· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #51
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmatney View Post
Just get a Samsung or Intel SSD - they come with toolbox software which can perform a manual TRIM. You can schedule a Manual TRIM to happen once a week with the Intel SSD toolbox, and I do this for several Windows XP machines, which also don't support native TRIM. I wouldn't bother messing around with a PCI-e controller card.
+1 for that...

That's what I'm doing on my XPBOX, actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner99 View Post
This is rubbish.

For what 90% of people do his CPU more than good enough. Personally I would say if it flash would not suck so much and Atoms had proper HD acceleration they would be enough for most people.

I just had to play around with my parents now laptop, meaning brand new Windows install. I can't stand computers with HDDs anymore. they drive me crazy...

For general use, SSD will be OPs best upgrade. probably the best he ever made considering it's only 1 component. of course there will be no benefit for gaming or say video encoding. But the computer just feels it is doing what your telling it do do without constant delays...
You'd be surprised how many ordinary (e.g. non-enthusiasts) who are perfectly happy with a Brazos+SSD combo...
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post
I'm curious about all of these comparisons between an SSD and HDD that were "amazing results". Were all of these examples imaged from what was on the HDD at the point in time that it was slow? I highly doubt it.
It doesn't need to be imaged from a "slow" system to be amazing results. Some of us have installed windows dozens of times and know the speed of a clean system.

A good SSD is ~2x faster sequential and ~100x faster random access.
On some usage scenarios it isn't all that faster (2x), on others it is very very much noticeable (100x is amazing). On many its somewhere between the two.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not superman!
The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong.
taltamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #53
yefi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie View Post
ichy, taltamir is never wrong and never admits it when he is.
So you're going to apologize in front of everybody now huh? That's right, on your knees, do it properly...
yefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #54
beginner99
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Nickname View Post
You'd be surprised how many ordinary (e.g. non-enthusiasts) who are perfectly happy with a Brazos+SSD combo...
thats pretty much what I wrote isn't it?
beginner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #55
serpretetsky

whoah.... this thread fooled me. For those of you that are deciding to join just now:
This was a necrobump on page 2.
serpretetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #56
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner99 View Post
thats pretty much what I wrote isn't it?
Yep...

Was more of a general observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpretetsky View Post
whoah.... this thread fooled me. For those of you that are deciding to join just now:
This was a necrobump on page 2.
Depends on your definition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddRamos View Post
I will use this thread to ask the same question about upgrading my really old PC with SSD.
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #57
pandemonium
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
It doesn't need to be imaged from a "slow" system to be amazing results. Some of us have installed windows dozens of times and know the speed of a clean system.

A good SSD is ~2x faster sequential and ~100x faster random access.
On some usage scenarios it isn't all that faster (2x), on others it is very very much noticeable (100x is amazing). On many its somewhere between the two.
I have both SSD and HDD. I was advocating the fact that an SSD isn't necessarily going to be the biggest performance boost one can make with other legacy hardware.

Though it may seem like it in this thread, not the entire world is out to get you, taltamir.

If you're curious about getting into vaping, I'd be glad to help! I quit smoking with vaping! /truestory
pandemonium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #58
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post
I have both SSD and HDD. I was advocating the fact that an SSD isn't necessarily going to be the biggest performance boost one can make with other legacy hardware.
Thanks for clarifying.
I agree that while SSD is an awesome improvement on some really really old system it might actually be better to upgrade other parts first.

Quote:
Though it may seem like it in this thread, not the entire world is out to get you, taltamir.
And after I invested all that XP into improved paranoia 5

The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #59
bigrash
Lifer

I don't think it's worth it in my opinion.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #60
sm625
Diamond Member

It is definitely worth it to get an SSD. But there is a caviat. New SSDs seem to have a price wall that is just purely ridiculous. You have to pay $60+ just to upgrade an old machine to an SSD, even if that old machine is hooked to a NAS and is only using 13GB on its local HDD! I say wtf put down the crack pipe! Unfortunately there is no reasonable market for 20-30GB budget SSDs. There is intel and ebay however. Intel SSDs are very reliable and trustworthy. I've bought several from ebay, as low as $32.50 shipped for the 40GB X25-V version! Cant go wrong there. Even a X25-V runs great, but you really want to score an 80GB X25-M. But I would not go on newegg and shell out $70 frickin dollars for the cheapest quality SSD on there, that's just nuts. And dont forget there are also lots of the 32GB SLC versions floating around. These are very fast and are priced low because alot of people simply dont know what they've got.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #61
OddRamos

Thank you all for your input and opinions.

