· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
PCVSnotebook

Default No windows 8 key with new notebook ?

Hi,

I have this problem , I bought this new Asus Notebook (the Vivo book), and with Windows 8...

The problem here is that I can not find the key anywhere .. I want to replace the Harddisk with SSD , and need to install a fresh Windows 8 pro , and I cant locate the Key anywhere (I am using my retail Windows 8 disk for that) ...

Asus didnt come with any recovery disks .. Just pre installed Windows 8 .. and has a hidden partition of 16G for the system Back up... and I cant use it at all , I have to remove it and install the SSD ... and it doesn't work from USB3 case as well ... the auto recover, so I had to use the Windows 8 DVD I have , and I just need the key . Looking at the System , there is a key but it is covered by ***** and I cant locate it ...

Is there a way to find the key ? I read somewhere , windows 8 stores it in the Bios .. but where and how ? I dont want to waste 16G on SSD as well the SSD is too small for that.
PCVSnotebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
lxskllr
Lifer

Look inside the machine; physically. Under the battery, under a ram access cover, whatever...
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Pardus
Banned

comment removed

Last edited by Pardus; 02-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo View Post
windows 8 OEM comes with no sticker. Supposedly key is embedded in BIOS and windows installer gets it from there. or run Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to get the product key.
MJBK is unnecessary. The key is very much embedded in the BIOS, and when the Windows 8 installer sees it, it will automatically set itself as the right version and load that key. Reinstalling Windows has been reduced to finding media and running it.

As for reinstall options, most Windows devices come with a way to create recovery media from the recovery partition. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to track down a Windows 8 disc, flash drive, etc. Any one (of the right bitness) will do.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
mikeymikec
Diamond Member

Does anyone know if the retail disc can be used to install Win8 with an OEM licence?
mikeymikec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymikec View Post
Does anyone know if the retail disc can be used to install Win8 with an OEM licence?
Yes, it can.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Emulex
Diamond Member

the key is in the bios. It rewrites itself when its activated online. OA3 must be activated online.

Just like office 2013, your o/s is tied to that motherboard and only that motherboard

chew on that one.
Browser: Dell 530 Q6600 4GB - Kingston 96gb -gt240- hp LP3065 IPS - 7ult
Tabs: IPAD 1,2,3 IPOD3,HTC flyer, Galaxy Tab - all rooted/jb
Couch1: Macbook Air/Macbook White
Couch2: Macbook Pro 17 2.66 Matte screen - 8GB - SSD
HTPC: Asus C2Q8300/X25-V - Geforce 430- 7ult - Antec MicroFusion 350
Emulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
country2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulex View Post
the key is in the bios. It rewrites itself when its activated online. OA3 must be activated online.

Just like office 2013, your o/s is tied to that motherboard and only that motherboard

chew on that one.
So..new mb = sol?

Guess either your given a number of installs or you have to call MS and get it re-set?
country2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
RU482
Lifer

OEM activation 3.0 has no product key to type in. The unique product key gets programmed into the BIOS of each unit
RU482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
corkyg
Peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by country2 View Post
So..new mb = sol?

Guess either your given a number of installs or you have to call MS and get it re-set?
New mobo in a notebook is not likely.

... Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical for the thing to pass...... Dr. J. Gruber, ACA Architectural Consultant
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
atguy10

The key is embedded in the BIOS.

Technically, you shouldn't ever need to use the key. If you need to reinstall Windows 8 (and you are using the correct media), it will automatically fetch the key from the BIOS.

Also, when repair shops replace a motherboard, a new key will be embedded into that motherboard and registered with Microsoft automatically, and the old key from the old motherboard will be de-activated.
atguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atguy10 View Post
Also, when repair shops replace a motherboard, a new key will be embedded into that motherboard and registered with Microsoft automatically, and the old key from the old motherboard will be de-activated.
Any idea where to get the tools, in order to extract a product key from an old motherboard, and inject it into a new mobo?

(And how does that work, when the old mobo has failed completely? How do you run the extractor?)
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
atguy10

The tools are only available to authorized repair shops. You might find them via Google.

From my understanding, there would be no need to retrieve the old key from the old motherboard. Microsoft stores your activation statistics in their database. When you boot up the first time after a motherboard swap, your computer sends the new key to Microsoft and they remove the old key from their database.

Microsoft has a way to figure out which key is tied to which motherboard.
atguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
knev

if the laptop has come with OEM License, there should windows8 label on your laptop.
When buying a laptop, opt for OS CD which willbe addon cost. Recover CD helps only to recover the corrupted OS but do not make any fresh installation.

You can download trial version of the OS and then activate it by using your OEM key.
knev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Imaginer
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knev View Post
if the laptop has come with OEM License, there should windows8 label on your laptop.
When buying a laptop, opt for OS CD which willbe addon cost. Recover CD helps only to recover the corrupted OS but do not make any fresh installation.

You can download trial version of the OS and then activate it by using your OEM key.
Define fresh installations. Factory fresh defaults is what they are suppose to do, bareboned default driver OS installs, no.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Gunbuster
Diamond Member

Quote:
The tools are only available to authorized repair shops. You might find them via Google.

From my understanding, there would be no need to retrieve the old key from the old motherboard. Microsoft stores your activation statistics in their database. When you boot up the first time after a motherboard swap, your computer sends the new key to Microsoft and they remove the old key from their database.

Microsoft has a way to figure out which key is tied to which motherboard.
I don't think it's that complex. At least with Windows 7 it is just a key in the bios that the OEM install/restore looks for and if found windows activates. No reporting back to the mothership...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Matt1970
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knev View Post

Please don't just make stuff up as you go along.
Matt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
douglasb
Diamond Member

Quote:
The key is embedded in the BIOS.

Technically, you shouldn't ever need to use the key. If you need to reinstall Windows 8 (and you are using the correct media), it will automatically fetch the key from the BIOS.

So what happens if you want to install a different version of the OS? For example, if it came with Windows 8 "Home" or whatever the non-Pro one is called, and I want to install Pro?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Gunbuster
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
So what happens if you want to install a different version of the OS? For example, if it came with Windows 8 "Home" or whatever the non-Pro one is called, and I want to install Pro?
If you were installing a different version of the OS it wouldn't be the OEM version anymore so it will prompt you to enter your newly purchased key.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
You upgrade using the Pro Pack. In fact that's basically the only way that will work, as if you try to install Pro, the Windows installer will see the BIOS key for Core and install that instead.