Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Dari
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,864
Default Possible to downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 on new laptops?

I need an answer because I plan on getting a new laptop soon. I've been to Best Buy for the last couple of weekends trying to get comfortable with Windows 8 but I just can't. I don't like it. This is the first Windows operating system that I just abhor. Even when people were talking trash about Vista, I accepted it (the x64 version, no less) because it came with a much better version of WMC. But Windows 8 I just don't like. Speaking of Vista, because of the negative campaign against the operating system, many vendors made it clear that you could downgrade to XP. Is this the same for Windows 8? I would love to get a new Sony laptop but the thought of using Windows 8 on a regular basis has me considering bringing another MacBook into our home (Wife hated W8 when she tried it as well). But the Mac was made for OS X, not Windows 7 and, using Parallel, the refresh rate is off kilter and when I type in Gmail the letters are not visible (I like Internet Explorer, which is not available on Mac OS X). Sony has nothing official to say, which is never good. The Best Buy rep says yes but he may just be trying to get a sale and I'd hate to return a perfectly good laptop based on bad info.

Last edited by allisolm; 02-11-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: moved from OT.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
DesiPower
Lifer
 
DesiPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tejas Del Sur
Posts: 11,476
Default

If you question is whether Sony will let you downgrade to 7, then the answer is no, Microsoft is pushing really hard on 8 and wont let vendors do that. Your best option is to buy one with 8 (plus a load of bloatware) and then get win 7 OEM, its less than $100 now iirc, and its CLEAN! I would not mind spending the extra $100 if I really needed a LT, plus you are buying a Sony so i am sure price is not on the top of your priority list

/ibtm
DesiPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler
 
SunnyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Waffle House
Posts: 30,906
Default

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice...de_rights.aspx

You know, they invented google for a god damn reason.
__________________
It's a long story... and trust me, no, you really don't have time.
Need VPN? Cheap hosting? I can do that.

Last edited by SunnyD; 02-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.
SunnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
DesiPower
Lifer
 
DesiPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tejas Del Sur
Posts: 11,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
MS OEM partners can do that for their business customers who's infrastructure is not ready for newer OS, I don't think it applies to end users.

Quote:
Steps to downgrade Windows software

To downgrade Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows 7 software, customers must:

Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
Accept the End User Software License Terms.
Perform the downgrade or authorize a third party to perform it on their behalf.
DesiPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler
 
SunnyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Waffle House
Posts: 30,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiPower View Post
MS OEM partners can do that for their business customers who's infrastructure is not ready for newer OS, I don't think it applies to end users.
End users need to contact the OEM in order to acquire media and a key for downgrade.

That document spells it out in the next section right below what you quoted.

Yes, generally downgrade rights are utilized by businesses dealing with Volume Licensing. But if your OEM is generous, they MAY give you media and a key for downgrade purposes as entitled by the downgrade rights provided you have the correct license in the first place.
__________________
It's a long story... and trust me, no, you really don't have time.
Need VPN? Cheap hosting? I can do that.
SunnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Pardus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 7,822
Default

comment removed

Last edited by Pardus; 02-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
sunzt
Platinum Member
 
sunzt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,943
Default

This may help with your windows 8 experience:
A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2283053
sunzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
thegimp03
Diamond Member
 
thegimp03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,397
Default

Why don't you just buy a Windows 7 laptop on Amazon? That's what I did for my mom for Christmas. I figured since she was already using Win7 on her desktop, getting her a laptop with Win7 was the best idea. If I got her something with Win8 then I'd have to play tech support on an OS that I don't plan on using myself.
thegimp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
DesiPower
Lifer
 
DesiPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tejas Del Sur
Posts: 11,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunzt View Post
This may help with your windows 8 experience:
A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2283053
wow! superbookmarked! Thanks!!
DesiPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Meractik
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Land of the Sun
Posts: 1,738
Default

Watch out for UEFI (might be able to disable in bios, hopefully...) but it is a scary beast...

I had/have the same concerns as you and here was my post during the holiday season about a gift PC...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288176
Meractik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
fatpat268
Diamond Member
 
fatpat268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meractik View Post
Watch out for UEFI (might be able to disable in bios, hopefully...) but it is a scary beast...

I had/have the same concerns as you and here was my post during the holiday season about a gift PC...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288176
What?

You realize that UEFI is a replacement of the bios, right? It's not something you can simply "disable."
__________________
Heatware 70-0-0
fatpat268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Oldgamer
Platinum Member
 
Oldgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo View Post
Windows 8 takes time to get used to, it is here to stay and all future versions of windows will have the same look and feel (metro, charms, etc.) Any computer running Windows 8 should be able to run Windows 7 with no issues. I suggest backing up all the system driver first before the reload. If you need a start menu, try either Start Menu 8 or classic shell, both are free.

I have been using Windows 8 since December and hated it as well, but the more you use and learn it, the more you realize it's better than Windows 7 in many ways and some annoyances can be disabled or turned off via group edit and registry fixes.

When you get that new pc, either stick with Windows 7 or 8, don't go back to XP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
I need an answer because I plan on getting a new laptop soon. I've been to Best Buy for the last couple of weekends trying to get comfortable with Windows 8 but I just can't. I don't like it. This is the first Windows operating system that I just abhor. Even when people were talking trash about Vista, I accepted it (the x64 version, no less) because it came with a much better version of WMC. But Windows 8 I just don't like. Speaking of Vista, because of the negative campaign against the operating system, many vendors made it clear that you could downgrade to XP. Is this the same for Windows 8? I would love to get a new Sony laptop but the thought of using Windows 8 on a regular basis has me considering bringing another MacBook into our home (Wife hated W8 when she tried it as well). But the Mac was made for OS X, not Windows 7 and, using Parallel, the refresh rate is off kilter and when I type in Gmail the letters are not visible (I like Internet Explorer, which is not available on Mac OS X). Sony has nothing official to say, which is never good. The Best Buy rep says yes but he may just be trying to get a sale and I'd hate to return a perfectly good laptop based on bad info.
Yea I just bought a second desktop computer ASUS machine, and having to get used to the Windows 8 OS. It seems like a cluster fuck when you look at their start screen. From an IT perspective you have to relearn where everything is, takes time, but if you just keep playing around on it you quickly get the hang of it. I have noticed not all of my games seem to run as well graphics wise with Windows 8. I really hate that you have to tie an email to the system.

I think my favorite is still Windows 7. It feels like Windows 8 is headed down the Apple path tying everything together and selling products.
Oldgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.