Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
mrmt
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,485
Default Q412 CPU market share

http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthr...9969&showall=1

Market Share Overview

In the fourth quarter of 2012 the overall PC processor market declined six percent compared to the third quarter. This is worse than the season average of the previous five years, which is a 1.1 percent decline for this quarter. On-year growth was down 11.4 percent, exceeding the on-year decline seen during the fourth-quarter market collapse of 2008 (8.8 percent). This quarter’s results are now also the second-worst on-year decline in the past 20 years, exceeded only by the first quarter of 2001, and displacing the prior quarter for the dubious honor.

Intel gained share in all segments this quarter, with mobile gaining two full points of share. AMD lost share in all segments.

Only server CPUs grew this quarter – up 2.4 percent and again due solely to Intel. The mobile segment was down 8.9 percent in the fourth quarter, while desktop CPUs were down 7.0 percent.

For all of 2012, Intel’s market share was 82.5 percent, up two points from 2011. AMD’s share declined 1.9 points to 16.9 percent, while VIA’s share was unchanged at 0.5 percent.

If ARM-based computing devices were included in the annual share computations, collectively they would hold 24.6 percent of the market, up from 12.6 percent in 2011.

================================================

AMD is predicting another 10% decrease this quarter, which should put AMD below 15% market share. Death spiral has definitely begun.
mrmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,123
Default

AMD only shipped 13 million CPUs in Q4. Yikes. Nearly 19 million was shipped in Q1 2012.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.
ShintaiDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
StrangerGuy
Diamond Member
 
StrangerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,125
Default

I wonder how much the PC decline was attributed to people getting sick of godawful 15.6" 768p TN screens that are terrible even by TN standards.
StrangerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
sm625
Diamond Member
 
sm625's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmt View Post
This quarter’s results are now also the second-worst on-year decline in the past 20 years, exceeded only by the first quarter of 2001, and displacing the prior quarter for the dubious honor.
It's funny how back in 2001, back when we still had a somewhat real market, this type of dropoff in PC sales was met with a 30% decline in the stock market. Nowadays, the stock market goes up, because everyone knows they will just print more money to buy $500 smartphones and $600 tablets to replace all those $400 desktops, in addition to $999 notebooks. Ah the wonders of debt fueled consumption...
__________________
I am looking for a cheap upgrade to my 3 year old computer.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Hulk
Platinum Member
 
Hulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
I wonder how much the PC decline was attributed to people getting sick of godawful 15.6" 768p TN screens that are terrible even by TN standards.

We can only hope the average consumer can actually see a difference between the crap screen in their laptop and the great one in their tablet and/or phone.

I see these numbers more as a restructuring of the market rather than a decline of the computer market per se. There is a shift going on right now to mobile and ultramobile devices. Both the manufacturers and consumers are "feeling" the market out. Which form factors will be useful, which will not? Which OS? What apps do I require? Exciting times for computer related devices. And just coincidentally Intel is on the verge of put powerful x86 processors in these ultra mobile devices. Very interesting times indeed.
__________________
4770k - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU cooler - 16GB GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CAS 9, 1.5V - Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3H - Intel 330 240GB - WD 1TB - Lite On BD - - Seasonic SS-400FL - Coolermaster Elite 341 m-ATX case
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
StrangerGuy
Diamond Member
 
StrangerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
We can only hope the average consumer can actually see a difference between the crap screen in their laptop and the great one in their tablet and/or phone.

