Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,914
Default Trunk organizers

What do you use?

My requirements are that is must be able to hold a gallon of milk and a watermelon while doing ken block-style drifts.

All of the folding ones I've tried are total junk. They don't stay upright, they don't fold up well, and if you put anything top heavy in them they go flying.

Currently the best thing I've found are long/wide but short rubbermaid bins. I stack them all together when not in use. It's somewhat functional, but I would really like something that folds mostly away for more space when needed.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,217
Default

I drove an '08 Avenger for a while (awful car! reliable, but soooo bland and boring), it had a factory option trunk organizer. It was the best one I have ever seen. It hooked in to the trunk so it didn't move, it was fold down, and the compartments were bungee netting. That thing was amazing. That's the only part of the car that I miss.

Found a random internet picture.

Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
satyajitmenon
Golden Member
 
satyajitmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
I drove an '08 Avenger for a while (awful car! reliable, but soooo bland and boring), it had a factory option trunk organizer. It was the best one I have ever seen. It hooked in to the trunk so it didn't move, it was fold down, and the compartments were bungee netting. That thing was amazing. That's the only part of the car that I miss.

Found a random internet picture.

That looks pretty well designed.

I just stick the groceries in the passenger seat... makes it more fun when things fly around the car hitting me in the head when I take quick turns.

Also why I wear a Helmet when I drive to go get groceries.
__________________
They see me trollin', they hatin'
satyajitmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyajitmenon View Post
That looks pretty well designed.

I just stick the groceries in the passenger seat... makes it more fun when things fly around the car hitting me in the head when I take quick turns.

Also why I wear a Helmet when I drive to go get groceries.

It was. You had to lift the back a full 3/4" or so to get it to disengage and let you lower it flat, so it was sturdy. My groceries haven't made it home in such pristine condition since...
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
ScoobMaster
Platinum Member
 
ScoobMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Endicott, NY
Posts: 2,495
Default

I like the Nifty Cargo-Logic Cargo-Loks

http://www.amazon.com/Nifty-700100-C.../dp/B0009FUEJI

A set came with my Kia Borrego. They are so much better than any rigid container organizer since they are as configurable as lego when it comes to how you want them laid out to hold items.
__________________
“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
– Thomas Jefferson
ScoobMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
vshah
Lifer
 
vshah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 18,737
Default

i got a wooden wine crate, about 15"x24"x8" nailed some velcro to the bottom of it. it stays put wherever I put it in the trunk, and the sides are tall enough to prevent anything tipping over.

it is a bit heavy though. probably 20 pounds.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 || Asus P6T Deluxe V2 || Noctua NH-U12P|| 12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 670 || Intel x-25m 80gb || 1TB Caviar Black || Antec 902 ||Antec 550w
HEAT
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
vshah
Lifer
 
vshah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 18,737
Default

sometimes i'll just buckle the shopping bag in in the rear seat. get weird looks in the grocery store parking lot sometimes
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 || Asus P6T Deluxe V2 || Noctua NH-U12P|| 12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 670 || Intel x-25m 80gb || 1TB Caviar Black || Antec 902 ||Antec 550w
HEAT
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
MDE
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,148
Default

My Jetta came with VW's velcro-block-things and it actually works really well.

http://www.drivergear.vw.com/vw10/SK...F3C561166H.asp

EDIT: Pretty similar to what Scoob posted earlier.
__________________
Take a bag of Doritos
Pound it with your fist a few times
Stick a label on the outside saying "now 50% more chips inside!!"
Tada, you've got a Celeron!
-mechBgon
MDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDE View Post
My Jetta came with VW's velcro-block-things and it actually works really well.

http://www.drivergear.vw.com/vw10/SK...F3C561166H.asp

EDIT: Pretty similar to what Scoob posted earlier.
Oh, so that's what he posted. I seriously could not tell what the product actually was...worst Amazon product pics ever.

I might have to get me some of those.

What is Amazon selling for 20 bucks? Is it eight pieces (four 'corners')?
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,510
Default

I found this weird, little thing in my Nissan's glove box, and I assume it goes in my trunk. However, it's awfully small to do so. The biggest problem is when I have two liter bottles of soda in my trunk, as they end up going every which where! I have to pretty much be driving Miss Daisy for them to not roll around even if they're nestled in a corner.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
I found this weird, little thing in my Nissan's glove box, and I assume it goes in my trunk. However, it's awfully small to do so. The biggest problem is when I have two liter bottles of soda in my trunk, as they end up going every which where! I have to pretty much be driving Miss Daisy for them to not roll around even if they're nestled in a corner.
Nissans usually come with a little net for the rear of the trunk. Look for some little plastic hooks around the trunk opening.
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
Nissans usually come with a little net for the rear of the trunk. Look for some little plastic hooks around the trunk opening.
I could easily get three out of four of the parts on some sort of hook, but there was never anything good enough for the fourth.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member
 
DominionSeraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Equestria
Posts: 8,111
Default

I use a big MDF box. It organizes my trunk as 80% subs, 20% everything else.
__________________
Danse De Raven

"P&N: Not Quite as Bad as Stormfront"
DominionSeraph is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.