recently went from a Onkyo 607 to an Onkyo 709 for my main tv. Pretty impressed with it. Both my dad and I thought it sounded better than the 607 but to be fair that was probably a settings thing. Both i just ran the setup and aydyssy and that was it.

The 709 you can turn off video processing if i remember correctly. Its on the high range of your range though (amazon has it for 530). There is the newer 717 i think it is but i'd shy away from it. Get less features over the 709.

But anyways theres my recommendation! And the 609/616 might suit your needs as well. Though it doesnt have quite as good of specs/features.

Denon's are also well reviewed but i dont know anything about them but dont count them out either
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
SyndromeOCZ

[QUOTE=JimKiler;34633347] Actually Marantz pricing means if I want to buy them i can only afford the NR1403 a slimline receiver that only does 50w per channel./QUOTE]

I've got a NR1402 pushing my Wharfedale Evo2-10's and I haven't had any issues with it. I paid the full retail of $400 when it was first released. You can pick them up refurb for less from www.accessories4less.com My brother runs the NR1403 on all of his stuff, including his B&W805S speakers.

The great thing about these Marantz is how cool they run, I've had some Onkyo's before and I can't stand them because they get so bloody hot.

Last edited by SyndromeOCZ; 02-15-2013 at 09:09 PM.
SyndromeOCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Anteaus
Golden Member

Just a side note, but if you are going to eventually use it for home theater I recommend you hold off until later this year if you can. HDMI 2.0 was recently announced and expectly do go into production this spring. You're going to want HDMI 2.0 to have full 4k support in the future. If video is never going to be an issue, then just ignore this. Good luck.
Anteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
SyndromeOCZ

I personally wouldn't wait for 4k support, but then again I'm pretty sure it will be years before 4k actually catches on. IMO it will take longer than bluray did, and the only reason I have anything bluray is because my HTPC bluray drive was free.
SyndromeOCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
marincounty
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
i doubt the marantz runs 100 WPC when driving all channels, pretty much no receiver (not costing a fortune) will run full power on all channels at the same time
My experience is the opposite, Yamaha tends to underrate their amps as opposed to other companies exaggerating. My amp is capable of a 1000w peak into one channel.

I just looked up a random Yamaha amp test here: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,3

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)

In other words, it's rated at 150w but it will actually clip at 194 watts or 275 watts into 4 ohms. Doesn't sound overrated to me.

The Yamaha RX-A3020 measured almost identically to the earlier, RX-A2010 model we reviewed in the January 2012 issue; in fact, the hardware essentials may well be entirely the same. Power delivery was comfortably above Yamaha’s 150-watt spec (just 10 watts more than the earlier model’s) and stayed north of 60 watts even with 7 channels driven, the maximum we’re equipped to measure simultaneously. Noise, distortion, and linearity were all world-class, about as near you can come to the theoretical limits of our dithered-signal real-world tests. If you’re looking for an A/V receiver with better test-bench performance, don’t, because you won’t find it.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
s44
Diamond Member

1 channel is irrelevant and pointless. Look at 5 channels. The Yamaha has a laughable 69w/ch max. And this is their $2200 flagship!

Onkyo's 600-level AVRs have beaten that *easily* for ages. Their 1008 hits 125w on 5 simultaneous channels. Anubis, you're wrong.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
Childs
Diamond Member

How about a factory refurb at accessories4less.com?
Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marincounty View Post
My experience is the opposite, Yamaha tends to underrate their amps as opposed to other companies exaggerating. My amp is capable of a 1000w peak into one channel.

I just looked up a random Yamaha amp test here: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,3

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 194/275 W (22.9/24.4 dBW)

In other words, it's rated at 150w but it will actually clip at 194 watts or 275 watts into 4 ohms. Doesn't sound overrated to me.

The Yamaha RX-A3020 measured almost identically to the earlier, RX-A2010 model we reviewed in the January 2012 issue; in fact, the hardware essentials may well be entirely the same. Power delivery was comfortably above Yamaha’s 150-watt spec (just 10 watts more than the earlier model’s) and stayed north of 60 watts even with 7 channels driven, the maximum we’re equipped to measure simultaneously. Noise, distortion, and linearity were all world-class, about as near you can come to the theoretical limits of our dithered-signal real-world tests. If you’re looking for an A/V receiver with better test-bench performance, don’t, because you won’t find it.
Yy Yamaha that only did 60watts seems as powerful as my Marantz 7002 with 110w per channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
Just a side note, but if you are going to eventually use it for home theater I recommend you hold off until later this year if you can. HDMI 2.0 was recently announced and expectly do go into production this spring. You're going to want HDMI 2.0 to have full 4k support in the future. If video is never going to be an issue, then just ignore this. Good luck.
That is a good idea and do able. I seem to only have issues when i use the center channel so i disabled it and can wait a while to upgrade. Hopefully HDMI 2.0 will not up the costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyndromeOCZ View Post
I personally wouldn't wait for 4k support, but then again I'm pretty sure it will be years before 4k actually catches on. IMO it will take longer than bluray did, and the only reason I have anything bluray is because my HTPC bluray drive was free.
At my price point i don't feel the need to get 4K since i know a 4K TV is not in my future, maybe in 10 years i will get one but now that i have a family i am content with 1080p.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post
I recently went from a Onkyo 607 to an Onkyo 709 for my main tv. Pretty impressed with it. Both my dad and I thought it sounded better than the 607 but to be fair that was probably a settings thing. Both i just ran the setup and aydyssy and that was it.

