· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Z15CAM
Golden Member

Default Backing Up Win7 64Bit Registry?

Other then using Windows Crappy System Protection and Restore, is there any descent 3rd Party Registry Back Up Apps that work on Win7 64Bit.

RegVac and WinRescue do not work on Win7 64Bit. Even if you manage to Export the whole Registry with RegEdit it will not Import - Not even in Safemode - Sish!

And of course SubinACL for Win7 hasn't worked since WinXP. I think it's about impossible for anyone to take ownership of the mega wayward poor Registry entrys.

I find RegVac Registry Cleaner does work verily well but it takes hours to SetUp to get any results.

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-04-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
imagoon
Diamond Member

Registry is party of the "system state" in the Windows backup. You can restore a system state with restore in safe mode.

Stop wasting your time with the "registry cleaners." All they do is clean out your wallet.
imagoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Z15CAM
Golden Member

Quote:
Registry is party of the "system state" in the Windows backup
That's all I want to do is: have a BackUp the Registry and over-write it before doing a reboot so that all Programs and Applications return to a Specific Constant State after long Sessions of Work.

I do not want to Image the entire System or have it running in the background then have to Dump it over the System in order to Restore a Constant State.

WinXP and Win7 x32 has no problem with backing up the registry and over-writing only the registry with 3rd Party Registry BackUp Apps - I have NO need to back up application or personal files. MS System Protection and Restore does not do what I want it to do even if it is enabled, constantly running in the background or setup a Scheduled Task and in most cases it doesn't do it's job.

Yes Registry Cleaners definitly have a use of Cleaning out Dead Keys after Installing and Uninstalling prospective applications, Dead MRU's, Dead XComs, Dead Short Cuts, Dead Application Links ...etc. I know my way around the Windows Registry.

You mean to say that we can use Windows Back Up that is "System Protection known as System Restore" WHEN TURNED ON to specifically backup the Registry, and only the Registry at any time, and then access the Reg-BackUp with or without System Protection Enabled in order to over-write the Registry, which is the System State, so that on Reboot everything returns back to your Personal Settings - Sure would like to find out how to do that without Dumping a Full System BackUp every day - Specifically in Win7 x64 - If anybody knows how to do that - Let us know ;o)

Sure wish I as an administrator could take full charge of the Win7 x64 Registry and hand it over RegEdit or SFC or to a 3rd party App with the Silver Bullet and rid myself of Stupid MS System Protection - LOL

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
imagoon
Diamond Member

What are you talking about?

Windows system state restore is not system recovery. The registry is part of the system state. You can restore it any time you want.

I still stand by registry cleaners being a waste of time and money.

This is also in the wrong forum. A registry restore is not "highly technical" and actually quite simplistic, "admining 101."

If you just want to keep reverting the system, go buy something like Deep Freeze and be done with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Z15CAM
Golden Member

Quote:
What are you talking about?
I can say the same thing and I will say Win7 x64 Registry Permissions is considerably overwhelming compared to WinXP or Win7 32 bit. One thing I did not want to do is spend all my time playing with Permissions over Registry Editing and BackUps.

By the way I did find a 3rd Party App that does exactly what I wanted for my purposes - It's called: "ERUNT v1.1"

And for your information I believe the old "MS RegClean v4.1a" designed by MS Tech's years ago is still the Best Registry Cleaner.

I say no thanks to MS Restore and their Stupid System Recovery. ERUNT and GHOST v8 Corp through DOS does me just fine ;o)

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-05-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
imagoon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
I can say the same thing and I will say Win7 x64 Registry Permissions is considerably overwhelming compared to WinXP or Win7 32 bit. One thing I did not want to do is spend all my time playing with Permissions over Registry Editing and BackUps.

By the way I did find a 3rd Party App that does exactly what I wanted for my purposes - It's called: "ERUNT v1.1"

And for your information I believe the old "MS RegClean v4.1a" designed by MS Tech's years ago is still the Best Registry Cleaner.

I say no thanks to MS Restore and their Stupid System Recovery. ERUNT and GHOST v8 Corp through DOS does me just fine ;o)
You keep calling it system recovery. That isn't what I am talking about but it seems you found yourself some 3rd party tool so good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Z15CAM
Golden Member

Quote:
You keep calling it system recovery. That isn't what I am talking about but it seems you found yourself some 3rd party tool so good luck.
Explain it - What's the Diff when all I want is the Registry without System Restore running in the Background. Tell us HOW you can Copy the Registry and Dump it with the Least CLK's without using Volumes of Drive Space and only on NTFS (Perhaps EFI) with System Protection Enabled and be able to use with every boot - Loved WinSE as it didn't even need a Boot Disc, Let Us know - EXPLAIN how YOU do it.

