· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
debian0001

Default Went to the gym two days ago

I went to the gym for the first time two days ago with some friends that have been doing it a while. I did various arm exercises, lifted a 45 pound bar, did some sit ups where you catch a ball from the partner and throw back to him. This one weird double rope that you pull down and split it.

Anyways.. I am really sore... is it normal? Like even putting on my jacket sucks and my stomach feels tight.

I want to get in a routine but I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt myself...

I'm 27, 6 feet tall, and 155 pounds.
debian0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
LagunaX

Yeah don't it hurt so good?

Normal.

In 1 week you'll be ready to go back.

In the meanwhile, motrin, creatine, and extra sleep.
Samsung 30nm 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v
Diamond HD 7970
Corsair TX750Win a CM 690 II Advanced
LagunaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
marmasatt
Diamond Member

Being active is one thing buddy but working out is different. If you are using muscles you've never really used or worked out before, then you will get sore. The more you exercise, the easier it becomes and the less sore you will be. Soon if you get in a routine, you will look forward to that feeling because it's a good sore and not a hurting sore if that makes sense. Very normal. You should be able to tell the difference between the normal muscle aches and a "strain" or pull though. The general soreness will not be as intense after 2 weeks or so. Take some Ibuprofen, extra protein and back off if it is not a good hurt. Make sense?

Cheap Glucosamine anyone?
marmasatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Malfeas

Throw in some squats and deadlifts next time and you will have a new definition of the word sore.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus
Malfeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
SaurusX

Like the others said, being your first time out it's not surprising at all. Your body just isn't used to the routine yet, but it will adjust and the soreness will diminish over time, but not entirely. I like being sore and squeezing the sore muscles. Feels good man.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

yea it's pretty normal. I'm kind of surprised that at 27 you're in shock that you're sore after working out for the first time.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaX View Post
Yeah don't it hurt so good?

Normal.

In 1 week you'll be ready to go back.

In the meanwhile, motrin, creatine, and extra sleep.
Actually, no NSAIDs if you want to get stronger. It reduces the enzymes for repairing effectively and getting stronger. If you can't get by without NSAIDs, you need to reduce the weights/reps.

Also, creatine doesn't effect muscle soreness whatsoever in any research article. The best thing he can do is eat well (lots of veggies, greens, lean meats, nuts/seeds), drink a sufficient amount of water, and do some light activity to recover. Stretching will likely help reduce soreness in the future, but won't actually help with the current soreness.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
marmasatt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyChallenged View Post
Actually, no NSAIDs if you want to get stronger. It reduces the enzymes for repairing effectively and getting stronger. If you can't get by without NSAIDs, you need to reduce the weights/reps.

Also, creatine doesn't effect muscle soreness whatsoever in any research article. The best thing he can do is eat well (lots of veggies, greens, lean meats, nuts/seeds), drink a sufficient amount of water, and do some light activity to recover. Stretching will likely help reduce soreness in the future, but won't actually help with the current soreness.
Right. I don't think (or know) that anyone was implying that it would assist soreness. I think he was just being helpful saying - "Look, if you are new to working out, there are a few no-brainers out there that are cheap, legal, and will assist you".....Or that's how I took it. Protein, creatine, vitamins, IB's, water. They are your friends. (Didn't know that about the IB's though).

Cheap Glucosamine anyone?
marmasatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Wyndru
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfeas View Post
Throw in some squats and deadlifts next time and you will have a new definition of the word sore.
Haha, yup, I just got over a 1/2 week of not being able to walk normally. I feel great now, but it was hell taking each step during the recovery.
Wyndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
tedrodai

I remember doing that to myself a couple of times in high school. I did it the first time I ever lifted weights with a squat workout, and then once again after a significant layoff the next summer. Then I learned not to start so heavy when I haven't lifted in a while.
tedrodai is online now   Reply With Quote