The 709 you can turn off video processing if i remember correctly. Its on the high range of your range though (amazon has it for 530). There is the newer 717 i think it is but i'd shy away from it. Get less features over the 709.

But anyways theres my recommendation! And the 609/616 might suit your needs as well. Though it doesnt have quite as good of specs/features.

Denon's are also well reviewed but i dont know anything about them but dont count them out either
I know Onkyo has lots of features at great price points and I know people who owned them before any HDMI stuff. But i am hesistant because they have had issues and recalls. But i am also not content with the offerings of the others, although i should be. So i will start looking at Onkyo as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:
1 channel is irrelevant and pointless. Look at 5 channels. The Yamaha has a laughable 69w/ch max. And this is their $2200 flagship!

Onkyo's 600-level AVRs have beaten that *easily* for ages. Their 1008 hits 125w on 5 simultaneous channels. Anubis, you're wrong.
* full power only possible briefly before protection limits it to 45 WPC
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
giantpandaman2

I'm surprised no one has asked: What speakers are you driving? How loud do you like it? Is it mostly for music or home theater? Are you an audiophile or do you just want something that does the job well and sounds decent?

Wattage doesn't mean much if your speakers don't need the juice.
giantpandaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpandaman2 View Post
I'm surprised no one has asked: What speakers are you driving? How loud do you like it? Is it mostly for music or home theater? Are you an audiophile or do you just want something that does the job well and sounds decent?

I have NHT Super Zero's and the matched center channel and I enjoy movies and music with my listening shared 50/50 between the two. I used to be an audiophile but right now I cannot crank it up until i finish the basement and move my home theater down there or the very rare occasion i am home alone. I have Paradigm dipole rear speakers that will stay packed away until said basement is finished. Despite building a new home and customizing it the logistics of wall hanging rear speakers did not work for the open concept main floor we have.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
s44
Diamond Member

Refurb Marantz SR5006 = $500

You may not notice the power output differentials, but you'll definitely notice the MultEQ XT room correction in this AVR.

If you want 4K the 5007 refurb supports that for $100 more.

Last edited by s44; 02-17-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Refurb Marantz SR5006 = $500

You may not notice the power output differentials, but you'll definitely notice the MultEQ XT room correction in this AVR.

If you want 4K the 5007 refurb supports that for $100 more.
i have not bought much refurbished. You think this is a fairly safe thing to do for complex products like receivers? That 5006 would work well and give me plenty of power.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
s44
Diamond Member

Yeah, it's safe -- assuming the units are refurbed by the original manufacturer, which these are. Buying with most credit cards will net you an extra year's warranty for a two-year period in which any refurb-related issues should definitely shake themselves out.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
JimKiler
Golden Member

Hmm, i can get 30% off the Yamaha RX-A720 which is $650 on newegg so the price would be $450 and it has 105w. I am not sure which would be better the Marantz 5006 refurb or this deal. I had Yamaha in the past, but on AVS the marantz people sure do love the Audessey XT speaker setup. I wonder how the Yamaha one compares.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpandaman2 View Post

not much diff between 65 and 100 to be realistic.
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKiler View Post
Hmm, i can get 30% off the Yamaha RX-A720 which is $650 on newegg so the price would be $450 and it has 105w. I am not sure which would be better the Marantz 5006 refurb or this deal. I had Yamaha in the past, but on AVS the marantz people sure do love the Audessey XT speaker setup. I wonder how the Yamaha one compares.
Less real power, less sophisticated sound correction, but if you like the Yamaha sound you like the sound.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
JimKiler
Golden Member

Quote:
Less real power, less sophisticated sound correction, but if you like the Yamaha sound you like the sound.
I think you solved my dilemma and steered me back to Marantz.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKiler View Post
I think you solved my dilemma and steered me back to Marantz.
Exactly, MultEQ XT will give you vastly superior sound correction for you specific environment, a no brainner really.

I own a Denon 1712 with MultEQ XT, love it.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote