· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #51
Annisman*
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badb0y View Post
What makes these games so great? The storyline? I haven't played any of them and I am thinking of jumping in after I beat Dead Space 3.
Deciding whether to let a village kill the town witch (who isn't all bad) or killing all the 'lice ridden' peasants who are coming to burn her.

The interesting choices.
Gigabyte Assasin 2 X79 |3930K @ 4.4 | Crsr H100 p/p | Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 1.5/8000| 16gGskill ddr3-2133 | Samsung 830 256g SSD (OS) | 512g Crucial M4 SSD (Games) | WD Black 4TB | Asus Xonar Stx l 650ti Physx l Cooler Master Gold 1K Watt | Win7- 64 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz w/G-Sync | Sennheiser 650 l Cosmos 2
-Christian, Conservative, PC Gamer.-
Annisman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #52
Zenoth
Diamond Member

It's very ambitious, I have my hopes up, but I'll remain realistic.

That list of features is just what they think should make it in, and right now it sounds great. But many development teams often eventually have to cut corners, or modify originally-planned or partially completed features, maps, characters, story lines or whatever you can think of. Now of course the bigger the budget the more stuff you can work on, and the longer you can work on it, and their engine might allow pretty much everything they're planning to do. We'll see, but to be honest I'll just start to be really excited about it the day they release a list of features that did make it, then and only then, for me, will be a matter of time and a total " Shut up and take my money! " pre-order.
GPU: ASUS GTX 670 DCUII 2GB @ Stock

"To vanquish without adversity is to triumph without glory."
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #53
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoth View Post
It's very ambitious, I have my hopes up, but I'll remain realistic.

That list of features is just what they think should make it in, and right now it sounds great. But many development teams often eventually have to cut corners, or modify originally-planned or partially completed features, maps, characters, story lines or whatever you can think of. Now of course the bigger the budget the more stuff you can work on, and the longer you can work on it, and their engine might allow pretty much everything they're planning to do. We'll see, but to be honest I'll just start to be really excited about it the day they release a list of features that did make it, then and only then, for me, will be a matter of time and a total " Shut up and take my money! " pre-order.
Except their list isn't overly ambitious. A lot of it is simple really. Ditching the old questing system for a monster hunting system is easy enough. Unique armor and special recipes: easy enough. Sure, the story bits sound hard, but require just some simple scripting.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #54
Demo24
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackababy View Post
Except their list isn't overly ambitious. A lot of it is simple really. Ditching the old questing system for a monster hunting system is easy enough. Unique armor and special recipes: easy enough. Sure, the story bits sound hard, but require just some simple scripting.

Yup, they've released videos about red kit( their engine tools) and made a new quest with a level in all of 10 minutes. Granted it wasn't fancy, but the red engine makes it pretty easy to add in these types of quests.

I have faith they will be good to most all of what they want in there. Cdpr may not be huge, but they have enough capital that they can spend the time they need to get it sorted.

Really can't wait to see images with the new renderer!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #55
terry107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annisman* View Post
Deciding whether to let a village kill the town witch (who isn't all bad) or killing all the 'lice ridden' peasants who are coming to burn her.

The interesting choices.
And that's just in the first couple of hours of gameplay.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #56
Nintendesert
Diamond Member

I guess I need to finish 2 now.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
sigurros81
Platinum Member

I love the stories in Witcher 1 and 2 (especially Witcher 2). They're not your typical let's stop this evil madman from destroying/taking over the world. The stories tend to be more personal (searching for his love) wrapped around Game of Thrones style political wars and intrigue and social issues like racism. Honestly I have not played a game with this sort of serious story telling in a very long time.

For those who are looking into playing the games for the first time, I highly recommend reading this blog, it really helps you understand the deep layers of the various political wars that go on in the game as you are playing.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index...s/#entry692170

I just hope that Witcher 3 will bring Geralt down to the southern Nilfguaardian states to bring the pain directly to these guys' doors.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #58
Daverino
Platinum Member

:-(

I'm still on freakin' Oblivion. Once I finish that, then I can finish Skyrim, play ME2, Witcher 2, ME3 and THEN I can get this.
Daverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #59
Chiefcrowe
Diamond Member

It's not all that bad.. by the time you're done with all of those, this one should be out and ready to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverino View Post

I'm still on freakin' Oblivion. Once I finish that, then I can finish Skyrim, play ME2, Witcher 2, ME3 and THEN I can get this.
Chiefcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #60
sigurros81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverino View Post

I say skip the ME games and go straight to the Witcher
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #61
dpodblood
Diamond Member

