· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
speedy2
Golden Member

Default HP M8300F - Replace Mobo with OEM or go with new/different brand?

I've got an m8300F. Mobo is dead. Swelled capacitors. The rest of the system is great.

The mobo is a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)

Should I replace it with another one or go with a something else. Is the ease of the OS already installed worth it? Also any recommendations on what mobo to go with if I switch. Would be using Newegg.com CPU installed is an AMD 64 X2 6000+
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
AstroGuardian

Is it still under warranty? If it's not then replacing with OEM board will be damn expensive. But if you don't go through OEM, you will lose the OEM license for Windows...
Maybe it's worth to go with new better board and a new Windows 7 license (assuming you might have Windows XP or Vista OEM?)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Dahak
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGuardian View Post
But if you don't go through OEM, you will lose the OEM license for Windows...
Not really, the windows license allows you to replace the motherboard if it has failed completely

But there is also the following

1) the front panel connectors might be a bit of a pia to connect
2) the original recovery media will not work.

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with last week.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
AstroGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
Not really, the windows license allows you to replace the motherboard if it has failed completely
Yes but ONLY if the motherboard (the whole computer) is still under warranty. Note that i am talking about an OEM licence. If the warranty is void then the OEM license dies as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGuardian View Post
Note that i am talking about an OEM licence. If the warranty is void then the OEM license dies as well.
I've never heard that, pretty sure that's untrue. There's nothing that ties the OEM license to the warranty period. If that were true, then there are a lot of people with OEM systems with unlicensed windows.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
nenforcer
Golden Member

Plenty of those boards are available on eBay right now. I think you'd save yourself a lot of trouble if you were to get an identical model rather than trying to fit a different aftermarket board in there.

A lot of times the cables aren't long enough or the dimensions not exact with the power supply getting in the way.
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce 2 MB
Seagate 7200.10 7200 RPM 250GB IDE w/ 8MB Cache Perpendicular
EVGA Geforce 7800GS 256MB AGP 8X
BFGTech Ageia Physx 128MB PPU PCI
1GB (512MBx2) Crucial Ballistix DDR400 4-4-4 Dual Channel
nVidia Soundstorm Dolby Digital Coaxial
Sony CPD-E540 21" CRT Monitor 1600x1200 85Hz VSYNC Off
Windows XP SP3
nenforcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
AstroGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
I've never heard that, pretty sure that's untrue. There's nothing that ties the OEM license to the warranty period. If that were true, then there are a lot of people with OEM systems with unlicensed windows.
What are you talking about? What i say happens in Europe all the time. You get the OEM license for almost free as long as you use it with the computer (motherboard, processor and hard drive) you purchased. In recent years there is a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the installation files for the OEM Windows. If you change the motherboard the Windows does not even install at all. I have done this million times and i know what i am talking about. If your motherboard fails during warranty period they change it in the supplier's service and contact the local Microsoft office stating info on the computer's serial numbers etc etc. So Microsoft allow you to reactivate Windows one more time.

And yes, there are lots of people who don't buy licenses after their brand machines die. That is true especially in South-eastern Europe (where i live and work by the way). And that's why Microsoft revenue is so low here.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
speedy2
Golden Member

Ok guys, there are a few variations of this board. Do I need to get the EXACT one.

Example - Mine is a MCP61PM-HM 5189-2786

And the ones on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NETTLE2-GL8E-...item3a5fb0a81a

This one has 2 RAM slots instead of 4
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-5189-0930-518...item3a5f5c99ab
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
tcsenter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Technically, its supposed to be a manufacturer's authorized or approved replacement. Not too many ways for MS to reliably verify this.
tcsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
jjmIII
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
Not really, the windows license allows you to replace the motherboard if it has failed completely.
This!

I've talked to MS during an activation and told them it was a mobo replacement. They verified the OS and said have a nice day .

Some people around here are bigger MS police than MS!

Quote:
But there is also the following

1) the front panel connectors might be a bit of a pia to connect
2) the original recovery media will not work.
These are also good points, but not impossible to overcome.
Front panel connectors are getting easier IMO.

I hate OEM mobos, and would try to get a replacement off Newegg.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
AstroGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmIII View Post
True, but here in Europe i can see things are run differently by Microsoft. Sometimes they just do the job and somethings you need it done by the service providers.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
speedy2
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmIII View Post
This!

I've talked to MS during an activation and told them it was a mobo replacement. They verified the OS and said have a nice day .

These are also good points, but not impossible to overcome.
Front panel connectors are getting easier IMO.