Iíve decided not to use PCIe to SATA3 controller card and plug an SSD directly to my motherboardís SATA1 connector without the support of AHCI, NCQ and TRIM.

Iíll be running windows XP, so probably an SSD with capacity around 60 GB would be enough.

Since there will be no AHCI support, I think, an SSD should have a good garbage collection system and ability to run TRIM command manually using included software like toolbox etc.

Do you know some SSD models that operate well on really old machines based on users experience?

What particular SSD model that would run well using SATA1 without AHCI support on windows XP would you recommend?
OddRamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #62
compcons
Golden Member

I upgraded a netbook that was on a shelf because it was too slow according to my daughter. I had a corsair SSD collecting dust and put it in with Ubuntu. It was actually quite fast. I decided to dual boot winxp and Ubuntu and now both OSes are very usable. It doesn't make the CPU better, but from a day to day usage, I would contend that an SSD makes a bigger difference in those older systems. CPUs are so overpowered for most task (excluding gaming, graphics, etc) that the resource is idle quite often. You may consider looking at your resource monitoring before saying a particular component is constrained.

EH

My Heat
compcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #63
bigi
Golden Member

Quote:
no.
Get a new mobo ram and CPU first.
This is so wrong at so many levels that I must say that people never cease to amaze me with their ignorance.

With an older system such as OP's the SSD will bring the most significant performance as long as RAM size is sufficient.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #64
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigi View Post
This is so wrong at so many levels that I must say that people never cease to amaze me with their ignorance.

With an older system such as OP's the SSD will bring the most significant performance as long as RAM size is sufficient.
its always hilarious to be called ignorant when you are right.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #65
Brunnis

I just recently did an upgrade like this. My work laptop is a Lenovo R500 with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo. It previously had a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate drive with Windows 7 on it. The machine felt really sluggish, even with no antivirus, malware or other crap on it. Since I had a Samsung 830 128GB laying around, I decided to put it in. Man, what a difference it made! The computer performs very quickly and consistently, even when doing lots of things at the same time.

The CPU performance is obviously not very good, but for what I'm currently using the machine for, I'm mostly IO bound anyway. Since CPU and IO performance is disconnected to such a degree, it's not really possible to say that upgrading to an SSD on an old machine is pointless. Right now, I'd prefer this machine with an SSD over one with a faster CPU and an HDD.

Ohh, and obviously, the difference between a laptop HDD and an SSD is larger than between a desktop HDD and an SSD. The HDD's are still both orders of magnitude slower than the SSD, though, so I think my case applies quite well anyway.
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Chieftec Mesh
Corsair HX520W
Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Samsung 830 256GB
WD Caviar Blue 640GB
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Brunnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #66
Eug
Lifer

^^^ Yep.

I just put an uber slow SSD (by modern standards) in my MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo (2008) with GMA X3100 graphics.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...8#post34875418

This thing absolutely flies now.

I haven't bothered for my desktops though. I can't for the iMac, and the Windows 7 desktop with 7200 rpm desktop hard drive is OK. Not as fast as SSD, but not as painful as a 5400 rpm laptop drive.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #67
Octopuss
Golden Member

Quote:
no.
Get a new mobo ram and CPU first.
This is as far from reality as can be.
SSD is hands down THE best performance booster you can get for ANY PC that has classic hard disk, period. You can have 5GHz 3770K and asstriolabytes of memory, and it would still crawl like a snail.

Besides, you didn't even read his post.
Octopuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #68
bigi
Golden Member

Quote:
its always hilarious to be called ignorant when you are right.
Lol, read the posts below - Please. You are not only ignorant but an idiot too.
Stop touching the keyboard, your post number is fine.