· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
disappoint
Diamond Member

Default Solution to prevent necro threads

I see a lot of necro threads from time to time. To clarify what I mean by that is a thread that hasn't been posted to in a long time, is posted in months later.

Possible solution might be to automatically lock a thread that is X months old, say 3 months old? Not too hard to code in is it?
Per aspera ad astra: Through hardship to the stars.
disappoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
shortylickens
No Lifer

Actually if its still relevant and you post something useful, necros are allowed sometimes.
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

For what it's worth, the last time I asked about this I was told it's not possible with the default functionality of vB 3.x.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Dude111

I dont see anything wrong with a date!!!!

PEOPLE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT STUFF THAT REALLY MATTERS!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
WelshBloke
Lifer

Whats wrong with necros anyway?

Assuming its not some random spammer why do they get locked?
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Whats wrong with necros anyway?

Assuming its not some random spammer why do they get locked?
Because most posters fail to see the date and assume it's a new thread.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
Because most posters fail to see the date and assume it's a new thread.
Does that matter though? Obviously posters on these boards being intellectual and polite to their fellow posters would only be posting relevant, helpful and informative replies, so the difference in dates shouldn't matter.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
alkemyst
No Lifer

Personally I don't get why so many people are so focused on necro threads as being terrible. Most are very relevant.

I do see the issue with those re-serving up threads that should have died due to the train wrecks they became, but even then most of the time in those; the mods have locked them.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
brianmanahan
Diamond Member

exactly, there is usually nothing wrong with a necro thread
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Dude111

No there isnt but members often cause problems and staff doesnt wanna deal with it so they disallow it... (Which i totally understand i guess)

BUT ITS THE STUPIDIST THING EVER!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
disappoint
Diamond Member

I suppose you're right. Nothing wrong with necros!
Per aspera ad astra: Through hardship to the stars.
disappoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
donfm

The issue I have is the timeliness and pertinence of the information contained in old threads. There is one individual here who simply says "Thank You" on every thread apparently to increase his post count. This keeps resurrecting old threads that have long since lost the interest of the Anandtech Faithful. Other lonely people just like to chat without adding anything useful to the conversation. All this is fine but it doesn't warrant being put at the top of the leader board once the old topic has been thoroughly exhausted. It's just a minor annoyance in the end I suppose but it is an annoyance.

Truly smart people don't have to advertise......people will just know....
donfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
alkemyst
No Lifer

man, if this is enough to be an annoyance you need more excitement in your life.

I have no problems with necros. I have no problem with those looking to boost post counts...in the end post count means nothing.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
donfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
man, if this is enough to be an annoyance you need more excitement in your life.

I have no problems with necros. I have no problem with those looking to boost post counts...in the end post count means nothing.
If you have no issues with the necro posts that is your choice. But please refrain from taking cheap personal shots towards others merely expressing their opinion. This is a public suggestion box where all are free to express their opinions not Alkemysts personal forum. Save your petty antagonistic comments for somebody who cares.......Or is this your way of creating more excitement in your life?.....

Last edited by donfm; 08-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfm View Post
If you have no issues with the necro posts that is your choice. But please refrain from taking cheap personal shots towards others merely expressing their opinion. This is a public suggestion box where all are free to express their opinions not Alkemysts personal forum. Save your petty antagonistic comments for somebody who cares.......Or is this your only way of creating excitement in your life?.....
irony?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

I agree that from time to time, they can get a little annoying. It's easy enough to lock them when that happens. Sometimes, it's not a terrible thing that certain threads have been brought back after a few years; it occasionally makes for an interesting discussion (including after the first 15 responders realize they're replying to a thread from the previous century.)

Plus, there's the occasional drive-by spammer whose post isn't necessarily a red flag, but necroing an old thread often puts the nail in the coffin in cases of doubt. It's nice when it becomes clear cut like that.

I do agree, it would be a simple solution to have threads automatically lock after x-number of days. And, for certain occasions, a PM or mod discussions thread requesting a particular thread to be unlocked would be pretty simple to do.

However, automatically locking threads after a certain period of inactivity isn't something built into vBulletin (afaik), though there are add-on scripts to provide that functionality. If someone can find a LARGE forum using such a script with no problems, then it would be worth discussing. But from what I understand, there is a lot of reluctance to mess around with code that hasn't been tested on a forum of this size. The problem isn't great enough to turn ourselves into guinea pigs.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
donfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
I agree that from time to time, they can get a little annoying. It's easy enough to lock them when that happens. Sometimes, it's not a terrible thing that certain threads have been brought back after a few years; it occasionally makes for an interesting discussion (including after the first 15 responders realize they're replying to a thread from the previous century.)

Plus, there's the occasional drive-by spammer whose post isn't necessarily a red flag, but necroing an old thread often puts the nail in the coffin in cases of doubt. It's nice when it becomes clear cut like that.

I do agree, it would be a simple solution to have threads automatically lock after x-number of days. And, for certain occasions, a PM or mod discussions thread requesting a particular thread to be unlocked would be pretty simple to do.

However, automatically locking threads after a certain period of inactivity isn't something built into vBulletin (afaik), though there are add-on scripts to provide that functionality. If someone can find a LARGE forum using such a script with no problems, then it would be worth discussing. But from what I understand, there is a lot of reluctance to mess around with code that hasn't been tested on a forum of this size. The problem isn't great enough to turn ourselves into guinea pigs.
Well said. The annoyance factor of the Necro Thread is somewhat dependent on the forum as well. Say in the Hot Deals forum which I frequent it would be a major annoyance to have to keep rehashing dead deals over and over. Now in a technical forum such as computer building there could still be a lot of useful older information to be had. Sort of as a reference guide. So in the end I suppose it's a personal preference based on your tolerance level.......as I said it's a minor annoyance. If they could just somehow keep from popping back up on the top of the board after a period of time I would be appeased.....Then there would be no need to lock them at all. They would die peacefully on their own. I think the only reason people actually post to these old threads is they see it on top of the board and think it's a new post.

Thanks DrPizza for pointing out that this thread was started last January. I guess that makes me guilty of resurrecting a Necro thread....the same thing I'm complaining about....lol....DOH!

Last edited by donfm; 08-29-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

My solution: Ignore them.
If your panties are getting in a bunch over necro threads, you have WAY to much time on your hands.
oldsmoboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
donfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
irony?
You are just never happy unless you are starting some petty argument with somebody are you? You feed on it. You and Oldsmoboat should have a smart ass remark marathon between you. You've both had lots of practice here.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfm View Post
You are just never happy unless you are starting some petty argument with somebody are you? You feed on it. You and Oldsmoboat should have a smart ass remark marathon between you. You've both had lots of practice here.
That statement was ironic, I was not starting anything. I love how everyone thinks AT should be custom molded to their preferences.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
tonyaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappoint View Post
Possible solution might be to automatically lock a thread that is X months old, say 3 months old? Not too hard to code in is it?
Has this solution been implemented yet? ;-)
tonyaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
soccerballtux
Lifer

how about banner at top if old
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyaustin View Post
Has this solution been implemented yet? ;-)
Apparently, you answered you own question
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member

There are mods that can do this.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Dude111

Yes but why bother??

People that worry about this HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS! -- Who cares when a thread was last replied to... JUST BECAUSE THE THREAD STARTER MIGHT NOT SEE IT doesnt mean others wont benefit from it.......

Get over it,worry about stuff that really matters!