· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Steelbom

Default 2012 27 inch iMac review coming from Anandtech?

Are they just busy or won't we be seeing one? I was looking forward to it. Don't suppose anyone knows?
Steelbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

It's best to ask Anand directly.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Atty
Golden Member

I have been waiting on one. I plan to purchase one soon and would like to see what they say. The Fusion drive review answered a few questions for me.
Atty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Pandamonium
Golden Member

I've been waiting for the thorough AT verdict as well. Please update the thread whenever you find out. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Tegeril
Platinum Member

I tweeted the question at Anand, I will report back if I hear anything
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Steelbom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
It's best to ask Anand directly.
Aside from tweeting... how would one ask him directly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I've been waiting for the thorough AT verdict as well. Please update the thread whenever you find out. Thanks!
Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post
I tweeted the question at Anand, I will report back if I hear anything
Sweet! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

His email address is in his articles.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
Spades45

sure hope so, i might be grabbing one or two of these beasts!
Spades45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
mmntech
Lifer

I'm sure Anand will review it, assuming he can find one. Apple is saying 3-4 weeks on their website.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Atty
Golden Member

He had a 27'' iMac he was using for the fusion drive tests, no? Surprised it has taken this long.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Steelbom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
His email address is in his articles.
Ah right! I've never really paid attention to that before.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Destiny
Platinum Member

Most likely if he had one for his Fusion Drive article, he probably has one for testing or play for months. Industry wise, he may be bound by NDA until Apple gives him the go ahead to post the review. Obviously he doesn't want to violate NDAs otherwise he won't be getting new toys to play with before launch dates! It also gives him more time for a more complete review or for Apple to resolve bugs.

Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Wreckem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
Most likely if he had one for his Fusion Drive article, he probably has one for testing or play for months. Industry wise, he may be bound by NDA until Apple gives him the go ahead to post the review. Obviously he doesn't want to violate NDAs otherwise he won't be getting new toys to play with before launch dates! It also gives him more time for a more complete review or for Apple to resolve bugs.
The problem with that theory is reviews for the iMac 27 started coming out in early December.
Wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Steelbom

Yes, maybe we just won't see one this time around. Or Anandtech could just be chockers atm.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Tequila

Look I love Apple but the 2012 iMac is bullshit. It has ZERO serviceability. Want to add more RAM? Oh sure take the whole fricken thing apart. Add a new drive? Same thing.

Their arrogance and obsession with THIN has lead them to the most unserviceable desktop ever. It's ridiculous and I hope they get the message that this has to stop. I'm hoping for poor sales and that Anand brings this point up because Apple needs to wake up.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Ice_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila View Post
Look I love Apple but the 2012 iMac is bullshit. It has ZERO serviceability. Want to add more RAM? Oh sure take the whole fricken thing apart. Add a new drive? Same thing.

Their arrogance and obsession with THIN has lead them to the most unserviceable desktop ever. It's ridiculous and I hope they get the message that this has to stop. I'm hoping for poor sales and that Anand brings this point up because Apple needs to wake up.
You can add RAM to the 27". I'm not even a fan of the 21.5" because of the minimal graphics. Hell, the only one that has decent graphics in my view is the top level 27" and that's with the CTO option.
Ice_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Tequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Dragon View Post
You can add RAM to the 27". I'm not even a fan of the 21.5" because of the minimal graphics. Hell, the only one that has decent graphics in my view is the top level 27" and that's with the CTO option.
Read my post. Yes you can add RAM but you have to take the whole fricken computer apart.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Tegeril
Platinum Member

Quote:

Why would they get poor sales? We're entering an era of computing where 8GB of RAM is common and most likely exactly what most people need. They're going to sell tons of these and the same people who complained about not being able to swap a GPU with older iMacs will continue to not buy iMacs and complain about not being able to upgrade the RAM further. Apple isn't losing those people as customers, they never were.

