Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,050
Default Techsoup. Cheap software for Not for Profits and Libraries.

www.techsoup.org

I don't know if its been mentioned for awhile. Not for profits and libraries can get very cheap manufacturer donated software from the site.

For instance, Windows 8 upgrade for 14 dollars. Office 2010 or 2013 Professional for 32 dollars. Quickbooks Premiere one seat for 45 dollars.

So, if you work for one of the above, or maintain computers for some like I do, you might want to alert potential buyers.
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
EarthwormJim
Diamond Member
 
EarthwormJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Socal
Posts: 3,202
Default

Technet Plus is $42. If you are ok with bending the rules you can buy that to get Office and Windows and whatever other Microsoft software you want.

http://www.techsoup.org/products/tec...05--MSDevTools

Last edited by EarthwormJim; 02-08-2013 at 10:44 PM.
EarthwormJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthwormJim View Post
Technet Plus is $42. If you are ok with bending the rules you can buy that to get Office and Windows and whatever other Microsoft software you want.

http://www.techsoup.org/products/tec...05--MSDevTools
Nice find.
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Lifted
Diamond Member
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthwormJim View Post
Technet Plus is $42. If you are ok with bending the rules you can buy that to get Office and Windows and whatever other Microsoft software you want.

http://www.techsoup.org/products/tec...05--MSDevTools
When a non profit can purchase a copy of Office w/ software assurance for $24, why would you recommend they do something shady like that? If you're going to steal, might as well not even pay the $42 for Technet.
Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
blurredvision
Lifer
 
blurredvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
When a non profit can purchase a copy of Office w/ software assurance for $24, why would you recommend they do something shady like that? If you're going to steal, might as well not even pay the $42 for Technet.
That's not stealing unless you're going against the TOS of the TechNet subscription. I'd imagine it most likely states something to the effect of not using it for businesses or multiple users.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
mleejr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthwormJim View Post
Technet Plus is $42. If you are ok with bending the rules you can buy that to get Office and Windows and whatever other Microsoft software you want.

http://www.techsoup.org/products/tec...05--MSDevTools
You need an association. That requires a federal ESN or FSCS ID for your non-profit.

Even if you have it, you need that organizations authorization code;

"You’re almost done! Please provide your organization’s Association Code and you’ll be added as an authorized agent. An Association Code is created when an organization registers with TechSoup, and is used to link individual TechSoup member accounts to that organization."

Last edited by mleejr; 02-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.
mleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Lifted
Diamond Member
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post
That's not stealing unless you're going against the TOS of the TechNet subscription.
Technet is not for production use. It does not matter that you are a registered not-for-profit, production use is production use, and the Technet TOS are quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post
I'd imagine it most likely states something to the effect of not using it for businesses or multiple users.
Is that not exactly what he is suggesting, or am I missing something here? Technet is for testing in a lab environment, not for purchasing and deploying throughout your organization. MS would find out soon enough after all of the activations anyway, and the activations would certainly stop working after a certain number have been activated.
Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
EarthwormJim
Diamond Member
 
EarthwormJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Socal
Posts: 3,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleejr View Post
You need an association. That requires a federal ESN or FSCS ID for your non-profit.

Even if you have it, you need that organizations authorization code;

"You’re almost done! Please provide your organization’s Association Code and you’ll be added as an authorized agent. An Association Code is created when an organization registers with TechSoup, and is used to link individual TechSoup member accounts to that organization."
Pretty sure it's the same requirement for Office or anything from Microsoft on that site.

http://www.techsoup.org/products/off...-MSOfficeSuite

Look at the Rules and Elgibility there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Technet is not for production use. It does not matter that you are a registered not-for-profit, production use is production use, and the Technet TOS are quite clear.



Is that not exactly what he is suggesting, or am I missing something here? Technet is for testing in a lab environment, not for purchasing and deploying throughout your organization. MS would find out soon enough after all of the activations anyway, and the activations would certainly stop working after a certain number have been activated.
That's not what happens, my Technet keys from 5 years ago are still working. Each key is only good for so many computers anyway, it's not like you could use the subscription for a massive install base. Each of my keys are good for 10 computers at most.

Last edited by EarthwormJim; 02-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.
EarthwormJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.