· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #76
vshah
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Yeah, though note that this will terminate T-Mobile service to that SIM. So do it at the end of a cycle?
you can call tmobile after you port to gv and they'll assign a new number instead of terminating.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #77
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Wait, these can't text? And I thought text was called SMS not MMS? Then again I'm kinda far behind on this phone stuff. I don't really text all that much, but still too bad to hear if that's the case.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #78
cronos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Wait, these can't text? And I thought text was called SMS not MMS? Then again I'm kinda far behind on this phone stuff. I don't really text all that much, but still too bad to hear if that's the case.
You are way off.

1. These can definitely send and receive text.
2. These can also definitely send and receive MMS, which is basically attaching Multimedia (mostly images) to SMS.
3. What people have been talking in the past couple of posts is about using it with Google Voice, which doesn't officially support MMS, but does support SMS.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #79
kaerflog
Golden Member

Amazingly, the 8gb version was shipped today.
kaerflog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #80
cronos
Diamond Member

So everyone who has received/been shipped their Nexus 4 in a couple of days, are you in the US or Canada?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #81
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
You are way off.

2. These can also definitely send and receive MMS, which is basically attaching Multimedia (mostly images) to SMS.
3. What people have been talking in the past couple of posts is about using it with Google Voice, which doesn't officially support MMS, but does support SMS.
Ohhh ok, good to know then. I'm only going to have a voice plan anyway.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #82
RossMAN
Grand Nagus

Any rumors on when the new hotness Nexus 5 is coming?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #83
Skurge
Diamond Member

I just got my 16GB,

Is it normally this warm? Although my Lumia is also pretty warm as well cause it's 40 degrees here in the middle of the day.
Intel Core i5-4670K |MSI Z97-Gaming 5|32GB DDR3-1600|Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce CF [stock]|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Corsair 750D|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #84
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member

Quote:
So everyone who has received/been shipped their Nexus 4 in a couple of days, are you in the US or Canada?
Canada. Shipped next day.
Console: PS4
thebigbolgna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
I just got my 16GB,

Is it normally this warm? Although my Lumia is also pretty warm as well cause it's 40 degrees here in the middle of the day.
This phone gets hot. I noticed the heat when I was playing around with my friend's N4.

I don't think there will be supply issue going forward. Christmas season is over so demand is way down. Google and LG should have no problem meeting the reduced demand now. I think people can take their time and order at anytime and expect Google to have this phone in stock from now on. As much as I love the phone, I can't buy one given all the limitations and compromises. Sealed battery, lack of SD slot, no USB host OTG support, and no MHL to HDMI support are all major cons for me. MHL is extremely useful for hotel travelers now there's stable official XBMC Android support.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #86
magomago
Lifer

what is the best screen protector to order? I'm going to order the poetic bumper case, and still want to layer the front and back of the phone. There are quite a few options and I can't seem to sift marketing from actualy quality. Some are as low as 5 bucks, and others are as high at 13 bucks.

I just want the best fit, the best form and the best quality. This is going to sit forever on the phone, so might as well be decent. I want to avoid spending money on NON QUALITY though
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #87
EvilYoda
Lifer

I got mine yesterday as well, in the US (MI).
EvilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #88
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
This phone gets hot. I noticed the heat when I was playing around with my friend's N4.

I don't think there will be supply issue going forward. Christmas season is over so demand is way down. Google and LG should have no problem meeting the reduced demand now. I think people can take their time and order at anytime and expect Google to have this phone in stock from now on. As much as I love the phone, I can't buy one given all the limitations and compromises. Sealed battery, lack of SD slot, no USB host OTG support, and no MHL to HDMI support are all major cons for me. MHL is extremely useful for hotel travelers now there's stable official XBMC Android support.
The N4 supports SlimPort, which IMHO works much better than MHL because you can use it with or without the USB charger plugged in.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #89
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
Any rumors on when the new hotness Nexus 5 is coming?
Sometime between November and December.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #90
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigystyle84 View Post
Canada. Shipped next day.
What. Still awaiting any shipping info for my order
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #91
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
The N4 supports SlimPort, which IMHO works much better than MHL because you can use it with or without the USB charger plugged in.
Thanks for the info! Good to know. I only knew about Miracast support. SlimPort cables seem more expensive than MHL but that's probably because more devices support MHL. I could see myself buying N4 now.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #92
lopri
Elite Member

Happy w/ mine so far. Battery life is not as good as I hoped for - but I was hoping for a tablet-level battery life, hehe. Silly me. It is better than iPhone 4/4S, but that's really not a bragging point. Besides which my iPhone was 2 year old.