Put it this way: I don't want BIG GUI APPS and in particular MS Restore Points when I can still restore a system through DOS with a 1.38Mb Floppy: however legacy is going out the door- WHY. MAN you can still boot Dos throw an Optic or USB Port to Fat 16, 32 or FatX on Win7x's64 or Win8 64 OS to Drive A and it doesn't EXIST - LOL. MS hates this and I doubt we will ever let it GO.

The FAT table is limited (Say 32G's using 16384 unit clusters) but MS is bound and bent to fill it beyond capacity with their NTFS GUI and Permission Crap.

MS names it "SECURITY, RESTORE, SYSTEM STATE, PROTECTION, RECOVERY, SNAPSHOT..." but it's really a Marketing MONEY TRAP.

AND YES I will WALK through my Windows Registry using what ever Reg-Cleaner I can use, if it will SAVE Time. RegVac is still Good if you spend a few DAY'S Configuring it but you have to save the Reg Multiple times with in hours to do it. I helped write RegVac - Sadly it's getting out of Tune due to the SUCKY Volume of MS NTFS POINTLESS GUI.

NOW you ask WHY I Posted this at ANANDTECH!

EXCUSE my spelling, broken finger, dezelectia (can't spell it) and ignorance ..etc as it took me 5 Years to convince my Secondary Grade 13 Grade Teachers to Ticket me into any Canadian Collage or University of my choice - I'm talking 1970.

Spell dezelectia for me ;o)

PS: I have not given GRUNT my Final Approval - Kinda think I should have stuck with BSD - Thorcher & Torcher then Torcher more, thank the Binary God for DOS GHOST.

I'm finally in the Rehlm of 5+ GHz & loading a 4 Core Hyper Thread 64-bit OS and "Rehlm" is my Word ;o)

I name her "LOKI". Don't want to go there.

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
imagoon
Diamond Member

Why you are now talking money traps and odd ball file system stuff which is completely unrelated to this issue? I am completing this to help any users that search for this:

Here from the CLI: reboot to a dos prompt. You can use that convenient 100MB partition Windows 7 installs.

Navigate to cwindows\system32\config
The registry hives are:

DEFAULT (.log1,.log2)
SAM (.log1,.log2)
SECURITY (.log1,.log2)
SOFTWARE (.log1,.log2)
SYSTEM (.log1,.log2)

Copy them to what ever media you prefer.

Recovery is just copying them back.

If you care about the USER hive then that is in cusers\%username%\ as
ntuser.dat (.log1,.log2)

No GUI required.

The definition of System state hasn't changed since Windows NT 3.51. If you google it the definition is hit #1 on MS technet

I am out.

Last edited by imagoon; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Gunbuster
Diamond Member

It sounds like you need to virtualize and use a differencing disk or snapshots.

You dont want to do that though, it would be "Thorcher"
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Z15CAM
Golden Member

I am new to MS NTFS x's 64-bit but this is what I have observed after fighting Registry Permission over BAD Installations. I can take 27 G's of their latest and BEST, back it up to a 5.3G volume on FAT, using a DOS 1.35MB GHOST App, to a HDD, Optic or Thumb SSD drive which can be accessed similarly to RESTORE the OS.

Why can't MS Figure this OUT?

In Which case who cares about Permissions or failed Installations.

How can MS claim that Win NTFS is FREE from DOS when their own installations are based on DOS. EFI is just a Money Grabbing Ruze in my Opinion - Why do they Hide the BOOTMBR Partition upon Installation other then that it is FAT and DOS Accessible.

Geez's even Win3.1 Dos 5.5 Delpart.EXE on a 1MB Dos Bootable Disc can see it and Work 500+GB Volumes. Just throw in Ghost while loaded in RAM during the session and WOLLA! Eat your Heart out DISKPART as you can restore just about any OS with one Boot and a few Clicks.

Anyway we're getting OFF Topic and my Questions remains and that is: " How to obtain a clean/re-storable Win7 x's 64-bit Registry with or without using the ENABLED Stupid System Protection" - Whatever you want to name it.

PS:
I HATE BIG Patches of GUI. I've installed various versions of AISuite II PC Probe II, with the PATCH, and it's SHIT compared to the old MBM App that sits in the Sys-Tray displaying Temp, Ram Usage + with one CLK all the Info you want in regards to Voltage Temp and fan Spds running Win7 32-bit on a Socket-A GA-7N400 Pro 2 (Rev2) at 2.3G's for the last 10 years.