But also the 27" has easily upgradable RAM, and no, upgrading the RAM in the 27" does not require 'taking the whole computer apart.' You unplug it, open the RAM door, and swap out the RAM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Ice_Dragon

Quote:
Read my post. Yes you can add RAM but you have to take the whole fricken computer apart.
I am aware of that though who would want to do that? $1,299 gets you a 640M, $1,499 a 650M each with 512 MB. You would think the upper 21.5" with a CTO would offer 1 GB for $200 more or so.
Ice_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Tequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post
Why would they get poor sales? We're entering an era of computing where 8GB of RAM is common and most likely exactly what most people need. They're going to sell tons of these and the same people who complained about not being able to swap a GPU with older iMacs will continue to not buy iMacs and complain about not being able to upgrade the RAM further. Apple isn't losing those people as customers, they never were.

But also the 27" has easily upgradable RAM, and no, upgrading the RAM in the 27" does not require 'taking the whole computer apart.' You unplug it, open the RAM door, and swap out the RAM.
Sorry I got the 27" mixed up with the 21" iMac. Too much beer in my veins from watching Superbowl and posting to a bunch of threads

Still have to take it apart to replace the hard drive.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Sorry I got the 27" mixed up with the 21" iMac. Too much beer in my veins from watching Superbowl and posting to a bunch of threads

Still have to take it apart to replace the hard drive.
You're not wrong, but you're also not the target consumer for the device. The iMac has never really been all that tinker friendly, it's been their sort of commercial flagship desktop (in the sense that it is the one that is most obviously a Mac, easy to spot in commercials, TV shows and movies.) and as such needs to appeal to the widest swath of people.

It bugs me too that they removed the ability to upgrade the RAM on the 21" iMac. The sticks aren't soldered in, they just didn't put in the upgrade door. Hopefully the next rev will fix that problem (they've backtracked on stuff like that before).
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Atty
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Dragon View Post
Hell, the only one that has decent graphics in my view is the top level 27" and that's with the CTO option.
The stores carry a 27'' with the i7, 8GB, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 680MX 2GB (or whatever the highest tier is). They are rarely in stock but its the exact model I want to buy. I'm just waiting for the Anand review. Sigh.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
Tequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
You're not wrong, but you're also not the target consumer for the device. The iMac has never really been all that tinker friendly, it's been their sort of commercial flagship desktop (in the sense that it is the one that is most obviously a Mac, easy to spot in commercials, TV shows and movies.) and as such needs to appeal to the widest swath of people.

It bugs me too that they removed the ability to upgrade the RAM on the 21" iMac. The sticks aren't soldered in, they just didn't put in the upgrade door. Hopefully the next rev will fix that problem (they've backtracked on stuff like that before).
It's the trend that disturbs me. There's no need for an iMac to be thin as it is and trade that for near zero serviceability. Now we see it in the retina MBP with parts glued and soldered together. It's like they looked at the MBA and though "ooh we gotta make everything else that thin now!". The MBA is fine since it's for a specific market but laptops and desktops for serious work you should always be able to upgrade the hard drive and memory.

I complain because I care. If people don't speak up we'll end up with all macbooks and iMacs as thin as a piece of paper with all parts glued with absolutely no way to upgrade except buying a new one.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Atty
Golden Member

Quote:
It's the trend that disturbs me. There's no need for an iMac to be thin as it is and trade that for near zero serviceability. Now we see it in the retina MBP with parts glued and soldered together. It's like they looked at the MBA and though "ooh we gotta make everything else that thin now!". The MBA is fine since it's for a specific market but laptops and desktops for serious work you should always be able to upgrade the hard drive and memory.

I complain because I care. If people don't speak up we'll end up with all macbooks and iMacs as thin as a piece of paper with all parts glued with absolutely no way to upgrade except buying a new one.
Most Mac purchasers don't want to upgrade their own ram. They don't want to service their own machine. They buy them so that they never have to or if they needed anything, an Apple Store can do it for them.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
PeeluckyDuckee
Diamond Member

Taking apart the 2012 to reach the internals is scary, and I would not be willing to detach it and attempt to scrape off and reapply two sided tape to upgrade/replace existing hard disk.

I like the magnet approach on the 2011 iMac. Easy on, easy off.
PeeluckyDuckee is offline   Reply With Quote