Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
I see a new prank - kids unplugging people's electric cars so they can't go anywhere in the morning. Or snipping the power cord.
I was gonna say that I'd unplug his car, 'plug' it into the non-EV next to him in a creative way, then hide in the bushes and wait for an altercation.

(ok, I wouldn't do that...but the thought amuses me)
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Arkaign
Lifer
 
Arkaign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
I see a new prank - kids unplugging people's electric cars so they can't go anywhere in the morning. Or snipping the power cord.
Oh man, lol. That would be crappy. But people suck, so we should definitely expect it.
__________________
Death is the answer.
Arkaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 26,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
why the fuck would you if you are testing the car? i would think you want to know how exactly far you can go.

why would i charge it half way? seems rather silly to me.

Because I read several comments on the Google+ posting about this that said the writer was thinking like a typical 'petrol' user, and as a typical petrol user driving an electric car, I'd be plugging the damn thing in.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
thescreensavers
Diamond Member
 
thescreensavers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 9,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
I see a new prank - kids unplugging people's electric cars so they can't go anywhere in the morning. Or snipping the power cord.
Yep, you would think so. There was a leaf Parked next to the Engineering Building at school. I joked about unplugging it but I finally talked to the owner he says he gets Texts and Emails when it gets unplugged.

So Its an inconvenience to them but they will prob plug it back in.

So the Prank turns into how much can I annoy this electric cars owner lol
__________________
Tech TV Tribute

WRB 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
The Tesla controller disconnects the battery pack from general car systems at around 5%. Lithium cells in it drop 2-3% a month. Once the car reaches the critical kill mode of 5% it only takes 2 months to zero out the battery destroying it. You also have to work with the fact that anything attached to the battery is a non-infinite resistance which will increase the discharge.

Also the car will send you an email to tell you the car is reaching critical charge.

The bricked electric cars due to running the battery to zero are purely user neglect. Any other battery run device in existence does this. It is the same as running engine oil for 30,000 miles in a gas engine.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/22/the...-its-nonsense/
Yes, I think we have all heard the claim that it was user neglect. I don't think it's entirely clear, though. I see no reason to just accept Tesla's version of events.

However, that's what users do with cars. Leave them sit for a week or two or three. Leave them at the airport for a week. Etc. You drive to the airport, and leave your car. There's likely no convenient way to fully charge it and then leave it in many situations. Besides, it can be awkward to have to do so.
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!

Last edited by LTC8K6; 02-12-2013 at 11:01 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
All batteries self-discharge. They don't even have to be connected to anything.

...connecting them to something, though, will of course make it happen faster. But it's really not 'self-discharge.' It's discharge across things that do not have a clean break in their circuit when car is off. I.e. there is still some path, however high the resistance, between power and ground. In a properly-functioning car, however, you're talking a fraction of an amp. I wanna say most manufacturers specify somewhere in the 50-100mA range, but it's been a while since I've looked that spec up on anything (key off draws are usually much larger and more obvious, no hair-splitting needed).
The self-discharge rate of lithium ion cells varies quite a bit and isn't easy to pin down, apparently.

Quote:
Self-discharge rate of approximately 510% per month, compared to over 30% per month in common nickel metal hydride batteries, approximately 1.25% per month for Low Self-Discharge NiMH batteries and 10% per month in nickel-cadmium batteries.[44] According to one manufacturer, lithium-ion cells (and, accordingly, "dumb" lithium-ion batteries) do not have any self-discharge in the usual meaning of this word.[35] What looks like a self-discharge in these batteries is a permanent loss of capacity (see Disadvantages). On the other hand, "smart" lithium-ion batteries do self-discharge, due to the drain of the built-in voltage monitoring circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #32
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yes, I think we have all heard the claim that it was user neglect. I don't think it's entirely clear, though. I see no reason to just accept Tesla's version of events.

However, that's what users do with cars. Leave them sit for a week or two or three. Leave them at the airport for a week. Etc. You drive to the airport, and leave your car. There's likely no convenient way to fully charge it and then leave it in many situations. Besides, it can be awkward to have to do so.
I also see no reason to accept what has been purely users complaining on the net. No true third party testing has been done. Until we see concrete tested evidence that there is a fault in the cars that is killing the batteries, it is Toyota "stuck accelerators" all over again.

