· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
funboy6942
Lifer

Lightbulb Ive got one for you and if you can get it working. UPDATED

I can get on wireless but hard wired is a different story and all messed up.

It used to go one line when I enabled and disabled my network card but it has quit letting me do this. It goes on one cord plugged in, enabled-Identifiying-network, but still get the yellow ! and red x between network and internet. On another cord it goes Enabled-network and still got the ! and red x between network and internet.

It happened out of the blue. One day I restarted my pc and have had this trouble since.

What I have done so far:

3 New modems, all different brands
2 New Switches
3 New different motherboards
2 New internet providers
Different nic card

I have to put in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on ALL my computers under DNS Server unless NONE of the computers will go online be it wireless or wired
Can swap out cords from the back of the switch or router and will work for about a week or so then right back at it. I get network but red x going to internet.

I tried also troubleshooting and it comes up it cant find anything wrong.

Now this has happened on 3 different motherboards, all with different built in network cards, different internet providers, and a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate 2 times.

If you can figure this out I will give you a whopping $5, Id give more but Im disabled and on SSI so funds are low. But this has been going on for about 8 months or so, and now I cant get on the internet wired at all, swapping out cords from either behind the switch or the modem, nothing makes it go back on line.

So if I am missing something by all means ask me and I will try my best to do what you ask of me.

TIA!

Last edited by funboy6942; 02-06-2013 at 07:56 AM.
funboy6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Sounds like either a software or a cable problem, those are the only two things you didn't mention changing.

Do you have any "security suite" software installed, something that includes a firewall or web filtering?

Speaking of which, do you have web filtering enabled in your router? You mentioned changing modems, what kind of internet service do you have, and do you have a separate router in addition to the modem, or is the modem also a router?

You mentioned switches, are you connecting a switch directly to the modem? If you have cable internet, and use a cablemodem, those are not routers, and will not help to share the internet. If you then connect a switch, and connect two internet client devices (PCs, DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc.), then the first one to request an IP address gets it from the cablemodem, and all other devices will be locked out of internet access, because they don't pull an IP.

Here's a question, when you connect wired, and get the red X, can you open a Command Prompt window, and type "IPCONFIG /ALL" ? Tell us what you get for an IPv4 address on that interface. If it starts with 169.x.x.x, then it is a link-local address, which means that your PC was not able to get an IP with DHCP. (Which could be related to using a switch on a modem, without a router.)

If it's a 192.168.x.x address, then you do have a router somewhere on your LAN. Try opening a Command Prompt and type "ping www.google.com".

Edit: I just looked at your picture. You appear to be pulling a valid IPv4 address from a router somewhere, since your IP is 192.168.1.106. However, you also appear to be pulling a valid IPv6 address from somewhere. That's rather surprising. Is your ISP IPv6 enabled? Most in the US are not. Your router? Some are, some aren't. Anyways, it is possible that Windows 7 is using your IPv6 connection rather than your IPv4 connection by default, and not connecting properly to the internet.

Try going into your network stack, and disabling IPv6 protocol. (Note that homegroups depend on IPv6, and will not work if you disable that protocol. However, it may help your regular internet connection to work again.)
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 01-31-2013 at 08:45 AM.
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
funboy6942
Lifer

Shits and giggles I installed the driver for the nic card, AGAIN, and its working again. Go figure. LYK once it quits again though.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
VirtualLarry
Lifer

What's your configuration of modem, router, and switch? How are they connected?

If you have cable internet, then the coax should be connected to the modem, the ethernet port on the modem should be connected to the "WAN" or "internet" port on the router, and then the switch should be connected to a LAN port on the router.

If you have the switch connected to the modem, and then the router connected to the switch, then you're doing it wrong, and might expect to see some of the issues that you are having.

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 01-31-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
funboy6942
Lifer

See Ive got it hooked up right, and it was working fine for 7+ years since I moved here, then one day, BAM, no internet, on ANY of my computers. My and my wifes laptops, mine and my sons desktops. Unless I put in the dns manually on ALL of them, then they worked. Now all but mine work. I have to disable and enable my network adapter then sometimes it would go back on for a few weeks. I would switch out cable positions on the switch leading to my pc and it would work for a few weeks. I would hook it directly to my modem which has a built in router, both cable and dsl, and again it would work for a few weeks.

