· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
destrekor
Lifer

Default Multi Function Printers

Inkjet, laser - I don't know if I have a particular care one direction or the other. Being able to print photos, thus inkjet, would be a nice bonus, but it's so rare that it wouldn't even be a big deal to instead just go to a Target or a drug store.

But overall device cost, plus overall printing cost, plus print speed - I don't demand the best in each category, but a great compromise between all of them is definitely ideal.

Network capability: demand.

Scan function: if it can scan photos, wonderful. I DON'T expect one to have the ability to scan film negatives, but it would be oh so nice. At the same rate, I cannot imagine one with that feature would do the negatives any justice.
More ideal: multi-page document scanning ability.

Duplex printing and scanning: very awesome, would love. In fact, I might just say: demand.

Overall printing ability: as awesome as possible for an attractive price.

With that said, does the following, with the deals mentioned, actually happen to match all of that?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Epson+-+...4530&cp=1&lp=1

It's not found on that page, but found in the ad:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computin...DCMP=rdr103475

$50 off (in addition to the already stated sale price), simply by bringing in "a printer" to recycle.

Am I reading that right: I could bring in any junker of a printer, and get an instant $50 off that specific Epson printer? So, all said and done, I could have that printer for $140 before tax?

If all that is indeed correct, is this one of those: if this is the type of thing you are looking for, you would be stupid to pass up this deal?

PC Mag seems impressed with it's slightly-snazzier brother, the WF Pro 4540. Epson states they are essentially identical overall, but the 4540 has three paper trays, and appears to have a larger (touch) menu, whereas the 4530 looks like a smaller screen with more buttons (i.e. appears to not have touch).

In comparison, Amazon has the 4530 for $190 as well, and the 4540 for $250.

Are there other models I should be looking at, however, even if it means spending, say, $170 as opposed to the $140 after all the deals at Best Buy?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
flyboy84
Golden Member

Look good to me, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great to see a non-touchscreen device. So many models have touchscreens, but I think it's a gimmick. I think I'll pick it up today.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy84 View Post
Look good to me, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great to see a non-touchscreen device. So many models have touchscreens, but I think it's a gimmick. I think I'll pick it up today.
Heh, I was thinking otherwise - touchscreen on a printer, at least on a professional-style printer, seems like an awesome feature... but I wouldn't go out of my way.

I already see how it could be a timesaver on a printer such as this one.

Not sure if you've ever interacted with any large-platter professional copy machines/multi-function machines, but the ones I've used lately have had touch-screen controls - and they make life very easy for more advanced uses.

Something as simple as turning two 1-side pages in the tray into one 2-sided print job requires digging through the menu using arrows and whatnot, but I imagine it may be a simply tap or two on a touch-screen model.

With all that said, I did take advantage of that deal at BestBuy. Took a little time, and got a few confused looks but ultimately they figured it out - I took an old HP printer in, and got the Workforce Pro 4530 for $140 before tax.
So far, I like this thing. It'll take a little time digging through the on-board menus and all the options in the driver panel, to really get a feel for what this printer is (and is not) capable of, and how well it does what it can do.
So far, after a few tests, I've been pleased with print quality.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
her209
No Lifer

Wish I saw this earlier. I have an old HP Laserjet that I could trade in. Best Buy closes in 8 minutes.