Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #101
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer
 
MagnusTheBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Thug View Post
I don't think the judge was out of line, but there are rules of conduct for judges too (in CA, a judge must act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary; is required to perform judicial duties without bias or prejudice, including engaging in speech or other conduct that would reasonably be perceived as bias or prejudice, etc.)
The thing is judges 'interpret' those rules and neither you or I get a say.
__________________
"We love you children"
"Oh, yes we do"
"Boiled, Fried and, Barbequed"
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #102
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 14,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
OK, well that might explain it a bit more. If the judge doubled her bail and then gave her 30 days b/c she said "Adios" and then flipped him the bird, that's a little excessive. The judge should be man enough not to let some arrogant brat get under his skin. However if he gave her repeated warnings and she still acted like that, then maybe this will help her learn.
The level of bail isn't supposed to be used as a punishment.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #103
Lepton87
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Poland(EU)
Posts: 1,470
Default

I think she should be allowed to take as much Xanax as she wants, she's not harming anyone. I took Xanax and wouldn't even call it a drug, it just makes you less nervous if you don't have anxiety issues if you do it also relieves that. In high doses it can also make you sleepy, big deal. Alcohol affects your behavior WAY more just like THC. Our freedom is diminishing very fast.
__________________
i5 2500K@4.7GHz,Noctua NH-D14, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 8GB Corsair 1866MHz, Gigabyte GTX Titan, Sandforce 2 120GB + Sandforce 1 60GB 2x2TB WD Caviar, BE Quiet 1200W, dell u2711
Lepton87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #104
zanejohnson
Diamond Member
 
zanejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton87 View Post
I think she should be allowed to take as much Xanax as she wants, she's not harming anyone. I took Xanax and wouldn't even call it a drug, it just makes you less nervous if you don't have anxiety issues if you do it also relieves that. In high doses it can also make you sleepy, big deal. Alcohol affects your behavior WAY more just like THC. Our freedom is diminishing very fast.
yep this right here..

she's the victim here, of the faux drug war in this country... which is in disguise just a way for private prisons to profit, and an attempt to prop up our totally corrupt medical industry by creating fake competition between big pharma and the black market..

she is the victim here.
__________________
Have you not been in OT in the past two years?
He thinks he's the master of the universe. - Shortylickens
zanejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #105
sixone
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Land of Ahs
Posts: 25,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
The level of bail isn't supposed to be used as a punishment.
It wasn't punishment. He was trying to teach her that she got herself into some serious trouble, in the only way he's allowed. Criminal court is not a joke or a party place, as he explained to her.

She got the message. Hopefully, it'll persuade her to get the help she so desperately needs, and she won't be back with new charges.
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #106
sixone
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Land of Ahs
Posts: 25,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanejohnson View Post
yep this right here..

she's the victim here, of the faux drug war in this country... which is in disguise just a way for private prisons to profit, and an attempt to prop up our totally corrupt medical industry by creating fake competition between big pharma and the black market..

she is the victim here.
Horsefeathers. She made her choices, and these are the consequences.
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #107
sourceninja
Diamond Member
 
sourceninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,756
Default

The lawyer in that picture looks like the kind of guy I'd want to represent me...or a homeless man in a suit, I'm not sure which.
sourceninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #108
GagHalfrunt
Lifer
 
GagHalfrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
The thing is judges 'interpret' those rules and neither you or I get a say.
On the contrary, we do get a say, albeit in a roundabout way. Judges on that level are appointed by politicians and those politicians are slaves to public opinion. If a judge embarrasses his court with a flippant attitude towards his job and the video gets out the people who watch the video get a say in what happens next. There was enough controversy about the unprofessional way that he handled that situation that it's fairly likely that the mayor or councilman who controls who gets that position wanted this taken care of quickly and amicably.
__________________
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." - Thomas Paine The Age of Reason

http://www.golfbiztalk.com
GagHalfrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #109
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer
 
MagnusTheBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
On the contrary, we do get a say, albeit in a roundabout way. Judges on that level are appointed by politicians and those politicians are slaves to public opinion. If a judge embarrasses his court with a flippant attitude towards his job and the video gets out the people who watch the video get a say in what happens next. There was enough controversy about the unprofessional way that he handled that situation that it's fairly likely that the mayor or councilman who controls who gets that position wanted this taken care of quickly and amicably.
In the meantime, you're STILL going to spend 30 days in the hole. Amending or vacating a judges decision in as little as a month is lightning fast. And, the behavior of this judge comes nowhere near the level for any such reaction.
__________________
"We love you children"
"Oh, yes we do"
"Boiled, Fried and, Barbequed"
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #110
GagHalfrunt
Lifer
 
GagHalfrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
In the meantime, you're STILL going to spend 30 days in the hole. Amending or vacating a judges decision in as little as a month is lightning fast. And, the behavior of this judge comes nowhere near the level for any such reaction.
WTF is talking about vacating a decision? Councilman sees video, councilman sees shitstorm building, councilman calls judge and says "if I see you acting like that on video again my idiot brother-in-law gets your post and you go back to chasing ambulances. Now make this go away..."

*poof* it goes away. Everyone is going to cover their own ass and while the people who appoint judges don't give a damn about the cases they most assuredly care about bad press that could splatter back onto them.
__________________
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." - Thomas Paine The Age of Reason

http://www.golfbiztalk.com
GagHalfrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #111
zanejohnson
Diamond Member
 
zanejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,786
Default

i'd say he violated the constitution...

used bond as a form of cruel and unusual punishment...

not fit to uphold the law.
__________________
Have you not been in OT in the past two years?
He thinks he's the master of the universe. - Shortylickens

Last edited by zanejohnson; 02-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
zanejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #112
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer
 
MagnusTheBrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
WTF is talking about vacating a decision? Councilman sees video, councilman sees shitstorm building, councilman calls judge and says "if I see you acting like that on video again my idiot brother-in-law gets your post and you go back to chasing ambulances. Now make this go away..."

*poof* it goes away. Everyone is going to cover their own ass and while the people who appoint judges don't give a damn about the cases they most assuredly care about bad press that could splatter back onto them.
First, not every place has a political machine in the way you describe. Second, in the places that do, do you REALLY think the social media has that kind of power in the time frame were talking about? In those places, money talks not, public opinion.

This just in, the majority of folks don't make decisions based on social media, the majority of folks don't even consider social media period. How many people do anything other than whine online? In short, I think you vastly overrate the influence of social media because next week there will be another event to grab the attention of folks who live online.
__________________
"We love you children"
"Oh, yes we do"
"Boiled, Fried and, Barbequed"
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #113
sixone
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Land of Ahs
Posts: 25,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
On the contrary, we do get a say, albeit in a roundabout way. Judges on that level are appointed by politicians and those politicians are slaves to public opinion. If a judge embarrasses his court with a flippant attitude towards his job and the video gets out the people who watch the video get a say in what happens next. There was enough controversy about the unprofessional way that he handled that situation that it's fairly likely that the mayor or councilman who controls who gets that position wanted this taken care of quickly and amicably.
Five minutes on Google would have educated you out of this fantasy you've created.

Judges in the Miami-Dade circuit court are elected to six-year terms. This particular judge comes up for reelection in 2017. By then, no one will remember his name.
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #114
_Rick_
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,718
Default

Maybe this requires a judge-wiki, where such information is made available to the public, and rendered unforgettable.
_Rick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #115
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 30,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanejohnson View Post
yeah she's totally cute, imagine her in lingerie.. imagine her hair down, in a thong, no bra, and fishnets... yeah.. she's hot..

this judge is just a angry white man, probably rapes children, probably goes to his little southern baptist church, where he talks to the other men, who also rape boys, and are high up in the community.. that's the world guys.. dont ignore it.

this girl was just expressing her disgust in "the system" and she should.. it's everything wrong with the current status quo world that we know..

so what she took some fucking xanax's.. omfg.. i bet that judge has some in his system right now.
Good to see that you dope heads stick together.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #116
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 30,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanejohnson View Post
i'd say he violated the constitution...

used bond as a form of cruel and unusual punishment...

not fit to uphold the law.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #117
kage69
Diamond Member
 
kage69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,973
Default

I have zero sympathy for people who mouth off to judges. Outright insults? lol,

Actually kind of weak compared to what some judges do to those who want to argue, she probably would have gotten worse had she been an adult.
__________________
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawal!"

