Lifer

i may end up owing this year, not good!
DaWhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
No, we would have to decrease the number of dependents listed or something. After all of our deductions our effective tax rate hovers between 0% and 2%.
401k and HSA are taken out PRE-TAX. If you put more in those, there will be less taxable income to tax so there would be less taken out.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Fenixgoon
Lifer

You gave uncle Sam an interest free loan! Better to get refund than to owe though. Ideal tax return is $0
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixgoon View Post
You gave uncle Sam an interest free loan! Better to get refund than to owe though. Ideal tax return is $0
True but at current interest rates, it matters little.

I looked at the money sweep on my IRA's yesterday and it was running at 0.01% for all levels of money from 0 to over $1,000,000.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixgoon View Post

I keep mine at the max owed without a penalty. In my opinion, that's ideal.
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowen674 View Post
What county are you in? They've been salting like crazy here at the edge of Cook and Kane.
I live in Dekalb county.

When i took my daughter into town for gymnastics (at 9) they had plowed but not salted. i just got back from picking her up and they had salted. the roads were clear.

well all but the 2 i live on lol they are nasty.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
Dirigible
Diamond Member

I dunno how I'd figure things out well enough to hit the zero refund or the "you owe but not enough for penalties" line. A large proportion of my income is bonuses and stock based so I don't know what that will be. Amt, income phaseouts of deductions, yadda yadda. It all seems way too complicated.

Been missing from my area for years.
Dirigible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
SandEagle
Lifer

going to owe 5k this year. i don't even have any to give them lol. do they accept credit cards as a form of payment?

OP, congrats on the money. buy a new tv.

Free Palestein
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #34
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigible View Post
I dunno how I'd figure things out well enough to hit the zero refund or the "you owe but not enough for penalties" line. A large proportion of my income is bonuses and stock based so I don't know what that will be. Amt, income phaseouts of deductions, yadda yadda. It all seems way too complicated.
Without predictably income and expenses, it would require constant revision quarterly and you still will not make out at zero range of any unexpected difference shows up in the last quarter.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Yes, it does.
I knew I was setting myself up for exactly that
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #36
Red Squirrel
Lifer

I can't wait to see how much I get back. First year of working shifts and having lot of variable pays. That tends to create good tax returns. Though I think there's still lot of variables and it could go the other way. I just hope I don't end up having to pay. That always sucks.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
dud
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendesert View Post
You're a dumbass.

You're close ... he's a double dumb-ass. Those that get refunds (unless you make almost no money) AND brag about it are fools. They forget that the "refund" is actually monies that they have overpaid, that were due them ... and are being refunded at 0% interest.

I'm sure that I will get some flack on this ... but how do you argue with a moron? I guess it's like wrestling a greased pig ...
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post
You're close ... he's a double dumb-ass. Those that get refunds (unless you make almost no money) AND brag about it are fools. They forget that the "refund" is actually monies that they have overpaid, that were due them ... and are being refunded at 0% interest.

I'm sure that I will get some flack on this ... but how do you argue with a moron? I guess it's like wrestling a greased pig ...
It's still better than having to dish out thousands of dollars that will be completely wasted instead of being used to buy something, thus stimulating the economy. Look at it as a savings plan.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
highland145
Lifer

Quote:

Actually, I should get about $30K back. I'll post a screenshot of the fed/state return deposits. My "problem" is that I started another business that was supposed to have ~$50K input before it started paying for itself, so I didn't stop my monthly deposits from my regular job. Didn't/hasn't worked out as planned and I've lost my ass (and then some) for 2012. I'm getting all of my deposits back and most likely EITC. Guess that makes me a different kind of dumb ass.

But, hey, 12 people have jobs that may not otherwise and I'm a "job creator." Thanks for your tax contributions to my EITC.
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Jeff7
Lifer

Don't know what I'll get back. Probably not too awfully much though. I think it was about $200 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
I've never understood that POV. According to statistics, most people are terrible are finances and would just spend whatever little extra would come in their paychecks every month anyway, so getting a mini-windfall every year seems like a way better option for the majority of Americans.

Plus it stimulates the economy because everyone goes out and buys giant flatscreen TV's
Imagine that you need to pay $1000 in rent every month. However, your landlord wants an extra $200/month, just because.
But, he'll then hand you back $2,400 every April, also just because.
Seems kind of odd, no?

In this particular case, it's not a terribly large sum of money, but that $1,200 could have been in your pocket, in your bank, or in investments, potentially earning interest. (Though with today's interest rates in safe savings and investment locations, that interest would probably buy you half of a postage stamp.)

But that's where it comes from. The government is withholding an extra amount of money from many taxpayers for a year. Theoretically, they could use that for their own investments, such as in infrastructure upgrades to the country. Realistically, they'll do what they're most effective at doing: Wasting it on corrupt and useless projects. Just because.

But yes, most people are indeed terrible with finances - including the majority of elected officials.
And when they get that tax refund, I'm sure many treat it like it is commonly viewed: Free money from the government. No, it's just your own money, which they so kindly held onto for a year.

Last edited by Jeff7; 02-02-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #41
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:

I'm not sure who the "morons" are in this thread. Certainly not the OP, since *OBVIOUSLY* the OP is just trolling. Ya'll just done been trolled.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #42
IronWing
Lifer

I tried the free fillable forms e-filing thing this year. Seems to have worked. I can't get too excited about the whole "loan to the government" thing when savings accounts are paying under 1% (Thank you Federal Reserve).
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #43
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
I tried the free fillable forms e-filing thing this year. Seems to have worked. I can't get too excited about the whole "loan to the government" thing when savings accounts are paying under 1% (Thank you Federal Reserve).
/this

most are paying roughly 1-3%. that is not a whole lot of interest on a few grand.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #44
Demo24
Diamond Member

No idea what I'll get back, hoping for 3k since I have a lot of stock write offs that have been piling up for a couple years. Probably get a couple hundred back from just working, so that's something at least. Gotta wait till brokerage firms send me the forms though, feb 14th..sigh.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #45
minendo
Administrator
Elite Member

As of right now I am getting back $1. Minimal free loan for the government from me.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #46
Squisher
Lifer

I'm just hoping I don't have to come up with $10K like I did last year. Also, mailing in estimated tax payments sucks too.
A couple of goofs.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #47
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
FREE MONEY just for filing my taxes. I LOVE THE USA.
Who else is getting FREE MONEY?
Actually, you have it backwards. You gave them free money over the course of the entire year and now they are giving the excess you paid back to you.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #48
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Actually, you have it backwards. You gave them free money over the course of the entire year and now they are giving the excess you paid back to you.
Ya'll got trolled.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #49
tboo
Diamond Member

Life is good right now. The government pays for my food, I live in sweet-ass subsidized housing, soon Ill have dirt cheap health insurance, and I even get a free phone with 250 min a month!. I barely work yet will be getting a nice return this year. Now if I can figure out a way to have the gov pay for my gas.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #50
preslove
Lifer

Everyone calling the op an idiot knows this is a troll thread, right?
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote