· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you use a cacmera case/bag for your DSLR?
yes 38 90.48%
no 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Turbonium
Golden Member

Default Do you use a camera case/bag for your DSLR?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth dropping the 40 bucks or so that a basic DSLR bag goes for.

Really, I kinda just want to put it in my (unpadded) backpack and head out to take some shots. I'm paranoid it might get damaged though, because my backpack is pretty cheap and flimsy.

EDIT: Ew at the typo in the poll.

Last edited by Turbonium; 02-13-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
fralexandr
Golden Member

funny (and useful) video on dslr durability
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

if you're just going to put it inside your backpack, you can just get whatever cheapy camera bag you can find.

The cheapy bags aren't nearly as convenient (somewhat unweildy/uncomfortable) when using them outside of a backpack, but provide good enough protection. And are pretty easy to access in a backpack. I've done this a few times while travelling.
http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-CA48...words=dslr+bag

also there are several good $30 bags out there
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-2400-SLR...words=dslr+bag

you can also find quality camera bags on craigslist for pretty cheap.

most of the time i just go out with my camera and 1 lens on my blackrapid rs-7 camera strap though, so I'm going to vote no I don't (normally) use a camera bag. There are various situations where it comes in handy though, so the vote doesn't mean I don't recommend getting one.

Last edited by fralexandr; 02-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.
fralexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

IMO it's more than worth buying a backpack or bag so you can carry your camera and additional lenses, flash, etc. securely as you progress in the hobby.

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
blastingcap
Diamond Member

Get a used bag for cheap and wipe it down with alcohol or launder it if it's possible. There are so many deals out there that bundle DSLR bags with cameras and then the owner outgrows the bag and wants to sell it, or if like me, I already have like 3 bags so there is no point. If you have a M43 camera look into bags that were made for large non-DSLR cameras that are out of production. Those usually sell for dirt cheap, and you can use them for small "system" cameras like M43.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 + 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS
blastingcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
randomrogue
Diamond Member

I have a couple of the bags like the links above since they come for free with cameras. I stick them in my backpack but they're not very convenient at all. The problem is that once you progress you're going to want to take a camera, flash, batteries, remote shutter release, and a couple lenses with you. These require something bigger. Get a backpack that can fit all your gear and is easily accessible. The camera will hold up just fine being thrown in a backpack but it'll get scratched up and I ended up with a huge piece of dirt somehow in the eyepiece that I can't get out. I'm not making that same mistake with my new camera.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Throckmorton
Lifer

I have a Tenba Large in olive. I like it because it has a laptop compartment and is slimmer than a normal camera bag

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messen...rge-Olive.aspx
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Smoove910
Golden Member

screw the bag, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-...inocular+strap

Can't say how much I love mine, and it makes it soooooo easy to shoot pics while on the trail. Plus, you don't have to fumble around with taking off your pack, digging out your camera bag, getting the camera out... then missing the shot.

Depending on the type of camera you have, one of these may work too: (I'm thinking about trying one)
http://www.amazon.com/S4-Lockdown-Bi...inocular+strap
HDDs: (2) 640GB WD AAKS, (1) 750GB Seagate Ext
Vid: Sapphire 6870 1gb DDR5 1000mhz core, 1100 mhz mem
Camera: Pentax K5, I'm not a Canikon fanboy.
Smoove910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Syborg1211
Diamond Member

Check out the Crumpler Haven line for padded camera pouches that you can put in your own bag
Syborg1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove910 View Post
screw the bag, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-...inocular+strap

Can't say how much I love mine, and it makes it soooooo easy to shoot pics while on the trail. Plus, you don't have to fumble around with taking off your pack, digging out your camera bag, getting the camera out... then missing the shot.

Depending on the type of camera you have, one of these may work too: (I'm thinking about trying one)
http://www.amazon.com/S4-Lockdown-Bi...inocular+strap
Great for looking like a tourist... but with extra geek factor!

I like a messenger bag because you can leave the camera in it and it's easy to access
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Smoove910
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Great for looking like a tourist... but with extra geek factor!

I like a messenger bag because you can leave the camera in it and it's easy to access
LOL, well when I'm 20 miles away from the nearest road, I really don't give a shit what I look like. It's all about convenience/functionality at that point.
HDDs: (2) 640GB WD AAKS, (1) 750GB Seagate Ext
Vid: Sapphire 6870 1gb DDR5 1000mhz core, 1100 mhz mem
Camera: Pentax K5, I'm not a Canikon fanboy.
Smoove910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
PixelSquish
Golden Member

a good camera bag is a good thing indeed. i like the ones that don't look like camera bags so it doesn't scream "valuable gear inside" until you open it up.

think tank makes some like it's retrospective series and urban disguise. i have the retrospective 7 - excellent bag and has a zippered tablet slot on the back, you can access your tablet without needing to futz in the main compartment.

timbuk2 makes a messenger camera bag - take the insert out and it is a messenger bag. inCase makes 2 cool sling packs that look discreet.

shooting MFT now, i use my Tom Bihn Super Ego and in the front i bought a small padded insert for $20 on amazon - it holds my OM-D with any lens on and a hood, and a second lens next to it. i use a cosmos pouch next to it for a third lens. i lift the front flap and it's super easy access, then seat belt buckle it shut and cinch it onto my back bike messenger style. i keep a third cosmos pouch clicked onto a ring in the main compartment if i want a 4th lens.

unbeatable setup when i want to carry other stuff.
PixelSquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Bowfinger
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelSquish View Post
a good camera bag is a good thing indeed. i like the ones that don't look like camera bags so it doesn't scream "valuable gear inside" until you open it up.

think tank makes some like it's retrospective series and urban disguise. i have the retrospective 7 - excellent bag and has a zippered tablet slot on the back, you can access your tablet without needing to futz in the main compartment. ...
I'll add another vote for Think Tank bags. I have four of their bags, plus several of their accessories. Excellent quality and design across the board. I also have a Tenba sling I really like when I'm traveling light. It's also high quality and very accessible.

