Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default So I test drove a Ford C-Max...

The higher HP it has over the Prius comes out right away when driving it and interior is pretty nice but the inside feels like I am driving a minivan. Really liked the car and was all set to ask about making a deal but then I did a u-turn and found the car to just have a horrid turning radius. Now when I say bad I mean having to stop and back up on a 2 lane road bad. I did like that the C-Max had an automatic rear liftgate for the same price as the Prius Two but in the end I could not get over the turning radius so bought the Prius.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

Heh that is a funny thing to buy it over, but the Prius turning radius is about 3", it's kick-in-the-crotch crazy awesome for getting in and out of parking lots and what not.

I think we already had a thread on it but the mileage claims of the C-Max may be quite in-congruent with real-world anyway.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Demo24
Diamond Member
 
Demo24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 7,812
Default

I do admit one thing Toyota got right in the Prius is turning radius, car salesman had us to a complete 360 in a culdesac. Drone of the engine is really annoying though.
__________________
.........
Demo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Heh that is a funny thing to buy it over, but the Prius turning radius is about 3", it's kick-in-the-crotch crazy awesome for getting in and out of parking lots and what not.

I think we already had a thread on it but the mileage claims of the C-Max may be quite in-congruent with real-world anyway.
I live in SoCal so I find myself doing u-turns a lot so I couldn't get over the just stupid bad turning radius of the Ford. Also found the dash on the C-Max to have a lot of wasted space where it could give me some more information. The entire right side of the dash screen was just for a colored branch with a bunch of leaves that even after the car salesman explained what it did I still didn't get the point of it.

But so far I am really digging the Prius. Did 47mpg on my commute to work today so couldn't be happier. If I want to drive something with more oomph I will just take out my wife's 2012 Accord.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Scarpozzi
Lifer
 
Scarpozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 20,094
Default

I never could justify getting a prius because the cost of the car doesn't cancel out gas savings yet. Maybe when we go over $6/gallon, it'll be different. I just have a 4 mile commute and my wife has a 2.5 mile commute. If we weren't americans, we would be walking to work.
__________________
"Know your thoughts before you, we do, hhhmmmmm.........YES!" -Yoda Mod
Scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
KK
Lifer
 
KK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 15,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I live in SoCal so I find myself doing u-turns a lot so I couldn't get over the just stupid bad turning radius of the Ford. Also found the dash on the C-Max to have a lot of wasted space where it could give me some more information. The entire right side of the dash screen was just for a colored branch with a bunch of leaves that even after the car salesman explained what it did I still didn't get the point of it.

But so far I am really digging the Prius. Did 47mpg on my commute to work today so couldn't be happier. If I want to drive something with more oomph I will just take out my wife's 2012 Accord.
I'm about 4 monthes into owning a prius and I have no regrets. The only changes I've done to it so far has been disabling the retarded back up beeping INSIDE the car, disable the beeping for the seatbelt, and pulled the connector off the front noise making speaker. So far I'm sitting at about 47MPG over 20 fill ups.
__________________
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpozzi View Post
I never could justify getting a prius because the cost of the car doesn't cancel out gas savings yet. Maybe when we go over $6/gallon, it'll be different. I just have a 4 mile commute and my wife has a 2.5 mile commute. If we weren't americans, we would be walking to work.
I paid $22k for my Prius... How is that more expensive compared to most cars?

I am loving my Prius so far. Today I did 60.9MPG on my drive home from work with light to medium traffic on the highway.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK View Post
I'm about 4 monthes into owning a prius and I have no regrets. The only changes I've done to it so far has been disabling the retarded back up beeping INSIDE the car, disable the beeping for the seatbelt, and pulled the connector off the front noise making speaker. So far I'm sitting at about 47MPG over 20 fill ups.
I am taking my car back to dealer this weekend so they can get rid of the damn reverse beeping.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpozzi View Post
I never could justify getting a prius because the cost of the car doesn't cancel out gas savings yet. Maybe when we go over $6/gallon, it'll be different. I just have a 4 mile commute and my wife has a 2.5 mile commute. If we weren't americans, we would be walking to work.
That's really the fundamental flaw with hybrids. Takes to long to recoup the costs in fuel savings. Given the huge number of mid-sized SUVs taking over the local roads, the people who can afford hybrids are the ones who don't care about fuel economy.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
KK
Lifer
 
KK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 15,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I paid $22k for my Prius... How is that more expensive compared to most cars?

I am loving my Prius so far. Today I did 60.9MPG on my drive home from work with light to medium traffic on the highway.
you'll notice if you keep track of the mileage on fuelly.com or some other app that the 60.9 is more likely around 57.5-58, which is still pretty dang good.
__________________
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
KK
Lifer
 
KK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 15,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I am taking my car back to dealer this weekend so they can get rid of the damn reverse beeping.
My dealer wanted to charge me whenever I took it in 2 months after i bought it. they wanted over a hundred to do it. I said dont worry bout it, and bought the adapter to do it myself.
__________________
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK View Post
My dealer wanted to charge me whenever I took it in 2 months after i bought it. they wanted over a hundred to do it. I said dont worry bout it, and bought the adapter to do it myself.
Is it just standard OBDII adapter?
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
KK
Lifer
 
KK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 15,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Is it just standard OBDII adapter?
it was this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PYBZJO/
__________________
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Fmr12B
Diamond Member
 
Fmr12B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I paid $22k for my Prius... How is that more expensive compared to most cars?
Because you could have bought a comparable Corolla for $16K. That's $6K in cost + sales tax + higher registration fees that you will have to recoup.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
pauldun170
Golden Member
 
pauldun170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
Because you could have bought a comparable Corolla for $16K. That's $6K in cost + sales tax + higher registration fees that you will have to recoup.

