· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
TastesLikeChicken
Lifer

Default A breakthrough in the dark matter mystery?

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-scienti...r-mystery.html

We may finally get an answer. Or at least, and more likely, a partial answer about the makeup of dark matter.

I guess the big question is how the standard model will account for this?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Ting declined to give details, only suggesting that these highly anticipated results would give humans a better idea about the nature of dark matter.
I really hope they've found something big, but this sounds an awful lot like NASA's "Curiosity has found something history-making on Mars!" last November that I'm still waiting on.

I'll wait until the actual release to start getting revved up.
irishScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
lenablue

I believe in science. Thanks.
lenablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Harabec
Golden Member

I've just been on a visit to the Weizmann Institute where they had a presentation of a theory about how Newton's ideas about gravity don't quite work in extreme cases and some changes can account for "dark matter".

Found something online about it...
http://scienceblogs.com/weizmann/201...ing-theory-wi/

P.S this is just a theory, at the same time they're looking for DM as well.

Last edited by Harabec; 02-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Harabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
wirednuts
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
I really hope they've found something big, but this sounds an awful lot like NASA's "Curiosity has found something history-making on Mars!" last November that I'm still waiting on.

I'll wait until the actual release to start getting revved up.
no kidding. 99% of the breakthrough stories are nothing more then "it MIGHT be here someday!"

i want to see on the front page of msn "MAN HAS CONQUERED GRAVITY!"
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Ventanni

apparently they found life on mars. I have a friend in the news business here in Florida, and he was having drinks with one of the lead scientists at nasa. the guy said it was off the record, but unless.you sign something or the reporter says that, that doesn't really fly in the news business. now I'm skeptical just as much as anyone, but it might explain why they're so hush hush about it all.

I guess we'll find out when they make their big.announcement. I'm as skeptical as anyone, but having been best friends with this guy and never had a history of lying to me, I see no reason not to believe him. time will tell lol
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventanni View Post
apparently they found life on mars. I have a friend in the news business here in Florida, and he was having drinks with one of the lead scientists at nasa. the guy said it was off the record, but unless.you sign something or the reporter says that, that doesn't really fly in the news business. now I'm skeptical just as much as anyone, but it might explain why they're so hush hush about it all.

I guess we'll find out when they make their big.announcement. I'm as skeptical as anyone, but having been best friends with this guy and never had a history of lying to me, I see no reason not to believe him. time will tell lol
Why would they be hush about it? Assuming the evidence is irrefutable, going public with it would certainly give them a bump in funding if nothing else. I seriously doubt they found the Goa'uld on Mars.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
shaynoa

The hole soul reason for not coming forward with there findings is because of man made religion nothing more.
Could you imagine what the religous world would do if they found out that there was human life on Mars or even a life form equall or greater than human.
That would blow there level of understanding and there beliefs right out the window simply because they have lived in a box all there life and never looked outside of that box.
Very soon things are going to be made known about the creator or what ever any one wishes to call him, and it is that simple it has be over looked, a child could understand it, and it's all because we are so small on the scale of things.
Most religous people are to busy listening to the man that stands up the front in there so called church, right within the word church is a total misunderstanding within it's self.
So what is a church, many people have been lead to believe that a church is a building, [ WRONG ] a church is a gathering of people 2 or more in a park, pretty much where ever but for a building, and always remember the creator states he does not dwell in a house or temple built by the hands of man, and also remember the scriptures state you shale only worship to the throne of the creator and to him to whom sits apon it, [ IT DOES NOT STATE AT ALL TO WORSHIP THE VIRGIN Mary, it only states that she will be remembered nothing more.
So here are a few simple facts on why you have not been told that much at all
shaynoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynoa View Post
The hole soul reason for not coming forward with there findings is because of man made religion nothing more.
Could you imagine what the religous world would do if they found out that there was human life on Mars or even a life form equall or greater than human.
That would blow there level of understanding and there beliefs right out the window simply because they have lived in a box all there life and never looked outside of that box.
Very soon things are going to be made known about the creator or what ever any one wishes to call him, and it is that simple it has be over looked, a child could understand it, and it's all because we are so small on the scale of things.
Most religous people are to busy listening to the man that stands up the front in there so called church, right within the word church is a total misunderstanding within it's self.
So what is a church, many people have been lead to believe that a church is a building, [ WRONG ] a church is a gathering of people 2 or more in a park, pretty much where ever but for a building, and always remember the creator states he does not dwell in a house or temple built by the hands of man, and also remember the scriptures state you shale only worship to the throne of the creator and to him to whom sits apon it, [ IT DOES NOT STATE AT ALL TO WORSHIP THE VIRGIN Mary, it only states that she will be remembered nothing more.
So here are a few simple facts on why you have not been told that much at all
Yeah, no. NASA is not concealing information because they're afraid of religious people. The scientific world has bald-faced challenged religious beliefs for centuries, in times and places where the church was much more brutal and effectively half the sate (Kepler, Gallileo, etc).

Please don't try to turn this into a religious thread, we have off topic for that.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
shaynoa

Why would i even try to turn it into a religous thread when it is not, believe me i would start a new thead if that was the case, and NASA would be afraid of 2 things the release of tech and the reaction of the religous world, because it would be either way enough to over throw goverments which would mean the lose of control
Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
shaynoa

The heating of our solar system has nothing to do with carbon fuels, what is causing this is our position within the gallaxy at this point in time which puts us in line with the black hole in the centre of our galaxy to which could be imitting dark matter that is reacting with the core of the sun and every planet within the said system that aproaches or departs the central plane of the galaxy.
Proof of this is simple, put a candle 7 inches away from a balloon, nothing happens to the balloon, now if we could put the candle inside the balloon the heat finds the weakest point and expands the balloon, the earth and the solar system are no different from the balloon.
This is why the tectonic plates are thining from the inside out to which is causing much greater earthquakes that produce bigger tsunami
heat from the outside will not cause a dormant volcano to erupt

Last edited by shaynoa; 02-28-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Matt1970
Lifer

Quote:
Why would i even try to turn it into a religous thread when it is not, believe me i would start a new thead if that was the case, and NASA would be afraid of 2 things the release of tech and the reaction of the religous world, because it would be either way enough to over throw goverments which would mean the lose of control
The whole purpose for Nasa going to Mars was to look for life. Now if they supposedly found it they would afraid to release the info?
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
And you think that revealing they'd found, say, some primitive bacteria living in the Martian soil would destabilize governments?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
shaynoa

They might let you know of micro life form, but not much more than that,
but with all respect if you think they went there just for that then you should really go and read Alice in Wonderland again
if radio telescope can see galaxies hunderds of light years away or our satillites can see plants on the suface of our planet from space, then why did we need to send any probe there at all, really just think about it for a few seconds, the universe is full of life, the universe is life within life as is a cell within your very own body, now think of it on that scale, you are a god to the cells in your own body think of it that way.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
shaynoa

If you keep posting the statement about a religious thread irishscott i will start to believe it is just that
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
shaynoa

Well look they found the building blocks to life on Mars, wow what a supprise,
let me jump one step ahead and tell you the 75% of all planets in near every solar system will have the building blocks,, i wonder if they will tell you anymore?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
z1ggy
Diamond Member

Wow the guy who barely uses capital letters and periods at the end of his sentences must have tons of credibility within the scientific community and can most definitely speak with a high level of knowledge about this subject....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashiker View Post
Women are sexual objects, always have been, always will be, so get over it.
z1ggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
wirednuts
Diamond Member

i think if they did find life, they would do what it takes to be 1000% certain there is no way anyone can dispute it. its been almost 6 months, but i could see it taking that long just to put their case together....
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1ggy View Post
Wow the guy who barely uses capital letters and periods at the end of his sentences must have tons of credibility within the scientific community and can most definitely speak with a high level of knowledge about this subject....
Never mind that he apparently doesn't know how to use the edit button. And conspiracy theorists wonder why no one takes them seriously.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Ajay
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
http://phys.org/news/2013-02-scienti...r-mystery.html

We may finally get an answer. Or at least, and more likely, a partial answer about the makeup of dark matter.