This isn't even "new" same thing happens to people who leave motorcycles sitting all winter without a tender or the people that let a phone run down to 0 and leave it sitting for 3 months. You replace the battery and move on. In this case it is a $40,000 mistake rather than $40.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
I also see no reason to accept what has been purely users complaining on the net. No true third party testing has been done. Until we see concrete tested evidence that there is a fault in the cars that is killing the batteries, it is Toyota "stuck accelerators" all over again.

This isn't even "new" same thing happens to people who leave motorcycles sitting all winter without a tender or the people that let a phone run down to 0 and leave it sitting for 3 months. You replace the battery and move on. In this case it is a $40,000 mistake rather than $40.
I don't think it's a fault in the cars.

It's just the nature of the batteries Tesla used, and something Tesla likely doesn't want to talk about too much.

Perhaps it shouldn't be so easy to make a $40K mistake?

It's not like this is new info about such batteries.

Besides, Musk just took a jab at Boeing about the 787 battery problems.

Maybe he should just keep his mouth shut and worry about Tesla cars and making enough money to stay afloat?
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #34
bigi
Golden Member
 
bigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,346
Default

Its oil industry "sponsored" article/"author" and NYT. Same as those ugly english big dude who blows himself for ratings.

Nothing new here. Typical petrol people denial. Yes, denial it is a first stage but eventually it ends up with acceptance.
__________________
"I'm sick of being so healthy" - H.Simpson
bigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

This "supercharging" is only available on models with the 85KWH pack, or on the models with the 60Kwh pack as an extra cost option. The base models can't use the superchargers.

So if the reporter had been given a different model, he wouldn't even have had the use of the stations, and likely couldn't have made the trip at all.

Seems odd that the models that would need the supercharging the most, the ones with the smaller batteries, can't use it. Maybe it shortens the life of the smaller batteries too much?

Quote:
Charging times vary depending on the battery pack's state-of-charge, its overall capacity, the available voltage, and the available circuit breaker amp rating (current). From a 110 V/12 A outlet, the range can be restored by 5 miles (8 km) for every hour of charging. From a 10 kW, NEMA 14-50 240 V/40 A outlet (like those used by RVs), the range can be restored by 31 miles (50 km) for every hour of charging. Using Tesla's 20 kW, 240 V High Power Wall Connector, the range can be restored by 62 miles (100 km) for every hour of charging if the car is configured with twin chargers (20 kW). The roadside Tesla Superchargers can charge about half the battery in 30 minutes, providing up to 150 miles (240 km) worth of range into the models configured with the 85 kWh battery packs.[44] Supercharging is included in all models with the 85 kWh battery pack, including both Signature limited edition models, the Performance model, and the base model with 85 kWh). Supercharging will also be included in the base model with the 60 kWh battery for an extra cost, but it will not be available for the 40 kWh battery model.[42][44]
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigi View Post
Its oil industry "sponsored" article/"author" and NYT. Same as those ugly english big dude who blows himself for ratings.

Nothing new here. Typical petrol people denial. Yes, denial it is a first stage but eventually it ends up with acceptance.
You would think Tesla wouldn't give him a car to evaluate...
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #37
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
This "supercharging" is only available on models with the 85KWH pack, or on the models with the 60Kwh pack as an extra cost option. The base models can't use the superchargers.

So if the reporter had been given a different model, he wouldn't even have had the use of the stations, and likely couldn't have made the trip at all.

Seems odd that the models that would need the supercharging the most, the ones with the smaller batteries, can't use it. Maybe it shortens the life of the smaller batteries too much?
I would guess that you are in the right area. Most cells have a max charge and discharge rate. The smaller battery pack is likely less total cells over all. IE is 1 cell can take 1AH then 4 cells (the bigger pack) should be able to take 4AH (completely random example). It is also possible that the electrical interconnects are smaller and it would over heat the wiring also.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
PricklyPete
Lifer
 
PricklyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,814
Default

Musk is a twit and electric cars are far from perfect...but I love what Tesla is doing. I love the tech, I love the performance, and it even looks good/is somewhat functional.
__________________
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" - The Dude

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #39
Dari
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
I also see no reason to accept what has been purely users complaining on the net. No true third party testing has been done. Until we see concrete tested evidence that there is a fault in the cars that is killing the batteries, it is Toyota "stuck accelerators" all over again.