Prius is a bigger car. More interior volume, more leg room in the back. Fold the rear seats down and you have a huge amount of cargo capacity.

Prius is in a different segment and it does not compare with a Corolla any more than a Mazda 3 compares with a Mazda 6.
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
Because you could have bought a comparable Corolla for $16K. That's $6K in cost + sales tax + higher registration fees that you will have to recoup.
Um a Prius is considered more of a mid size car when it comes to interior cargo room.

2013 Corolla
Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 12.3

2013 Prius
Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 21.6

They are not the same class of vehicle.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
JimKiler
Golden Member
 
JimKiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,963
Default

The original Mazda 6 had a horrible turning radius, but they fixed that a few years later. I do think a sharp turning radius is something to make sure all my vehicles have within reason.
__________________
"this is Jim Kiler step away from the window" -Robert Culp as Jim Kiler in Outrage.
JimKiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Fmr12B
Diamond Member
 
Fmr12B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Um a Prius is considered more of a mid size car when it comes to interior cargo room.

2013 Corolla
Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 12.3

2013 Prius
Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 21.6

They are not the same class of vehicle.


Oh C'mon now! You are talking about hatchback capacity not interior passenger volume. That's like comparing the cargo volume of a Hatchback Focus to a Sedan - 9cu/ft difference but the passenger seating volume is exactly the same. Hatchbacks are measured from the trunk floor to the roof/glass. Rarely this space is used, hence the roll up cargo cover.

A Camry is 4-inches wider than a Prius. A Corolla is 1-inch wider.

Corolla/Prius

Front Head Room 39"/39"
Rear Head Room 37"/38"
Front Shoulder 55"/55"
Rear Shoulder 55"/53"
Front Hip 53"/53"
Front Leg 42"/43"
Rear Leg 36"/36"

So CLEARLY the Corolla is the right car to compare a Prius against. The point is, a comparable Corolla LE is $5-6K cheaper and you have to recoup that cost in fuel. That is a massive amount of driving and will take forever to recoup the cost. Generally speaking, hybrids are horrible choices to save money.

Last edited by Fmr12B; 02-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
rommelrommel
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpozzi View Post
I never could justify getting a prius because the cost of the car doesn't cancel out gas savings yet. Maybe when we go over $6/gallon, it'll be different. I just have a 4 mile commute and my wife has a 2.5 mile commute. If we weren't americans, we would be walking to work.
With a 4 mile commute there is no way I would even think about fuel economy. I'd buy what I like.
rommelrommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
Oh C'mon now! You are talking about hatchback capacity not interior passenger volume. That's like comparing the cargo volume of a Hatchback Focus to a Sedan - 9cu/ft difference but the passenger seating volume is exactly the same. Hatchbacks are measured from the trunk floor to the roof/glass. Rarely this space is used, hence the roll up cargo cover.

A Camry is 4-inches wider than a Prius. A Corolla is 1-inch wider.

Corolla/Prius

Front Head Room 39"/39"
Rear Head Room 37"/38"
Front Shoulder 55"/55"
Rear Shoulder 55"/53"
Front Hip 53"/53"
Front Leg 42"/43"
Rear Leg 36"/36"

So CLEARLY the Corolla is the right car to compare a Prius against. The point is, a comparable Corolla LE is $5-6K cheaper and you have to recoup that cost in fuel. That is a massive amount of driving and will take forever to recoup the cost. Generally speaking, hybrids are horrible choices to save money.
Industry standard when determining in what segment a car belongs to is based on wheelbase and interior volume. A Prius has a wheelbase of 106.2 in vs 102.3 of a Corolla. That alone puts the Prius in the small midsize segment and once again interior cargo volume is much larger on the Prius.

The actual body size has no bearing on what segment it belongs to. Putting a wide body kit on a Civic does not put it in the same size segment as the Accord.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Fmr12B
Diamond Member
 
Fmr12B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Industry standard when determining in what segment a car belongs to is based on wheelbase and interior volume. A Prius has a wheelbase of 106.2 in vs 102.3 of a Corolla. That alone puts the Prius in the small midsize segment and once again interior cargo volume is much larger on the Prius.

The actual body size has no bearing on what segment it belongs to. Putting a wide body kit on a Civic does not put it in the same size segment as the Accord.
Wheelbase?

GTFO! Interior volume is what the EPA uses to rate cars by class and the Prius is a midsize because it's a hatchback. When you only include PASSENGER volume, its a compact!

From the EPA Website:
Prius - Passenger Volume 94cu/ft - Hatchback 22cu/ft http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33324.shtml
Corolla - Passenger Volume 92cu/ft - Trunk 12 cu/ft http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/32950.shtml
Camry - Passenger Volume 102cu/ft - Trunk 15cu/ft http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33372.shtml

And Guess Fuckin What!

The Mazda 3 is also rated as a Midsize! Holy Fuckin shit! Can you fuckin believe it - I mean, what the fuck is the EPA thinking rating it as a midsize as its wheelbase is WAY shorter than a Prius!
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/32984.shtml

How dense can you be? You have lost this argument!
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
KK
Lifer
 
KK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 15,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
How dense can you be? You have lost this argument!
Does it make you feel better to say that, you big alpha male. raaawwww...hear me roar, huh..
__________________
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Fmr12B
Diamond Member
 
Fmr12B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK View Post
Does it make you feel better to say that, you big alpha male. raaawwww...hear me roar, huh..
I only feel Alpha when I drive my M3.

I was polite the first few replies and attempted to educate him, did not work.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.