· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #101
OverVolt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmanahan View Post
lol, pretty much this

if the population of the internet would try to do something with their lives instead of whining about banks and rich people, a lot more of them would be far better off.

but tbh many people dont want to learn, adapt, and work hard - they want things to be handed to them, they want to live it up easily, and they dont want anything to change.

well, thats not how the world works.
Eh alot of people are getting not just Bachelors but Phds and masters now in worthless subjects because their parents told them they had to go to college.

I don't blame the banks I'm NOT in that much debt but I know some of Gen Y had to take $200k in loans to get a $60k job. I'm personally done with it. The cost/benefit is out the window. The job prospects are frankly not good and the debt required to get a job knocks one down to the poverty line in spending money now.

It is legitimately the 2008 recession students hiding from the economy who graduated in 2012 and are like "oh shit its not any better, time for a masters" and now they are gonna hide another 2-4 years. I'm going to get the jump on them and just work unrelated to my degree because I don't think when they graduate again it'll be any better the second time. The double down will fail.

Its a disaster.

Last edited by OverVolt; 02-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.
OverVolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #102
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by child of wonder View Post
Having zero desire to enter management I'm very content with my AAS degree. However, those I know that are pursuing Master's degrees aren't interested in management either. They're going into networking or security. They see the higher education as a doorway to higher pay which, in my opinion, is the wrong way to look at it if you're an IT professional with no aspirations of management.
I just want out of IT but can't figure out a way to make the transition while maintaining my current compensation. That's why I've considered an MBA but I have serious doubts about the ROI at this stage.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
IndyColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #103
child of wonder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtsFan View Post
I just want out of IT but can't figure out a way to make the transition while maintaining my current compensation. That's why I've considered an MBA but I have serious doubts about the ROI at this stage.
You're in traditional IT right now, aren't you? Have you considered working for a VAR or consulting firm as a full time employee? As a post sales implementation engineer you can easily earn over $100k and over $150k as a pre-sales architect.

I was leery of moving into consulting 3 years ago but really enjoy it. Rather than your employer seeing you, a member of their IT team, as an expense they wish they could cut, as a consultant you're a product that your company is selling. I can't speak for all consulting companies, but at mine we are treated very, very well.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #104
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

Quote:
You're in traditional IT right now, aren't you? Have you considered working for a VAR or consulting firm as a full time employee? As a post sales implementation engineer you can easily earn over $100k and over $150k as a pre-sales architect.

I was leery of moving into consulting 3 years ago but really enjoy it. Rather than your employer seeing you, a member of their IT team, as an expense they wish they could cut, as a consultant you're a product that your company is selling. I can't speak for all consulting companies, but at mine we are treated very, very well.
Yeah, as a Sharepoint consultant, I could make $130k-$150k but I really am tired of Sharepoint.

I've considered going back and brushing up my EE skills and going back into EE but not sure how feasible.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
child of wonder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, as a Sharepoint consultant, I could make $130k-$150k but I really am tired of Sharepoint.

I've considered going back and brushing up my EE skills and going back into EE but not sure how feasible.
Considered other technologies? System Center 2012 and Hyper-V 2012 are going to take off.

Outside of that, you're pretty much stuck switching careers entirely.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #106
holden j caufield
Diamond Member

Quote:

Do you get benefits? Seems like a lot are full time contractors.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #107
child of wonder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden j caufield View Post
Do you get benefits? Seems like a lot are full time contractors.
Some companies only hire contractors but the company I work for hires full time employees so we all get full benefits.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #108
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

Quote:
Considered other technologies? System Center 2012 and Hyper-V 2012 are going to take off.

Outside of that, you're pretty much stuck switching careers entirely.
Yeah, I've considered some other things such as project management. I qualify to sit for the PMP but dear lord, I think I'd rather watch paint dry than be a PM.

What I was thinking is to knock out the Windows 2008 MCSA, do the Windows 2012 upgrade test, and then I'll have several MCSE certifications to choose from and could get them with just a few tests -- even a Sharepoint 2013 MCSE. I've also thought about just resigning myself to Sharepoint, knocking out the SP 2010 certs, and then going the consulting route in that and then upgrade to SP 2013. There's a ton of money to be had in Sharepoint right now.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #109
child of wonder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've considered some other things such as project management. I qualify to sit for the PMP but dear lord, I think I'd rather watch paint dry than be a PM.

What I was thinking is to knock out the Windows 2008 MCSA, do the Windows 2012 upgrade test, and then I'll have several MCSE certifications to choose from and could get them with just a few tests -- even a Sharepoint 2013 MCSE. I've also thought about just resigning myself to Sharepoint, knocking out the SP 2010 certs, and then going the consulting route in that and then upgrade to SP 2013. There's a ton of money to be had in Sharepoint right now.
If you do want to go the consulting route the company I work for is always looking for good people. It's a nationwide company of 400+ employees and growing fast. You wouldn't need to move or travel much if you didn't want to. Lots of working from home when projects allow.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #110
Imp
Lifer

The marketing machine for the education industry seems to be in overdrive nowadays (maybe I wasn't paying attention before). Must admit that I bought into it until recently, especially with parents and teachers pushing me on top of it.

MBA advertising seems to take the cake though. Every time I think about doing an MBA and google "MBA worthless", I get a bunch of targetted ads from local universities advertising their MBA programs. My local papers now feature entire sections on their websites and multi-page features in their physical dailies every few months on how great an MBA is -- completely and totally biased, paid for sections without easily seen "this feature paid for by" notes.

I got my undergrad and grad degrees. Sometimes I wish I just did a technology diploma, but then remember how much personal growth I got out of both degrees.
Imp is online now   Reply With Quote