I love the Witcher Series and CDP has never let me down. They are one of the best (if not the best) companies in gaming, and the games are incredible. As sad as it is that this will be the last in the series I would rather they stop now than milk it to death like *some franchises*.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #62
Bateluer
Lifer

I'll preorder when they open.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #63
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

I bought Witcher 2, barely started it, the combat was utterly confusing (but I was playing a steady mix of Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Counter-Strike at the time, so maybe I just didn't have room in my brain for a new control scheme). I need to go back and give it another shot.
Atomic Playboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #64
sigurros81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodblood View Post
I love the Witcher Series and CDP has never let me down. They are one of the best (if not the best) companies in gaming, and the games are incredible. As sad as it is that this will be the last in the series I would rather they stop now than milk it to death like *some franchises*.
Probably the last in Geralt's personal quest, but probably not the last in the universe.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #65
AMDZen
Lifer

For someone lagging behind like others in this thread, should I play Witcher 1 and then 2, or just skip to Witcher 2 and be OK? If I need to play both to get the most of the second one, I will but it will mean I have to allocate more time that I don't have so hoping I can just play 2 and then move on to this one

Gaming Computer - i5 - 2500k @ 4.6 Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480 | Win7 x64
AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #66
Dankk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
For someone lagging behind like others in this thread, should I play Witcher 1 and then 2, or just skip to Witcher 2 and be OK? If I need to play both to get the most of the second one, I will but it will mean I have to allocate more time that I don't have so hoping I can just play 2 and then move on to this one
Play both, starting with 1. If you have a hard time getting into or don't like 1, then skip ahead and play 2. The Witcher 1 and 2 are extremely different games, and there are lots of people (including those on this forum) who say they hated the first but loved the second. You'll miss out on some story bits but it's not a huge deal.
SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU

Steam
Dankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #67
JoetheLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Not that none of this is possible, but this sounds sort of like Peter Molyneux was hired by CD Projekt RED.
I was this sceptical when the first Witcher was in its neverending development state, but then I saw it and played it and realized that they actually delivered (almost) all they promised.
JoetheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #68
CPA
Elite Member

So, this thread got my juices going and I decided to boot up Witcher 2. Farthest I had made it previously was the tutorial. this time I went straight to the game...and I'M LOVING IT! yes, combat is different and I can't stand not being able to use healing potion during battle, but so far the story overshadows those issues.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #69
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanDan View Post
Play both, starting with 1. If you have a hard time getting into or don't like 1, then skip ahead and play 2. The Witcher 1 and 2 are extremely different games, and there are lots of people (including those on this forum) who say they hated the first but loved the second. You'll miss out on some story bits but it's not a huge deal.
I'll just skip ahead to 2. I tried 1 and couldn't get into it. I know that I probably could if I kept playing through the beginning but I got bored too quickly.

Gaming Computer - i5 - 2500k @ 4.6 Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480 | Win7 x64
AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #70
sigurros81
Platinum Member

Witcher 1 is a really fun game if you have not played 2, but if you've played W2 already, you probably won't enjoy W1 as much. The gameplay mechanics of W1 is what I consider substandard from what you'd expect from an action RPG, but if you enjoy a great freaking story and really fun sidequests, definitely give it a shot.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
Pray To Jesus
Diamond Member

pls hopefully I'll finish Witcher 2 by then =D
Pray To Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #72
ghost recon88
Diamond Member

I don't think 16GB of RAM is gonna cut it after reading the features list.
ghost recon88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #73
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
Witcher 1 is a really fun game if you have not played 2, but if you've played W2 already, you probably won't enjoy W1 as much. The gameplay mechanics of W1 is what I consider substandard from what you'd expect from an action RPG, but if you enjoy a great freaking story and really fun sidequests, definitely give it a shot.
I just came in with the idea that it wasn't an action RPG, but it wasn't turn based. Sure, the combat wasn't amazing, but I never focused on that.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #74
sigurros81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackababy View Post
I just came in with the idea that it wasn't an action RPG, but it wasn't turn based. Sure, the combat wasn't amazing, but I never focused on that.
Yeah, I still enjoy the game immensely. To be honest, I didn't mind the monotonous combat because it made me more focused on the other aspects of the game, like the engaging quests and storytelling. I sound like such a fan boy when I say it but Bioware an Bethesda needs to take notes from these guys on how to deliver a good story.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #75
homercles337
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
Dragon lair style? I thought it was more or less like a Zelda boss battle.
Have you never played Dragon's Lair? Its a game where you hit a button or a joystick at EXACTLY the right time during a quicktime-like movie to get the next quicktime-like movie, which then leads to another series of button joystick actions at EXACTLY the right moment...or you die.

Tags
the witch 3