Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
LIN1B09

Default (Dead) 10 points/dollar site wide @ Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com) = 10% discount

Today only (Thursday, January 31) until 11:59 PST.

Use code 'welcome10x' at checkout. It's not necessary to be a new customer, I think the "welcome" bit is just because they just changed the site name from Buy.com to Rakuten.com.

You do need to have a Rakuten.com account, because the points are used against a future purchase.

Original ad here:
http://www.rakuten.com/loc/welcome-1...campaignbanner

Last edited by LIN1B09; 02-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
LIN1B09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
CPA
Elite Member

wow, didn't realize Buy.com changed.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
richardycc
Diamond Member

they went from an easy to remember and well known site name to rakutenawho? This one got failure written all over.

Press F1 to continue, or DEL to enter setup.
richardycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
TwiceOver
Lifer

Buy.com the domain name is probably worth more than buy.com the company.

I.T. Technician n. The only person under the boss' desk not looking for a raise.
TwiceOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
BenJeremy

Any word on outpost.com?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
DesiPower
Lifer

so you get it for your next purchase?

DesiPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardycc View Post
they went from an easy to remember and well known site name to rakutenawho? This one got failure written all over.
Agreed. They've been pushing their "Rakuten Points" [WTF?] silliness for a year, so 'guess the name change has long been in the works. THe only weakness of "Buy" would be the difficulty of creating brand recognition of a trivial verb.

'Seems a bit in the spirit someone tiring of "Smith" and changing their name to "Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm" [to borrow from Monty Python].
Socrates is said to have advised, "By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." ... There's the question of which came first: philosophizing or being ill-tempered. Would being married to a philosopher turn a woman into a shrew?[WotD - Anu Garg]
Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Basilisk

Japanese online retailer Rakuten to compete globally
Hiroshi Mikitani, the chairman and chief executive of the Japanese online retailer Rakuten, has said 2012 is the opening year of the company's "true globalisation."

He is on a mission to challenge the internet retailer Amazon and believes that global expansion means speaking English.

Two years ago Mr Mitikani made English the corporation's official language, insisting it is used at all meetings and in emails.

It's not a very informative interview (in above link), but you get a sense of the CEO's intent.

BTW: "Rakuten" appears to mean "Optimism"... which ya gotta have in spades to take on Amazon. 'Haven't sensed a competitive edge in Buy.com's past year's pricing, but Amazon's appeal will take a hit come July as it opens a NJ warehouse cum tax collection.
Socrates is said to have advised, "By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." ... There's the question of which came first: philosophizing or being ill-tempered. Would being married to a philosopher turn a woman into a shrew?[WotD - Anu Garg]
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

I stopped buying from Buy.com many years ago. My top 2 issues were:
- "In stock" did not really mean in stock -- the stock status was not reliable.
- Shipping of "in stock" items could sometimes take weeks even if an item was supposedly not back ordered.

Has anyone ordered from Rakuten / buy recently? How was the experience? (The deal's hotness depends somewhat on this.)
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
CPA
Elite Member

Not to hijack, but pretty decent monitor deal right on the frontpage.

free shipping
45 day return
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
Has anyone ordered from Rakuten / buy recently? How was the experience? (The deal's hotness depends somewhat on this.)
I buy one or two things a year from them and have had no problems for years. Way back when I had some long-forgotten problem with CS, but that was then.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
LIN1B09

DesiPower - Yeah, you apply the points towards a future purchase. The points take awhile to become available - I bought something today and in my "Super Points" page it says they'll be available February 15. Once available, you can just apply them against your checkout balance, at the rate of 1 cent per point, and your CC (or whatever method you use) is charged the reduced amount.
BUT, points don't last forever: I have some points for stuff I bought on and around Black Friday that expire at the end of July.

DaveSimmons - I suppose hotness is in the eye of the beholder, but I've always had good experiences with Buy.com. Shipping has always been reliable, at least in my experience. It's possible things have improved since Rakuten bought Buy.com a few years ago.
LIN1B09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
compman25
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
WMC v2
compman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
CPA
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman25 View Post
WMC v2
???
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
compman25
Diamond Member

Quote:
???
Wounded Monitor Children, buy.com screwed a ton of us way back when on a Hitachi monitor(I think that is what brand it was).
compman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
BoomerD
Lifer

This has been coming for a couple of years now...

http://www.rakuten.com/ct/aboutus.aspx

Quote:
Buy.com joined the Rakuten family in 2010, making the joint businesses combined into one of the world's largest online retail marketplaces. We offer consumers more than 90 million products from 38,500 merchants around the globe. Buy.com becoming Rakuten.com Shopping is the next step of that relationship as the Rakuten Group increasingly unifies its brand internationally. This transition will open up the Rakuten.com Shopping (formerly Buy.com) marketplace to customers globally, as well as introducing merchants and retailers from around the world to its North American customer base. Both its merchants and its consumers will benefit from this open, global market. We are excited at the possibilities to come, and we hope you continue to join us in our global growth.