But now up till a few hours ago it didnt matter which cable I used, be it from my modem or off the switch, it just wouldnt connect and disabling and enabling didnt do shit. But for giggles I downloaded the driver again for my network card and as soon as it was done installing my yellow ! went away along with the red x and now, yet again, I am back on line, but for how long??

But I did nothing different. I just restarted my and my families computers and NONE would go on line. I called Time warraner, at the time, and they told me to manually put in the dns and it worked, and all but mine is still working but mine I have to keep doing crap to it to get it to go on the internet.

So what you make out of that?

Last edited by funboy6942; 01-31-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
owensdj
Golden Member

One of the computers might be causing a "broadcast storm" that's preventing the router from working. Try a least a few of them one at a time. Make sure all of the others are not connected to the network. Physically unplug the ethernet cable from them.
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 | Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB | Asus 24x DVD Burner | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 Case | Windows 7 Pro
owensdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
funboy6942
Lifer

Ah, but only my youngest is wired like mine is, and I had it unplugged and on wireless and I was still having the problem.

I had his on wireless because his wouldnt go online wired, so I used my wireless adapter and got him on line, then 2 days ago I decided to try his hard wire for the hell of it and it came back on. Only time his computer gave any trouble like mine.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
owensdj
Golden Member

Have you tried a different router? That seems to be the only thing you haven't tried swapping out. It wasn't clear from your 1st post if you have a modem and a router or a modem with a built-in router.
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 | Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB | Asus 24x DVD Burner | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 Case | Windows 7 Pro
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
funboy6942
Lifer

Modem with a built in 4 port router and its been changed out 3 times. Twice with Time Warner, 2nd one was brand new, and now I got a brand new one with AT&T.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Probably a silly question, but is your wireless network secured? I would turn off IPv6 on all the network adapters, just to be sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
funboy6942
Lifer

I got into the new modem today and turned it off. And yes it is secure
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
VirtualLarry
Lifer

I would still try disabling IPv6. Unless you are using HomeGroups, then it can't really hurt. (Well, until the whole world moves to IPv6.)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
funboy6942
Lifer

But I disabled IPv6 through the modem so it should be ok, right?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
funboy6942
Lifer

Well as I thought, Im back to having trouble. Im off the internet hard wired but can go wireless. I tried to reinstall the driver like I did yesterday, but it didnt work. I knew I should of left my pc on all night

Can anyone, anyone, help me figure this out? No other computer is on but mine. It was working just fine after I did the driver install, but now that wont take and Im back to having the yellow ! and red x telling me I gots no internets. Wireless works fine but its too slow for some of the movies off my NAS box. If that wasnt the case Id leave it on wireless all the time and be done with this crap

Last edited by funboy6942; 02-01-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
funboy6942
Lifer

Oh this is such bs. OK I uninstalled the lan driver and reinstalled it and guess what, Im back on line. What the holy f is going on????
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
owensdj
Golden Member

Make sure the ethernet port on your wired connection is set to auto-configuration. Try a new/different ethernet cable. What are the speeds on your switch? 100Mbit or 1Gbit?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
ch33zw1z
Lifer

I haven't seen this mentioned, but try a Linux Live disc like Ubuntu or Fedora. See if the problem happens in Linux, if so...then you have a hardware problem.

ch33zw1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
funboy6942
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensdj View Post
Make sure the ethernet port on your wired connection is set to auto-configuration. Try a new/different ethernet cable. What are the speeds on your switch? 100Mbit or 1Gbit?
1gbit on the switch. As mentioned I have tried different cables, they worked for a week or so then the problem comes back.

As for a hardware problem. I have tried 3 different motherboards, 3 different modems, 2 cable, one dls, and tired 3 different cables.