I guess the big question is how the standard model will account for this?
What? I thought there was momentum building around quantum fluctuations in empty space being responsible for "dark matter's" mass.

http://youtu.be/EgpFlqkKlVM

Since this talk also addresses philosophy and religion; a rebuttal is available here:

http://youtu.be/u_04sMOZrNU
Asus P6T V2 Deluxe Ci7 970 @ 4.2GHz w/HT, Corsair H100i, 2x240GB SanDisk Extreme RAID0, 2x WD VR 300GB RAID0, MSI GTX 680 PE @ 1110MHz, 12GB G.Skill Riojaws DDR3 1600, Corair 850HX, Corsair 800D case. Win7 x64 Ultimate. Dell U2412M.
Heatware

Last edited by Ajay; 03-17-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: change to more appropriate working.
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #21
shaynoa

Wow look irishscott has found a back bone in his new friend Z1ggy, i wonder if they are going out together, as boyfriend and boyfriend, just noticed that niether of you two used capitals in the begining of your name,wow that must raise me above you in some way that only your small brains must understand.
If you two were told the truth about the universe you would sit in a corner cringing and crying hopping that they don't come near you, nothing but fools

Last edited by shaynoa; 03-14-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
shaynoa

And this is also a good reason for why you are never told anything,
if you don't understand it's because you are to busy fighting with each other.

Because you don't understand something you make fun of it, how will you ever learn.
Your simple lack of understanding even of the Holy Words, you think it refers to religion, the Holy Word has nothing to do with your man made religion.
the scriptures are only a way of life nothing more, mans religion is only a means of controling the mases.
Understand that what i study is the holy scripture but as a map to the Universe and beyond, with the knowledge that each planet is a room or each solar system is a room within the body of our creator, and add nothing more to it.
the sciptures state in my fathers house there are many rooms,
in other word far more life than you have ever dreamed of.
Do not judge others if you yourself do not understand
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Gibsons
Lifer

Well, it's been at least two weeks, I haven't seen anything. It's supposed to be in Nature, is that correct?
When a tiger's around!
Gibsons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:
The heating of our solar system has nothing to do with carbon fuels, what is causing this is our position within the gallaxy at this point in time which puts us in line with the black hole in the centre of our galaxy to which could be imitting dark matter that is reacting with the core of the sun and every planet within the said system that aproaches or departs the central plane of the galaxy.
Proof of this is simple, put a candle 7 inches away from a balloon, nothing happens to the balloon, now if we could put the candle inside the balloon the heat finds the weakest point and expands the balloon, the earth and the solar system are no different from the balloon.
This is why the tectonic plates are thining from the inside out to which is causing much greater earthquakes that produce bigger tsunami
heat from the outside will not cause a dormant volcano to erupt
Your post is fine for Off Topic. But, please try to keep your posts confined to more factual information, not information that is silly or disproven, in Highly Technical. For the most part, keep the religion threads there or P&N as well. -Admin DrPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons View Post
Well, it's been at least two weeks, I haven't seen anything. It's supposed to be in Nature, is that correct?
Came back to this thread, when I saw the thread title and remembered, "oh yeah." I hadn't seen another word anywhere.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Wow look irishscott has found a back bone in his new friend Z1ggy, i wonder if they are going out together, as boyfriend and boyfriend, just noticed that niether of you two used capitals in the begining of your name,wow that must raise me above you in some way that only your small brains must understand.
If you two were told the truth about the universe you would sit in a corner cringing and crying hopping that they don't come near you, nothing but fools
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=218_1363518864