I've Crashed this ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3, Win7 x's64 Multiple times just trying to instal ASUS Probe II, so far I thinks another Piece of Sh*t and what what the H&LL, eing retired, I got all the in the World to argue with you Guys and Gals. It's my problem and I will ENDURE or possibly live longer.

She's a Sweet Board, so far, with a i7 2700K and 16G's of Samsung MV-3V4G3D-US XFX Pro 850W KM3 Bkack Edition and hasn't missed a beat after 3 days of Hit and Miss Installations.

I know she is capable of running at least, 4.8G's 24/7- perhaps for another 10 yrs and it will take me another 6 months to do it and I`m bound to see it though. ;o)

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Zxian

Quote:
I am new to MS NTFS x's 64-bit but this is what I have observed after fighting Registry Permission over BAD Installations. I can take 27 G's of their latest and BEST, back it up to a 5.3G volume on FAT, using a DOS 1.35MB GHOST App, to a HDD, Optic or Thumb SSD drive which can be accessed similarly to RESTORE the OS.
Much of that 27GB is your pagefile and hibernation file by default. Those don't get included in Ghost backups, and then the rest gets compressed. Your 5.3GB doesn't really surprise me. NTFS hasn't changed significantly in over 10 years, so the fact that a DOS-bootable application can read and write to NTFS volumes isn't surprising.

Quote:
Why can't MS Figure this OUT?

In Which case who cares about Permissions or failed Installations.
Because your use case doesn't apply to a large enough portion of the market.

Quote:
How can MS claim that Win NTFS is FREE from DOS when their own installations are based on DOS. EFI is just a Money Grabbing Ruze in my Opinion - Why do they Hide the BOOTMBR Partition upon Installation other then that it is FAT and DOS Accessible.
Do you have any idea how much backwards compatibility goes into Windows? Up until 64-bit versions of Vista/Win7, you were able to run DOS applications from the 80's on your computer.

EFI has nothing to do with Microsoft. This is you just ranting.

They hide the system reserved partition because it stores sensitive data. Do you really want non-techies going and digging around in your master boot record on a daily basis? Or changing the encryption keys for BitLocker?

Quote:
Geez's even Win3.1 Dos 5.5 Delpart.EXE on a 1MB Dos Bootable Disc can see it and Work 500+GB Volumes. Just throw in Ghost while loaded in RAM during the session and WOLLA! Eat your Heart out DISKPART as you can restore just about any OS with one Boot and a few Clicks.
I really don't get what you're going on about. Enjoy your horribly fragmented FAT and limitations to 2TB volumes in 2013.

Quote:
Anyway we're getting OFF Topic and my Questions remains and that is: " How to obtain a clean/re-storable Win7 x's 64-bit Registry with or without using the ENABLED Stupid System Protection" - Whatever you want to name it.
imagoon answered your question very clearly and simply. Simply copy the registry hives before windows is loaded. To my knowledge, there is no way of restoring the system hives while Windows is running.

Quote:
PS:
I HATE BIG Patches of GUI. I've installed various versions of AISuite II PC Probe II, with the PATCH, and it's SHIT compared to the old MBM App that sits in the Sys-Tray displaying Temp, Ram Usage + with one CLK all the Info you want in regards to Voltage Temp and fan Spds running Win7 32-bit on a Socket-A GA-7N400 Pro 2 (Rev2) at 2.3G's for the last 10 years.

I've Crashed this ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3, Win7 x's64 Multiple times just trying to instal ASUS Probe II, so far I thinks another Piece of Sh*t and what what the H&LL, eing retired, I got all the in the World to argue with you Guys and Gals. It's my problem and I will ENDURE or possibly live longer.

She's a Sweet Board, so far, with a i7 2700K and 16G's of Samsung MV-3V4G3D-US XFX Pro 850W KM3 Bkack Edition and hasn't missed a beat after 3 days of Hit and Miss Installations.

I know she is capable of running at least, 4.8G's 24/7- perhaps for another 10 yrs and it will take me another 6 months to do it and I`m bound to see it though. ;o)
And none of what you've described here has to do with Microsoft. If ASUS Probe II isn't working, that's ASUS' fault. If your system is crashing with Windows7 x64, then your hardware is probably faulty, or you've really gutted something in the registry that you were better off leaving alone. My laptop has been running the same version of Win7 x64 for about two years now. I've got a Win7 x64 VM that's been going for about 4 years now (ever since Win7 came out - it's been upgraded to SP1 and updated along the way). Windows7 is stable. Drivers and hardware are not.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Z15CAM
Golden Member

WHOA!