I hate OEM mobos, and would try to get a replacement off Newegg.
I'm thinking this too. A nice new board will probably last longer, and I can probably get one cheaper. Even if I lose the license I have another Vista and XP license I could use.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
speedy2
Golden Member

I'm liking this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128394

Had firewire. And should be ok for everything else that's on this case. I want to retail 100% functionality of the case if possible.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
midway

One thing to remember is that you need to make sure the front panel connections are the same, HP tends to use proprietary front panel connections, and not all HP boards use the same one. So you might be stuck with a system with no functional power button or activity lights unless you want to make your own.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
speedy2
Golden Member

I went ahead and bought that board from newegg. They have a 10% coupon today as well. I will definitely check on those connections.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
speedy2
Golden Member

Well. Everything plugged into the board without modification. Windows is installed at the moment. I'll see how everything plays together once all the drivers and such are loaded.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
speedy2
Golden Member

Also forgot to mention that the OEM COA worked fine.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
glenleslie

Default 2013 Update: MCP61PM-HM Rev 1.0B replaced with Gigabyte mATX, 78LMT-USB

Greetings,

I could not find any of the boards mentioned in this thread as of Jan 2013. They're all out of production.

However, wanted to pass along the good news that I got an AM3+ board to work in an HP a6318f (2007 vintage, refurb'd unit bought in 2008, replaced with an ebay MCP61PM-HM board in 2010, died again here in Jan 2013 -- the usual... exploded/bad caps and... I'm not a hardware sautering jock so... had to do the rip and replace thing). Many other HP Pavilions had variations of this MB in them so hopefully this helps a few people-- I still see a lot of these towers for sale on ebay; I would really question how long they'll last as this MB is infamous for bad caps (see link above - if you're into it you can replace caps for ~$20)

NOTE: You can still get MCP61PM-HM 1.0B replacement boards on ebay for about $80 but I really question their reliability-- this last one cost me $60 and it only lasted two years before it's repeat belly up performance.

Anyway, I was able to replace the board for about $150 by buying some stuff cheap/used.
  1. Gigabyte mATX, 78LMT-USB3 MB from Newegg for $49 after rebate - xmas special.
  2. 8 GB DDR3 RAM for $46 - used, ebay (board can take up to 32GB)
  3. Athlon II X3 450 with heat sink for $50 (enabled processor for quad processor for a few reboots) - new

I hope to recoupe ~$50+ of this by selling off the old processor, fan and memory (8GB).. so net cost should be under $100.

(Yes, overall, I was a bit bummed that I couldn't find an AM2 board so I could cannibalize the CPU and DDR2 memory. Oh well... total machine update to ~2013 standards for <$100 isn't bad. I just couldn't find a board which I trusted I could map all the ports trying to do it sight unseen via the internet.)

I did need one additional, 6 inch 3 pin system fan extension wire since the MCP board system fan is at the back of the unit and the Gigabyte board's power is at the front of the unit next to the main ATX power plug. NOTE: the Giga MB had a 4 pin fan connector for both CPU and System fan-- so far just plugging in the three pin system fan has worked -- no system alerts about fan speed or sensor alerts... maybe it will run too much though?)

Good old HP gives you just enough info about the MB connectors on their OEM board to be really, really frustrating. Fortunately, most of what you need is silkscreened right on the MB itself.

All USB connectors worked without modification (including front) -- just take careful note of their orientation and position on the original HP MBs (there are three - one for front usb, one for HP L120 drive (fuhgettaboutit-- I just plugged it in and it is recognized, it's junk) and one for the 15-in-1 media card reader (SD, MMC, Sony Memory Stick/Duo etc) ).

The Power Switch and front LEDs work. the block layout is identical on the Giga MB as it was on the OEM HP board. there's a blocked pin on the original connector which guides you to proper install on the Giga board. See the HP block layout for power, LEDs, reset... here.

Two things not working:
1. front sound ports - the plug for the HP board doesn't map neatly to the Gigabyte board but I really don't care-- not even bothering to futz with it.
2. the 1394 port has no connector on the new board-- zero loss for me-- I used it on my ancient (even in 2008) 15GB ipod and then... nevermore.

Existing Win7 install (from the MCP motherboard) was amazingly forgiving on bootup and doing driver replacement ... toughest one was my Kensington optical mouse... had to make a couple passes on drivers to get it to install. There was one massive driver search for about 10 minutes and all but the Ethernet card and and USB 3.0 bus were recognized.

I installed the Ethernet and USB 3.0 drivers off of the Giga supplied CD (came in box) and both were recognized without a hitch.

Overall, 24 hours into it: A+

Last edited by glenleslie; 02-07-2013 at 12:00 AM.
glenleslie is offline   Reply With Quote