Having said that, I haven't managed to drain it yet since I got it. I charged it fully yesterday and have been using it to drain it completely. I am at 20% since then. It felt like going from 100% to 80% is much quicker than going from 40% to 20%, which is interesting and makes me wonder whether the system is reporting correct battery level. Or perhaps different CPU profiles are at work according to battery level.

It is definitely the fastest phone that I've had. The size feels just right and so slick that it feels like a premium device (which it is).

Edit: Here is how it went. I turned the navigation on to drain the battery at the end. 8% left.

Edit 2: Notice 65%~55% area where screen wasn't on. I was sleeping and eating and the phone wasn't used, but still ~1% of juice runs out every hour. WiFi tablets would show flat lines there.

Also, what does "Awake" mean? Can it not be awake when screen is on?

Last edited by lopri; 02-03-2013 at 11:25 AM.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #93
lopri
Elite Member

As I suspected, there is a hardware change from the first batch (for better or worse, I don't know):

This dude's phone is Rev 10 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFDlTzImYs (4:55~5:00)

Mine is Rev 11.

Last edited by lopri; 02-02-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #94
magomago
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
As I suspected, there is a hardware change from the first batch (for better or worse, I don't know):

This dude's phone is Rev 10 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFDlTzImYs (4:55~5:00)

Mine is Rev 11.

Form what I saw on Fandroid, Rev 12 is out there as well
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #95
bearxor
Diamond Member

Nexus 4 prices are dropping, as well. Used to see them for about $475 on CL, now I'm getting some 16GB's for $400, which is only about $10 more than if I ordered it myself.

Last edited by bearxor; 02-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.
bearxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #96
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominato3r View Post
What. Still awaiting any shipping info for my order
Same. My credit card did not even get charged yet.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #97
lopri
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
Nexus 4 prices are dropping, as well. Used to see them for about $475 on CL, now I'm getting some 16GB's for $400, which is only about $10 more than if I ordered it myself.
That's great to hear. That will make it easier for me to convert my family/friends from (mostly) iPhones and carrier contracts. There are several of them already bought Nexus 7 just because of live wallpapers, rofl.

Hopefully this phone will help busting bubbles in this whole "subsidized-and-affordable" mobile phone business model. Everyone should be able to pick a phone of choosing and simply swap their SIM cards and pay what they use, instead of being deceived and shackled to ridiculous contracts with incomprehensible monthly invoices.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #98
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are way off.

How do you get MMS to work? On my Nexus 4 with GV and T-Mobile, I've never been able to get MMS to work. I can send regular text messages, but if I attach a picture it never goes through.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #99
cronos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
How do you get MMS to work? On my Nexus 4 with GV and T-Mobile, I've never been able to get MMS to work. I can send regular text messages, but if I attach a picture it never goes through.
I said the phone supports MMS, but Google Voice doesn't.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #100
magomago
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
what is the best screen protector to order? I'm going to order the poetic bumper case, and still want to layer the front and back of the phone. There are quite a few options and I can't seem to sift marketing from actualy quality. Some are as low as 5 bucks, and others are as high at 13 bucks.

I just want the best fit, the best form and the best quality. This is going to sit forever on the phone, so might as well be decent. I want to avoid spending money on NON QUALITY though

Just an update - I ended up getting a Steinheil Nexus 4 case; the protector is explicitly a little bit smaller on the screen. It was that or a "BestSkinsEver" custom fitted size, but I took the former simply because I could get it direct from amazon.

The other skins, such as the Skinomi, seem to be awesome, but also seem to be impacted by bumper cases; I found a few other pieces of information with users who have experienced the same issue (bumper impacting the screen to create protector bubbles/lift), so I'm glad I did some research first.

Phone should arrive tomorrow, gear the day after :-) Gotta hope Tmobile doesn't charge me more than 1 dollar to get a new sim card....been using the same one for 10 years x_x