This problem is not just with my computer either. If I do not put in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the DNS under IPv4 NONE of my computers wired or wireless will get on the internet. Mine is the only one out of the bunch I got to keep screwing with now and again though to get it to go on line and not give me the yellow ! and red x going towards internet and I sure would like to know why the its doing this to me. Its a real PITA.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy6942 View Post
As for a hardware problem. I have tried 3 different motherboards, 3 different modems, 2 cable, one dls, and tired 3 different cables.
I don't see you mentioning different routers in that list.
Quote:
This problem is not just with my computer either. If I do not put in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the DNS under IPv4 NONE of my computers wired or wireless will get on the internet.
That would seem to indicate a DNS problem, but that could also indicate a DHCP problem.

That you have connectivity for a while, and then lose it, it could be a failure to re-acquire a DHCP IP lease from the router.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
funboy6942
Lifer

Well it was working fine up till a few minutes ago, now Im again booted off the wired connection and only wireless will work. And this time I didnt have to restart my computer for it to do this.

And I didnt mention any different routers because they are built into the modems.

Last edited by funboy6942; 02-01-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
owensdj
Golden Member

You could be having problems because your switch and wired ethernet ports are both gigabit but your network cables either aren't rated for gigabit speeds or they're getting some interference. Try a quality Cat 6 cable to be sure the cable can handle gigabit. Also check to see if the cable runs near any source of electromagnetic interference.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
funboy6942
Lifer

Like ive mentioned several times, this happened out of the blue one day. We turned on our computers and none would go on line with out the DNS code put in, then mine needs to be disabled, then enabled, or I have to uninstall the driver for the nic card and re install it and it will then go on line. Ive changed everything I can think of. No magnetic stuff around the ALL cat 6 cables bought from monoprice.com.

It was just like the flip of the switch and has not quit since. Like now. Im back on wired but I had to uninstall my card and reinstall the drivers to get it to work. A total PITA. disabling and enabling, and changing switch/router/modem ports dont work anymore. I have to uninstall it then reinstall it to get it to work, but then I did that this morning and only lasted a few hours. I had to re do it again a few hours ago. So far Im still online, but Im sure it will go back out at any time.

I do appreciate the questions, and stuff, keep them coming, but by the looks of it I must have done all I can do and for some reason its fubar no matter what I do.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy6942 View Post
I do appreciate the questions, and stuff, keep them coming, but by the looks of it I must have done all I can do and for some reason its fubar no matter what I do.
I really don't see where you have tried some of our suggestions, only that you keep trying your own thing, and reporting it working, then not working, etc.

Can you at least try disabling IPv6 on the client end? Try a new CAT5e cable? Check the router for web filtering and logging, and disable those? (If logging is enabled on the router, sometimes it eats up available RAM, and then you can't connect.)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
funboy6942
Lifer

I have already tried different cables, I did mention that I did when swapping out from the back of the switch and the back of the modem/router.

I am using nothing but cat 6 cables for everything else like sat box, my computer, my sons computer.

Made sure no other wired or wireless computers were on to test for feedback.

Ive mentioned this happened out of the blue, one day it just quit working.

I have tried 3 different router/modems with same results.

My modems wireless connection is secure.

I have changed from cable to DSL with still having the same results. I still need to put in the DNS manually or NONE of the computers will go on line, wired or wireless.

I have gone through 3 different motherboards with different nic cards built in and still having the same trouble.

I have gone through 3 different switches. One a 10/100 and 2 that were 10/100/1000.

I disabled IPv6 directly in the modem/router. I tried to do it at my pc but it doesnt give the option to disable it.

I mention whats working as a patch because thats all that works to make it work for a bit. Nothing else that has been asked of me, if I havent already done it, doesnt have any effect at all.

And I cannot stress enough that for 7 years, with the same equipment and computer configuration, it was working just fine, no troubles at all, then all of a sudden we got trouble on all computers wired or wireless unless I put in the DNS code of googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then all computers wired and wireless would go back on the internet but mine, I have to mess with all the time to keep it on like when hooked to a cable. Thats what Im asking of you all to look over what I have done/changed, and still get the same results other then some quick patches that sometimes works.

Last edited by funboy6942; 02-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Gotta start with the basics.

What Modem are you currently using?

What Router are you currently using?

Get the models and post them. Then we can have you reset everything one step at a time, and have just the problem computer plugged in. And I would seriously still go with a Linux Live distribution to test with.

When it gets to this point, minimum config is painstaking but effective.

ch33zw1z is offline   Reply With Quote