This isn't even "new" same thing happens to people who leave motorcycles sitting all winter without a tender or the people that let a phone run down to 0 and leave it sitting for 3 months. You replace the battery and move on. In this case it is a $40,000 mistake rather than $40.
It is $8K, $10K, and $12K to replace the 40, 60, and 85kWh batteries after the end of the warranty, respectfully.

Also, I find it odd people here complaining about the range in these Tesla cars. People that buy these cars know damn well what they're getting into. They don't treat it like an ICE car because it isn't. Also, what's with the double standard when it comes to this car versus an ICE car? Drive an ICE car hard and you will get less miles per gallon. Same thing with the Tesla. But, somehow, this becomes an issue in the Tesla but not the ICE car...
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #40
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,102
Default

Because refueling is a 10 minute inconvenience and recharging is an hours long delay. Don't be purposefully dense.

Last edited by Ferzerp; 02-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #41
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
It is $8K, $10K, and $12K to replace the 40, 60, and 85kWh batteries after the end of the warranty, respectfully.

Also, I find it odd people here complaining about the range in these Tesla cars. People that buy these cars know damn well what they're getting into. They don't treat it like an ICE car because it isn't. Also, what's with the double standard when it comes to this car versus an ICE car? Drive an ICE car hard and you will get less miles per gallon. Same thing with the Tesla. But, somehow, this becomes an issue in the Tesla but not the ICE car...
I think those are the prepaid replacements when you buy the car. That doesn't include the labor does it? The 32k -> 40k did come from the people complaining about not charging the car for months so who knows.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #42
Brovane
Platinum Member
 
Brovane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,572
Default

In my opinion I think like to treat the Tesla like any other ICE car and it is not. Also currently a ICE car is more flexible than a electric car. When you buy a electric car you make some compromises. However for some people those compromises are ok for them to buy a electric car. If you look hard enough you can find something that a electric car cannot do that a regular ICE car can handle easily. Cold weather is one of those things. It is well known that electric cars suffer loss of range in cold weather. That is just the current state of the technology. How much loss of range is open to debate. However Tesla is only trying to sell 20,000 of these cars a year which in the overall car market isn't that much of a share of the market. There is more than enough room in the car market for a car that doesn't have all the flexibility of a normal ICE car. If you live in a colder climate a electrical car might not be the best choice.

There is plenty of excellent reviews of the Tesla out their and a bad review doesn't mean the car is a failure. The review that IMHO I am going to give the most merit which isn't out yet is the Consumer Reports review. They have purchased a Tesla Model S like a normal customer would and are currently evaluating it in a long term setting.
Brovane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #43
Dari
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
Because refueling is a 10 minute inconvenience and recharging is an hours long delay. Don't be purposefully dense.
Yeah, and refueling can cost up to $70-$90 in one go, whereas recharging is $10 max (if you even have to pay) for up to 300 miles. Also, like I said, you know damn well what you're getting into. The more you drive the more this car becomes invaluable. If you're taking a road trip then it may become a problem. But, common sense would say to just rent.

For the record, I am seriously considering this car to replace our BMW X35d. The BMW is nice (really nice) but we rarely travel far and this car can also seat 7 passengers. Also, like the Tesla, the diesel also has its own winter problems. Finally, the car's length is between a 5 and 7 series but it has more seating space than the 7 series and definitely has more cargo space. And it handles much better than many sport cars.

I could never see myself stranded in this car since I know its shortcomings but I can see my wife forgetting to charge it and stuff. But that's why she has me around
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #44
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
It is $8K, $10K, and $12K to replace the 40, 60, and 85kWh batteries after the end of the warranty, respectfully.

Also, I find it odd people here complaining about the range in these Tesla cars. People that buy these cars know damn well what they're getting into. They don't treat it like an ICE car because it isn't. Also, what's with the double standard when it comes to this car versus an ICE car? Drive an ICE car hard and you will get less miles per gallon. Same thing with the Tesla. But, somehow, this becomes an issue in the Tesla but not the ICE car...
The battery at the end of the warranty is not the same as the battery being "bricked" well before that.

That's my understanding, anyway.

A bricked battery is a boat anchor.

A battery at the end of it's normal life is still a useable battery.

Thus the $40K vs $8/$10/$12K.
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
Dari
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The battery at the end of the warranty is not the same as the battery being "bricked" well before that.

That's my understanding, anyway.

A bricked battery is a boat anchor.

A battery at the end of it's normal life is still a useable battery.

Thus the $40K vs $8/$10/$12K.
You're going to have a provide a source for that number...
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
You're going to have a provide a source for that number...
The same crummy source that is reporting it as fact.

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-mo...design-problem

"The 340th Tesla Roadster produced went to a customer in Santa Barbara, California. In 2011, he took his Roadster out for a drive and then parked it in a temporary garage while his home was being renovated. Lacking a built-in Tesla charger or a convenient power outlet, he left the car unplugged. Six weeks later his car was dead. It took four men two hours to drag the 2,700-pound Roadster onto a flatbed truck so that it could be shipped to Tesla's Los Angeles area service center, all at the owner's expense. A service manager then informed him that "it's a brick" and that the battery would cost approximately $40,000 to replace. He was further told that this was a special "friends and family" price, strongly implying that Tesla generally charges more."

Granted this is the same source that is basically reporting random customer complaints and hear say as fact so take that as what you will.

I don't think Tesla is infallible by any means but this stinks the same stink as the Toyota accelerator issue. Media picked up a random person's claim and it went viral.

Basically people where hitting the gas rather than the brake then claiming the car was broke. It appears to be the same thing here: end user didn't bother to plug the car in and the battery went flat to the point of damage. Like I mentioned earlier, this is the same thing that happens to RC cars and planes when people store them with out charging the cells.
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #47
Dari
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
The same crummy source that is reporting it as fact.

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-mo...design-problem

"The 340th Tesla Roadster produced went to a customer in Santa Barbara, California. In 2011, he took his Roadster out for a drive and then parked it in a temporary garage while his home was being renovated. Lacking a built-in Tesla charger or a convenient power outlet, he left the car unplugged. Six weeks later his car was dead. It took four men two hours to drag the 2,700-pound Roadster onto a flatbed truck so that it could be shipped to Tesla's Los Angeles area service center, all at the owner's expense. A service manager then informed him that "it's a brick" and that the battery would cost approximately $40,000 to replace. He was further told that this was a special "friends and family" price, strongly implying that Tesla generally charges more."

Granted this is the same source that is basically reporting random customer complaints and hear say as fact so take that as what you will.

I don't think Tesla is infallible by any means but this stinks the same stink as the Toyota accelerator issue. Media picked up a random person's claim and it went viral.

Basically people where hitting the gas rather than the brake then claiming the car was broke. It appears to be the same thing here: end user didn't bother to plug the car in and the battery went flat to the point of damage. Like I mentioned earlier, this is the same thing that happens to RC cars and planes when people store them with out charging the cells.
I don't understand, he took it to a Tesla service center? Those are owned by Tesla so why would the prices be different? Sounds like bullshit.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 26,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricklyPete View Post
Musk is a twit and electric cars are far from perfect...but I love what Tesla is doing. I love the tech, I love the performance, and it even looks good/is somewhat functional.
Musk has done more for space travel than NASA, ESA, RSA, JAXA, etc, have done in the past 20 years.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #49
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
You're going to have a provide a source for that number...
It was referenced earlier in the thread, but I was just stating a possible explanation for the price difference. I said it was my understanding.
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #50
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
The same crummy source that is reporting it as fact.

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-mo...design-problem

"The 340th Tesla Roadster produced went to a customer in Santa Barbara, California. In 2011, he took his Roadster out for a drive and then parked it in a temporary garage while his home was being renovated. Lacking a built-in Tesla charger or a convenient power outlet, he left the car unplugged. Six weeks later his car was dead. It took four men two hours to drag the 2,700-pound Roadster onto a flatbed truck so that it could be shipped to Tesla's Los Angeles area service center, all at the owner's expense. A service manager then informed him that "it's a brick" and that the battery would cost approximately $40,000 to replace. He was further told that this was a special "friends and family" price, strongly implying that Tesla generally charges more."

Granted this is the same source that is basically reporting random customer complaints and hear say as fact so take that as what you will.

I don't think Tesla is infallible by any means but this stinks the same stink as the Toyota accelerator issue. Media picked up a random person's claim and it went viral.

Basically people where hitting the gas rather than the brake then claiming the car was broke. It appears to be the same thing here: end user didn't bother to plug the car in and the battery went flat to the point of damage. Like I mentioned earlier, this is the same thing that happens to RC cars and planes when people store them with out charging the cells.
The actual source is the Roadster Owner's manual, referencing permanent battery damage.

http://media.theunderstatement.com/0...anual_p5-2.pdf
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.