· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
iluvdeal
Golden Member

There's a documentary series from HBO called "The Weight of the Nation" which explores the causes of obesity and the possible solutions well. Your observations are what they've confirmed as well. The series is free on the iTunes store in case you're interested in the topic.
iluvdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
Whisper
Diamond Member

My favorite re: the reduced activity level in the US would be the people who spend a good 10-15 minutes circling the parking lot at my gym waiting on a close spot to open up rather than heading an extra ~200ft to the back of the lot (and subsequently having to walk a bit farther).

Really, you're at the gym and you can't find the motivation to walk an extra 200ft to/from your car? Must be the same people who head in, "stretch" for 30 minutes, walk on the treadmill while talking to a friend on the phone for another 20 minutes, and then leave thinking they've been productive with their time. I'd imagine they then head right down the street to McDonald's because, hey, "they've earned it."
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
Mursilis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Really, you're at the gym and you can't find the motivation to walk an extra 200ft to/from your car? Must be the same people who head in, "stretch" for 30 minutes, walk on the treadmill while talking to a friend on the phone for another 20 minutes, and then leave thinking they've been productive with their time. I'd imagine they then head right down the street to McDonald's because, hey, "they've earned it."
Sounds like some of today's marathoners who worry about 7 or 8 hour sweep times. It's great you're out there and all, but are you really training properly if getting swept is a legitimate concern from the start? Or are you just there for the medal and the right to call yourself a "marathoner", while exerting the minimum amount of effort required?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
vertika
Banned

Thumbs up

Do mantle work never be corpulent......
vertika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
IceBergSLiM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
We eat twice the amount and move way way less than even half the amount of the Chinese.
granted we are twice the size of the average chinese before getting fat.
IceBergSLiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
CPA
Elite Member

I know the mantra is eat less, move more and weight issues will disappear. However, I read a fascinating book recently called "Wheat Belly". The premise is that wheat, in all forms, is the real culprit in weight gain and other ailments. The agriculture industry, pushed by governmental agencies, has bastardized the molecular structure of the grain such that our body does not react to it like it did 50+ years ago. The author argues that wheat is behind increases in celiac disease, arthritis, increase in diabetes and many other ailments. He's not bashing the natural form of wheat (einkorn), but rather the most commonly grown form - dwarf wheat, which is man-made. The book was written by a doctor and he includes both anecdotal data form his own practice and studies to prove his points.

What's most fascinating is the volume of products that contain wheat. it's become so commonplace that we never think of what it's doing to us.

BTW, I'm not anti-GMO or pro-organic, but thought the book did a good job of at least opening my eyes to something that I never fully understood.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
Saint Nick
Lifer

Wheat Belly....lmfao. What a joke.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #33
blackdogdeek
Lifer

My doctor recommended a wheat-free diet because he suspects wheat can cause issues related to weight-gain and GI inflammation.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
Cstefan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
My favorite re: the reduced activity level in the US would be the people who spend a good 10-15 minutes circling the parking lot at my gym waiting on a close spot to open up rather than heading an extra ~200ft to the back of the lot (and subsequently having to walk a bit farther).
I do love this one! And a Chipotle burrito makes me want to vomit. Don't get me wrong, they are AWESOME but just so big.
Cstefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
CPA
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
Wheat Belly....lmfao. What a joke.
The title is a joke or are you using your expertise to rebuff the doctors contentions?

Last edited by CPA; 02-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
TraumaRN
Diamond Member

I read Wheat Belly and while the author made some interesting points, I'm not sure of the validity of all of them.

Rather I think wheat/gluten intolerance may be higher than we know.

That being said I have cut back on my wheat consumption after reading the book. I don't feel any better or worse, but then again I've never had GI tract problems. That and I buy my bread from a local bakery and it contains 8 ingredients.
I've gotta hunch that its not just wheat but a combo of perhaps highly processed wheat and the multitude of preservatives, flavor additions etc.

TraumaRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #37
CPA
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaRN View Post
I read Wheat Belly and while the author made some interesting points, I'm not sure of the validity of all of them.

Rather I think wheat/gluten intolerance may be higher than we know.

That being said I have cut back on my wheat consumption after reading the book. I don't feel any better or worse, but then again I've never had GI tract problems. That and I buy my bread from a local bakery and it contains 8 ingredients.
I've gotta hunch that its not just wheat but a combo of perhaps highly processed wheat and the multitude of preservatives, flavor additions etc.
I agree with your assessment completely. I'm doing the same, trying to cut out the high amounts of wheat I was intaking.