I see these numbers more as a restructuring of the market rather than a decline of the computer market per se. There is a shift going on right now to mobile and ultramobile devices. Both the manufacturers and consumers are "feeling" the market out. Which form factors will be useful, which will not? Which OS? What apps do I require? Exciting times for computer related devices. And just coincidentally Intel is on the verge of put powerful x86 processors in these ultra mobile devices. Very interesting times indeed.
One of the biggest follies over the past few years is how Intel completely missed the boat in the tablet/smartphone space and practically gave it up to ARM. The writing was already on the wall back when the netbook craze begun but they were too obsessed over margins to take it seriously and now the traditional x86 markets is crumbling beneath their feet and even Haswell is probably too late to save the day.
StrangerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
One of the biggest follies over the past few years is how Intel completely missed the boat in the tablet/smartphone space and practically gave it up to ARM. The writing was already on the wall back when the netbook craze begun but they were too obsessed over margins to take it seriously and now the traditional x86 markets is crumbling beneath their feet and even Haswell is probably too late to save the day.
You might be abit overexieted about ARM. You know the ARM segment went backwards in 2012, right?

The only reason we got this ARM talk today is the fact that smartphone makers can sell a 180-200$ BOM phone for 600$ and reap in record profit. But thats nothing to do with it being ARM.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.
ShintaiDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
I wonder how much the PC decline was attributed to people getting sick of godawful 15.6" 768p TN screens that are terrible even by TN standards.
I doubt much at all. People are spending their money elsewhere. Phones, tablets, other entertainment devices.

A nearly 11.5% dip in sales year on year is not good.
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Piroko
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
The only reason we got this ARM talk today is the fact that smartphone makers can sell a 180-200$ BOM phone for 600$ and reap in record profit. But thats nothing to do with it being ARM.
Well you wouldn't have a 180-200$ BOM if the SOC was more than 1/4th of it. So it does have to do a bit with Arm as in the last 4 years noone else has managed to create (or wanted to create) something in the same price- performance- and power bracket to outcompete Arm.
Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Xpage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 393
Default

DOOM!!!! We are all DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

One quarter of bad sales does not mean much, if this kept up for a year I would be more worried. People just may be delaying purchases till later on, which still may not be great but as long as people still upgrade things will eb fine, it just may make upgrade cycles longer thus companies can plan node shrinks on a longer period of time as well
__________________
---Current Rig---
SB 2500K @ 4.2ghz, Asus P8P67, 2x2 GB, 64GB OCZ Agility SSD, 320GB WD 2500KS backup drive, 6950 @ stock atm
Everything watercooled, custom WC on the GPU.

---Last PC Build---
Opteron 165 @ stock volts @ 2.7ghz, FSB 300 2/3 divider, 2x1GB Patriot DDR 2-3-2-5 1T, RAID 0: 2x WD 2500KS (250gb 16mb cache), Evga 7900 GT @ 580/850 on stock voltage, Everything Watercooled. oh yeah!

RISE OF KINGDOMS - It's my baby
Heatware
EBay
Xpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
pablo87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
I wonder how much the PC decline was attributed to people getting sick of godawful 15.6" 768p TN screens that are terrible even by TN standards.
This and more generally, a dumbing down, good enough mentality eg. integrated graphics.

At this point, the ship is sailing. The entire Eco-system is investing in technologies for tablets and smartphones. Such investments leads to innovation and a greater rate of improvement, and with greater volume, a better return. It is a very vicious positive reinforcement circle for the PC industry.

In this situation, who stands to lose the most, or is everyone leaving?
pablo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Torn Mind
Platinum Member
 
Torn Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm625 View Post
It's funny how back in 2001, back when we still had a somewhat real market, this type of dropoff in PC sales was met with a 30% decline in the stock market. Nowadays, the stock market goes up, because everyone knows they will just print more money to buy $500 smartphones and $600 tablets to replace all those $400 desktops, in addition to $999 notebooks. Ah the wonders of debt fueled consumption...
I would like to know what more expansionary monetary policy tricks are out there that can actually induce hyperinflation and not result in a repeal of the law that allows the Federal Reserve its ability to exist.
__________________
SR061| Asrock H77M | 2x2GB G.Skill 1333Mhz NS RAM | PowerSpec TX-606 Case| 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Drive| Antec Eartwatts EA-500 (2006) | Asus DVD Burner | parallell and COM port header | Old Dell Keyboard
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=93090
Torn Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Intel17
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth.
Posts: 3,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
One of the biggest follies over the past few years is how Intel completely missed the boat in the tablet/smartphone space and practically gave it up to ARM. The writing was already on the wall back when the netbook craze begun but they were too obsessed over margins to take it seriously and now the traditional x86 markets is crumbling beneath their feet and even Haswell is probably too late to save the day.
ARM doesn't make any chips that go into smartphones/tablets.

