· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
fastamdman

Default Can't Decide.

Hey guys I am stuck on what motherboard to buy. I currently have a 2600k processor and I have a gtx 680 on the way from a member here I am wanting to overclock, *currently running a 4.5ghz oc* and I am wanting a good reliable lasting board that won't give me to many issues.

I know some boards can be picky with memory *my gigabyte ud3-z68xp was for sure* so this is the ram I will be using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231615

If someone can give me there opinions on things I would really appreciate it. I haven't kept up much on the z77 motherboards since I bought my z68 sandy bridge setup. Only reason I am switching is because a friend of mine REALLY needed an upgrade so hes buying my setup cheap and I am "upgrading" slightly lol.

I am thinking about the asrock extreme 4 or the asus p8z77-v LE since its 129.99.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
fastamdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
red454

What are your uses? Gaming?

I went with the ASUS Maximus Gene Z with a 2600K at the end of 2011 and upgraded to a Maximus V Formula and a 3770K. I didn't notice a huge difference. Just more bells and whistles. No problems at all with either system.

The boards you list are fine too of course...

ASUS Maximus V Formula| Core i7-3770K | Cooler Master Nepton 280L CPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Corsair Neutron GTX 240 & Force GT 120 GB SSDs | Corsair Air 540 | Corsair TX750M PSU | Seagate 3TB HDD | GTX670 | Win7 Ultimate
red454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
fastamdman

Guess I probably should have stated what I was going to use it for huh =P. I do A LOT of gaming. I also download a ton of stuff which means I do a lot of extracting of large .rar files. I transfer large files a lot also. I might get back into folding, if I can get a better overclock on this 2600k. Currently stuck at 4.5ghz and kinda hoping its the board and not the chip =P.

I've heard good things about that micro asus gene z board, but for some reason I don't want it. I don't know why, probably just because of it's size. And for the full atx board, I can't justify the price of it. Only way I could get the formula is if I got it used.

Grats on your new build though
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
rgallant
Golden Member

go for the MVF then great board ,if all the features suit your needs.
-look at the rog forum very few people are having any real issues ,BUT thats with ib not sure with sb.
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
rgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
fastamdman

As I said above I really can't justify the price of the asus maximus boards. From what I have read all of the z77 boards are pretty much the same.

Asus boards have a better bios, but asrock has a better price and they are about equal in overclocking capability. I think I am leaning towards the asrock extreme6 currently since it's cheaper then the extreme4....for some odd reason.

Can anyone explain why its cheaper then the 4?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Vectronic

Because it's basically the same as the Ext4... and they just released the Ext6/TB4... so for the moment they are trying to make the Ext6/TB4 look like the "gotta have" board.
Vectronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
fastamdman

Gotcha, well after reading a pretty big thread/review about the 4/6 asrock extreme boards I think I am going to go with the 6 since it's cheaper .

I will post up my results when the build is done!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastamdman View Post
Hey guys I am stuck on what motherboard to buy. I currently have a 2600k processor and I have a gtx 680 on the way from a member here I am wanting to overclock, *currently running a 4.5ghz oc* and I am wanting a good reliable lasting board that won't give me to many issues.

I know some boards can be picky with memory *my gigabyte ud3-z68xp was for sure* so this is the ram I will be using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231615

If someone can give me there opinions on things I would really appreciate it. I haven't kept up much on the z77 motherboards since I bought my z68 sandy bridge setup. Only reason I am switching is because a friend of mine REALLY needed an upgrade so hes buying my setup cheap and I am "upgrading" slightly lol.

I am thinking about the asrock extreme 4 or the asus p8z77-v LE since its 129.99.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Hey fastamdman, long time no see! Amaru is selling an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for $95 shipped in the FS/FT thread. I was so tempted to buy that board because I miss my old one. This is an excellent deal on a solid board. I am not certain if its still for sale but I would def throw him a PM to see.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280951