I got no problems with Crashing because I can BackUp through DOS as I Load. As far as the ASUS AI Suite, primarily Probe II, is concerned I've elected to discard it for the time being as it is one terrible written app full of GUI Crap that will walk all over your desktop - from what I see - Too Bad MBM 5 hasn't been UpDated for these newer Motherboards. In time I may get Probe II to work efficiently but it's a waste of time before I get all my other Apps Installed and running efficiently.

Yes Crashing and Registry Debris is enviable while loading, if you know what I mean. I want the Registry as Clean as I can make it - It is your Silver Bullet.

My take is ENTIRELY upon Backing up the Win7 x's64-bit Registry with a Single Clk. Apparently ERUNT can do this with out me having to take OWNERSHIP of the Entire Registry. I can't say I trust ERUNT YET!

If I can take OwnerShip of the entire Registry without selecting 1000+ Keys individually and assign to a 3rd Party Reg-Cleaner such as RegVac with it's Registry BackUp Option or WinRescue7 all the better. This is why 3rd Party Registry Apps aren't working on Win7 64-bit yet work on Win7 32-Bit - It might have something to do with Program Files x86.

Does any one know how to take Ownership of the Entire Registry without having to select each individual key? - I'm Working on it as I load.

I've DISABLE DEFENDER because it will interfere with some of the APP's I want to Load and can remove the offending modules manually rather then Defender doing it and disabling the App. Once I manually clear out something like "Time Sink" Defender will not render the App useless. In order to Disable Defender one has to take Ownership of the DEFENDER Registry Key.

I just don't want to have to fight over Registry Ownership although I'm am the Administrator and UAC Notices is Disabled. What a JOKE - LOL.

Not that I don't appreciate MS DEFENDER but you do have to Over-Ride it at times and I only ENABLE it once a Month for MS UpDates, to UpDate it, run a Scan along with McAfee Avert and MalwareBytes. Techinically I operate without any Anti-Virus Protection. Who Cares when you have a DOS GHO BackUp that is Executed using a WinME Boot Disc = DOS and more DOS.

Can anyone not think this is NOT a Technical Topic - I want a Short CUT to take Control of the Registry.

Focus on the Win7 64-Bit Registry - This is what this thread is all About.

----------------------------------------

UPDATE:

imagoon: Navigate to c: \ windows\system32\config
The registry hives are:

DEFAULT (.log1,.log2)
SAM (.log1,.log2)
SECURITY (.log1,.log2)
SOFTWARE (.log1,.log2)
SYSTEM (.log1,.log2)

Copy them to what ever media you prefer.

Recovery is just copying them back.

If you care about the USER hive then that is in c: \ users\%username%\ as
ntuser.dat (.log1,.log2)

No GUI required.

Love that one and Thank You for Reminding me.;o)

I doubt you can over-write the files in session because of Files in Use BUT can use Win98 SFC to Execute Replacing System Files on Reboot - GREAT IDEA - THANKS. DARN Right that will Work and HEY Thanks for all your input. We Just Hacked a Simple Win7 64-bit Registry BackUp and Recover ;o)

May be ERUNT does just that - Looking into it.

Here's an ERUNT INI:
[Creation]
"06/02/2013 11:49:37 PM"

[SystemRoot]
"C: \ Windows"

[Restore]
"MACHINE BCD00000000"
"BCD"
"D : \ Boot\BCD"

[Restore]
"MACHINE SYSTEM"
"SYSTEM"
"C: \ Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM"

[Restore]
"MACHINE SOFTWARE"
"SOFTWARE"
"C: \ Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE"

[Restore]
"USERS .DEFAULT"
"DEFAULT"
"C: \ Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT"

[Restore]
"MACHINE SECURITY"
"SECURITY"
"C: \ Windows\System32\config\SECURITY"

[Restore]
"MACHINE SAM"
"SAM"
"C: \ Windows\System32\config\SAM"

[Restore]
"USERS S-1-5-21-994087775-3923384866-3133364713-1000"
"Users\00000001\NTUSER.DAT"
"C: \ Users\SafeMode\NTUSER.DAT"

[Restore]
"USERS S-1-5-21-994087775-3923384866-3133364713-1000_Classes"
"Users\00000002\UsrClass.dat"
"C: \ Users\SafeMode\AppData\Local\MICROS~1\Windows\UsrC lass.dat"

Looks like ERUNT is a Verily Solid App and seems to work very similar to Win98 SFC. I can't Understand why RegVac and Rescue 7 which are Great Apps have problems with Win7 64-Bit Registry BackUps - Is it because they Compress ?

Of course My User Name is SafeMode and the Name of this Build is LOKI ;o)

Last edited by Z15CAM; 02-07-2013 at 03:49 AM.