But, I think the OP is looking for something less elaborate. Lowepro has a broad assortment of bags in all sizes, styles, and price points. I've always been satisfied with their quality and value.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Turbonium
Golden Member

To clarify: I basically want something with a bit of padding so that I can throw it into my backpack without worrying about it too much (kinda like those basic Lowepro bags).

The Think Tank products look really nice, but they're also really expensive.
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
randomrogue
Diamond Member

Camera bags are all kinda expensive. It's an illusion to buy a $40 bag thinking it's cheap if it doesn't fit all your gear and getting stuff out isn't convenient. Generally speaking it's going to cost you more if you want convenience, padding, and comfort.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Anubis
No Lifer

i have a crumpler 6 mdh

they make other sizes great bags,
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

I need to get a bag for my Panasonic GF5. It's not a dslr but I'd still like to protect my investment. Haven't had a whole lot of time to look for one though.

Server: Intel g630, Biostar H61, 4gb gskill ram, antec 400w eco psu
thestrangebrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
luv2liv
Golden Member

my cheap $7 backpack from Target has many compartment that i just throw the dslr and lenses in. if im packing too much lenses in same compartment, then i use an old tshirt to wrap them up.

the official dslr bags are way overpriced. and i doubt i can drop them from 3ft high without cracking a lense or 2. i could be wrong...
luv2liv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
bigrash
Lifer

This is the one I use: Lowerpro Nova 170
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
IronWing
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
To clarify: I basically want something with a bit of padding so that I can throw it into my backpack without worrying about it too much (kinda like those basic Lowepro bags).
We made padded nylon cloth about two feet on a side to wrap up our camera and carry it in packs. Works great. We also made it out of red nylon for dual use for waving for help if needed.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
PixelSquish
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post

The Think Tank products look really nice, but they're also really expensive.
i got the Micro Four Thirds version of this padding, it works well in the right bag (in my case a Tom Bihn Super Ego)

http://www.amazon.com/Express-Insert...ref=pd_sim_p_1
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
corkyg
Peripherals

My current travel bag is a Lowepro "Offroad" with two side pouches for lenses. Inside is the DSLR 5D MKII. and another pair of lenses and some filters, spare batteries, charger, and cables. Works great for long distance overseas trips.

I also have a couple of backpacks for other type uses. The Lowepro is bag 3 below.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola

Last edited by corkyg; 02-14-2013 at 03:54 PM.
corkyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
max347
Platinum Member

I do, one bag is a larger ~$60 bag for travel and one is a cheap $10 one from amazon
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
max347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
PixelSquish
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
My current travel bag is a Lowepro "Offroad" with two side pouches for lenses. Inside is the DSLR 5D MKII. and another pair of lenses and some filters, spare batteries, charger, and cables. Works great for long distance overseas trips.

I also have a couple of backpacks for other type uses. The Lowepro is bag 3 below.

nice setup. also reminds me why i am so glad to be rid of lugging around dslr gear and be able to deal with MFT now.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
iGas
Diamond Member

IMHO you don't need an expensive overly padded bag or case for your camera unless you are shipping it, but a bit of padding will protect your camera from scuffs and dings. I once dropped my camera bag 10'-12' straight down on a rock bluff (4 lenses and 2 bodies), and the only thing that broke was a UV filter and a lens cap).

I use the cheap Canon 500 SR Sling Bag for my S95 & 5Dmkii, 14mm, 50mm, 100mm, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, 580EX, battery grip & 4 batteries, filters & cleaning kit, and strap on my 5 weeks travel trough out Vietnam & Cambodia 4 weeks ago (the camera gears was heavy as hell to pack around and the bag hold up well to the abused that I put it though). It is a good large bag and is in expensive, that is relatively well built. Except for a zipper tab came off in the middle of my trip which is a minor problem, however that is easily fix by putting the tab back in place and give it a squeeze with a pair of pliers.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/canon-50...CH%3AZT99S1BAG

iGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
YEPP

Bought a Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW that I haven't even used, been using the cheap generic case that came with my A57. Only ever find myself needing the one extra lens.
Toy #1- i5 760@4GHz + Akasa Freedom Tower | GA-P55A-UD3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2@1241/6640 | Adata SP900 128GB + 2xWD Caviar Blue 500GB | XFX Pro 750W | CM Elite 430 | BenQ 2420HDBL
Toy #2- i5 760@3.8GHz + Titan Fenrir | P7P55D-E Pro | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | PowerColor PCS+ HD7870(Tahiti LE) Myst@1200/6200 | Adata SX900 128GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Xigmatek Tauro 700W | Antec One | Acer G236HL
YEPP is offline   Reply With Quote