Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default Is this normal on the 8th gen Accord?

My wife got a new 2012 Accord in Aug of last year and I was wondering if this is normal for the 5 speed auto transmission.

Whenever the car is shifted from R to D the tranny does a little click sound that you can feel as well. It doesn't sound or feel like the car is falling apart but I haven't encountered a click like that before on any other car I've owned. Should I take it in to the dealer or is this normal for the Honda auto trans?
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Jimzz
Diamond Member
 
Jimzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NoVA
Posts: 3,066
Default

Hard to say. Best thing to do is give it a little more time and next time you are near a dealer ask to sit in another Accord and see if it does the same while they look yours over.
Jimzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
amdhunter
Lifer
 
amdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 22,210
Default

My 7th Gen Civic did that all the time. At first I thought it was a mount that was broken, but sure enough a new one at the dealership did the same thing. Not sure if your car shares anything with the Civic platform though.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
My 7th Gen Civic did that all the time. At first I thought it was a mount that was broken, but sure enough a new one at the dealership did the same thing. Not sure if your car shares anything with the Civic platform though.
Maybe it's the same tranny on both?
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
RagingBITCH
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,384
Default

That's normal on the 4 cylinder transmissions. I forgot what the click actually does, but it happens on my 04 Accord, my sister's 04 Acc, and my dad's 12.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

I had a click in my axle when changing directions (forwards or reverse) on my Civic.
Sounds similar to what you describe. I had the axle replaced under warranty and it was gone. Guy said he'd never seen an axle have to be replaced on a new car. (it only had like 20k miles on it at the time)
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
amdhunter
Lifer
 
amdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 22,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
I had a click in my axle when changing directions (forwards or reverse) on my Civic.
Sounds similar to what you describe. I had the axle replaced under warranty and it was gone. Guy said he'd never seen an axle have to be replaced on a new car. (it only had like 20k miles on it at the time)
Yep. This is what I had. My motor mounts did break after about 2000 miles.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,653
Default

I will second (or third or whatever number) it likely being in the axle.

I've experienced factory axle click issues. Volvo had them because they used little weak-ass bolts to secure them (not external nuts). The TSB involved installing stronger bolts at a higher torque with, IIRC, a rubber washer underneath.

The problem is typically because the axle is simply not quite seated all the way, and reversing the direction of applied torque causes a click due to a miniscule amount of play between the external splines on the axle and the internal splines on the hub.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default

Well I made an appointment at the Honda dealer to get it checked out tomorrow. Hopefully they won't just say it's a normal thing.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,653
Default

I would find it somewhat unlikely that they would do anything unless a TSB has addressed it. Did the service advisor mention having seen that problem?

Or did you have to talk to some kind of scheduling secretary? I hate that crap.

In addition to axles, it's also possible that there is a bad torque mount on the engine. Or given the car's age...a loose one. When you switch between D/R, the whole engine/trans assembly wants to kick one way or the other, and a torque mount (only deals with that sideways force on the engine/trans; different from the load-bearing mounts) that is not properly secured to the frame (or engine/trans) could cause that noise.

How loud is it?
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
I would find it somewhat unlikely that they would do anything unless a TSB has addressed it. Did the service advisor mention having seen that problem?

Or did you have to talk to some kind of scheduling secretary? I hate that crap.

In addition to axles, it's also possible that there is a bad torque mount on the engine. Or given the car's age...a loose one. When you switch between D/R, the whole engine/trans assembly wants to kick one way or the other, and a torque mount (only deals with that sideways force on the engine/trans; different from the load-bearing mounts) that is not properly secured to the frame (or engine/trans) could cause that noise.

How loud is it?
I spoke to a scheduling person. The click is pretty loud IMO and you can definitely feel it too.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,653
Default

You generally can't feel anything axle-related. It's just noise.

...someone probably forgot to tighten something at the factory, TBQH.

If it's enough that you can feel the click (I'd graduate it to a 'clank' at that point), I'd pursue this until they fix it.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #13
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

Get it checked. That doesn't sound right. Might be fluid, or bushings or little parts of the guy who fell in during assembly.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
DaTT
Lifer
 
DaTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 12,127
Default

LOL, probably just the shifter sitting into the detent where D is...j/k

Keep us updated though. I am curious as to what it is.
__________________
HEAT

Official Member of the ATOT Muscle Car Club
2005 Mustang GT -- Mineral Grey -- Red Leather -- Fully Loaded -- 300RWHP/326 RWTQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray To Jesus View Post
I told her that after she have kids and her vagina is looser, then I will give it a try.
DaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
evident
Lifer
 
evident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,131
Default

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36814
evident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
RagingBITCH
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTT View Post
LOL, probably just the shifter sitting into the detent where D is...j/k

Keep us updated though. I am curious as to what it is.
I'd be willing to bet the dealership tells him it's normal - as evidenced by evident's post. I asked the dealer back when I first bought it (brought it in for a TSB) and they said it was normal - even test drove another Accord and it did it. There was a "logical" reason for the click, something about a safety feature IIRC.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,653
Default

That post isn't describing R to D or vice versa. They're saying they put it into gear and roll a few feet.

If it is actually normal, and not just being ignored because the dealer and/or manufacturer doesn't want to fix it, I would throw a guess out and say maybe it's the ABS running a self-test. (edit: the 'drive a few feet' variant, that is)
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
RagingBITCH
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
That post isn't describing R to D or vice versa. They're saying they put it into gear and roll a few feet.

If it is actually normal, and not just being ignored because the dealer and/or manufacturer doesn't want to fix it, I would throw a guess out and say maybe it's the ABS running a self-test. (edit: the 'drive a few feet' variant, that is)
burb - he's not saying it's rolling: "Whenever the car is shifted from R to D the tranny does a little click sound that you can feel as well."

I know exactly the click he's talking about - it's in a non-moving, shifting when parked position. It's occurred as far back as at least my 7th gen Accord, and in his case, 8th gen. I can validate the issue on 3 separate Accords, even when brand new. I'd hope it's not an actual technical issue, as that would mean Honda hasn't done shit to fix it in 10 years.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default

Ok so I just got back from the dealer and they said that it is normal. He then proceeded to explain but I didn't really get it, but it has something to do with the brakes and the ABS system. The reason why it is louder in the morning is because the brakes are not warmed up. He did say Honda put out a TSB on it though because apparently a ton of people have brought in their cars asking about it. Car runs perfectly other than that so I figure I will just keep an eye on it.

On a side note got to drive the 2013 Accord and it is very nice. Much improved interior and I think Honda got the CVT right.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
RagingBITCH
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Ok so I just got back from the dealer and they said that it is normal. He then proceeded to explain but I didn't really get it, but it has something to do with the brakes and the ABS system. The reason why it is louder in the morning is because the brakes are not warmed up. He did say Honda put out a TSB on it though because apparently a ton of people have brought in their cars asking about it. Car runs perfectly other than that so I figure I will just keep an eye on it.

On a side note got to drive the 2013 Accord and it is very nice. Much improved interior and I think Honda got the CVT right.
Better safe than sorry! Yea the '13 is a beaut. I'd like to trade in my 04 and get one but just don't want the car payment.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.