-Winston Churchill
kage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #118
zanejohnson
Diamond Member
 
zanejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage69 View Post
I have zero sympathy for people who mouth off to judges. Outright insults? lol,

Actually kind of weak compared to what some judges do to those who want to argue, she probably would have gotten worse had she been an adult.
she is an adult... she was in county jail..
__________________
Have you not been in OT in the past two years?
He thinks he's the master of the universe. - Shortylickens
zanejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #119
Corporate Thug
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 37,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
The thing is judges 'interpret' those rules and neither you or I get a say.
Incorrect again. You can do the research for your state, but CA as a committee that handles judicial complaints:

http://cjp.ca.gov/

...and here is a list of public reprimands:

http://cjp.ca.gov/pub_discipline_and_decisions.htm
__________________
AKA Shady06

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #120
BUTCH1
Lifer
 
BUTCH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 11,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
B/c hardened criminals have been in/around the courts for a long time. They know the drill and the consequences if you don't act a certain way



Some people may have very little respect for authority or may not even realize the seriousness of court/judges. Some of it is based on their upbringing, some of it is just kids being kids. You think she should be tazed b/c she flipped off a judge and said F you?? The judge is there to make sure justice is served, not act like a pompous ass.

I agree she needs to be taught respect and manners but this seems a little extreme for a girl who had a momentary lapse in judgement who clearly has an addiction/substance abuse issue.
Yea, OK, tased is a little over the top but IDK how she can't understand that kind of disrespect can be trouble..
__________________
Would Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself
could not eat it?? Homer Simpson.
BUTCH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #121
s0me0nesmind1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,182
Default

to be honest, I love the judge provoking for more. If you're dumb enough to fall for it - you deserve more. I just wish they would contribute more money instead of contribute to taking my tax dollars rotting in a prison.
s0me0nesmind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #122
BUTCH1
Lifer
 
BUTCH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 11,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
to be honest, I love the judge provoking for more. If you're dumb enough to fall for it - you deserve more. I just wish they would contribute more money instead of contribute to taking my tax dollars rotting in a prison.
I agree, she should have gotten like 7 days and 175 hrs community service..
__________________
Would Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself
could not eat it?? Homer Simpson.
BUTCH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #123
WelshBloke
Lifer
 
WelshBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 14,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixone View Post
It wasn't punishment. He was trying to teach her that she got herself into some serious trouble, in the only way he's allowed. Criminal court is not a joke or a party place, as he explained to her.

...
The level of bail isn't supposed to be used to teach someone a lesson either.
__________________
...and the more we drink, the more we sing Calon Lan.
WelshBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #124
AmdEmAll
Diamond Member
 
AmdEmAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton87 View Post
I think she should be allowed to take as much Xanax as she wants, she's not harming anyone. I took Xanax and wouldn't even call it a drug, it just makes you less nervous if you don't have anxiety issues if you do it also relieves that. In high doses it can also make you sleepy, big deal. Alcohol affects your behavior WAY more just like THC. Our freedom is diminishing very fast.
Yes but the withdrawal symptoms are absolute hell depending on your dosage.

Oh and this chick is smoking hot... so tiny.
__________________
Heatware 82-0-0
AmdEmAll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #125
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member
 
OBLAMA2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmdEmAll View Post
Yes but the withdrawal symptoms are absolute hell depending on your dosage.

Oh and this chick is smoking hot... so tiny.
yeah she it pretty cute. heres what she looks outside of jail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attitude.html

solid 6
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.