Who is Rakuten?

Opening it's “doors” in 1997, Rakuten, Inc. has been a major force in bringing internet retail to the world. Rakuten is a company who inspires action and creates results in the world market through empowering everyday people in their business ventures. 'Empowerment” has been the key ideal reaching far beyond Japan. Rakuten seeks to empower merchants to deliver Omotenashi, a hospitality mindset, which helps sellers create lasting relationships with customers. Rakuten ranks among the top three e-commerce companies in the world with over 90,000 products from 38,500 shop owners. Among its numerous online properties, its flagship B2B2C (business-to-business-to-consumer) model e-commerce site Rakuten Ichiba is the largest e-commerce site in Japan and among the world's largest by sales.
What is Rakuten.com Shopping?

Formerly Buy.com, Rakuten.com Shopping (www.rakuten.com) will continue its mission to deliver an outstanding shopping experience to over 18 million customers and offering a broad selection of goods and merchants. Rakuten.com Shopping is a true marketplace which empowers retailers to build individual relationships and go the extra mile for their customers. As opposed to the vast majority of faceless, transactional e-commerce marketplaces which also sell directly to consumers, Rakuten.com Shopping is focused on building relationships with merchants and consumers, differentiating on experience and not price alone.

Rakuten.com Shopping's focus is on delivering more than just a transactional experience to consumers, instead making connections between merchants and buyers via its ‘discovery’ shopping, video content and reviews. Rakuten.com Shopping believes that ecommerce should be entertainment and fun for customers.

Rakuten.com Shopping offers its merchants the ability to customize their presence on the marketplace - the control of the brand is therefore given back to the merchant, allowing them to increase customer loyalty and build sales. The model provides three key elements for retailers looking to increase online sales - the system, the traffic, and the expertise. We empower our merchants to create a live, attractive and interactive web store while taking good care of the customer. Unlike competitors, it is a combination of technology and people. The approach is to aid its merchants to succeed rather than compete with them.

Rakuten.com Shopping is a true shopping market that differs from the vending machine model and ‘nameless, faceless’ offerings delivered by other online retail markets and strives to remind its valued customers that there are actual people behind the veil of buying online, emphasizing that consumers have a choice about who and where they buy from. Fundamentally, consumers should be able to buy from people, not the internet. This approach allows merchants to truly differentiate and succeed in an increasingly crowded online world.
The only good thing I can see from the change...is at least it's not a Chinese company...

I've bought from them a couple of times since they made the change in 2010. I haven't seen any difference.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Pardus
Banned

buy.com was a easy website to remember, rakuten.com is not. what a horrible move. buy.com had a terrible rating with the bbb and resellerratings. they prob did the name change to separate themselves.

i haven't bought anything from buy.com in years due to there miserable customer service and poor shipping methods. i'm sure nothing has changed except the domain name.

netflix tried to separate themselves with dvd rentals handled though Qwikster, that didn't work out.

even coke failed at new coke.

some never lean from history.

something tells me buy.com/rakuten will fade away soon enough.

deal is dead btw.

Last edited by Pardus; 02-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member

Agreed I can't possibly remember the name. Seriously I'm posting from a smart phone and just read the entire thread and realized that was what I thought junk mail inside my inbox was invites to this I've probably read the companies name 15 times and I am still incapable of spelling it or remembering it.
So lets review:
I can't remember the new name
Even if I could I wouldn't be able to communicate the word to a friend
Nobody seems to have an idea what these points are for & why we should want them
Goodbye buy.com.....
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Wyndru
Diamond Member

As of now buy.com still forwards to rakuten.com, I wonder if they will keep the domain rights and leave it that way. Their copyrights on the site still say buy.com inc. also.
Wyndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Fenixgoon
Lifer

i didn't even know they changed.

i got emails from rakuten.com and wondered wtf had sold my address out.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Rakewell
Platinum Member

Quote:
wow, didn't realize Buy.com changed.
This!
Rakewell is offline   Reply With Quote