You're telling me that Intel can't compete with Nvidia/Qualcomm for smartphone/tablet chips? Whatever you say...
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo87 View Post
This and more generally, a dumbing down, good enough mentality eg. integrated graphics.

At this point, the ship is sailing. The entire Eco-system is investing in technologies for tablets and smartphones. Such investments leads to innovation and a greater rate of improvement, and with greater volume, a better return. It is a very vicious positive reinforcement circle for the PC industry.

In this situation, who stands to lose the most, or is everyone leaving?
I agree the trend to tablets is a general "dumbing down", not so much smart phones. I am willing to accept the limitations of ARM/android in a phone more than in a larger device such as a tablet. Hopefully in a year or two, tablets will have improved to the point that you can actually do something useful on them besides social networking and content consumption. Personally for mobile devices now, my choices would be a smartphone for connectivity on the go and a laptop for a moderate level of mobility and the ability to run x86 and have a decent input interface. Right now I just dont see the attraction of tablets, especially high end ones that cost as much as a laptop. They are just too limited in functionality. Obvioulsy I am in the minority though.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpage View Post
DOOM!!!! We are all DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

One quarter of bad sales does not mean much, if this kept up for a year I would be more worried. People just may be delaying purchases till later on, which still may not be great but as long as people still upgrade things will eb fine, it just may make upgrade cycles longer thus companies can plan node shrinks on a longer period of time as well
It isnt one quarter.
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
SocketF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 235
Default

How many processors were sold totally in 2012? I found numbers for 2011, then it were 407M.

Last edited by SocketF; 02-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.
SocketF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketF View Post
How much processors were sold totally in 2012? I found numbers for 2011, then it were 407M.
I only found OEM numbers. Those were 365.3 million in 2011 and 352.7 million in 2012.

In Q4 it was 90.3 million. Of those 17.5 million in NA, 28 million in EMEA and rest in Asia/SA.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.

Last edited by ShintaiDK; 02-13-2013 at 07:53 AM.
ShintaiDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
ronss
Member
 
ronss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: phoenix,az
Posts: 120
Default

i personally think that windows 8 is having an effect on buyers wanting to buy a new rig now, at least the non-enthusiast...i will not buy windows 8 rig period, i hate windows 8. microsoft has really screwed things up this time..
__________________
#1-amd fx-6300-gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3-evga 660 -pc power and cooling 750
#2-phenom II 1100T-asus m5a97-evga gtx 260-corsiar hx620
#3-phenom II 555-gigabyte 880gm-d2h--bfg gtx 260
#4-intel 3570k- p67 sabertooth-asus r9 290
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #19
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,123
Default



And yes, Windows 8 is certainly not helping either. Its a disasterous OS. Maybe the worst Windows OS ever released.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.
ShintaiDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
pablo87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra123456 View Post
I agree the trend to tablets is a general "dumbing down", not so much smart phones. I am willing to accept the limitations of ARM/android in a phone more than in a larger device such as a tablet. Hopefully in a year or two, tablets will have improved to the point that you can actually do something useful on them besides social networking and content consumption. Personally for mobile devices now, my choices would be a smartphone for connectivity on the go and a laptop for a moderate level of mobility and the ability to run x86 and have a decent input interface. Right now I just dont see the attraction of tablets, especially high end ones that cost as much as a laptop. They are just too limited in functionality. Obvioulsy I am in the minority though.
Which is why the right strategy for PCs is to do the opposite. Intel and Microsoft spend the most on PC advert, MS is focused on W8 and Intel on UB and integrated - discrete despite no air support relatively speaking, is doing not bad. Well everyone has their own agenda it seems.
pablo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.