· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
poison.apple

Default first post, my build

Hey guys, this is my first post this site has been very helpful with my build which has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. See below and let me know what you think. I could use some suggestions on the software to be able to have more sources of streaming media.

Hardware:
ASRock H77PRO-4 M
i3-3220T 2.80ghz
intel 330 series sata III 120gig SSD
kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
asus DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD-RW Drive
corsair cx430 PSU
aerocool gaming case
logitech k400 wireless keyboard

Software:
windows 8 pro with windows media centre
XBMC 12 Frodo
Netflix app
poison.apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
LoveMachine

If you use a remote control (e.g. Harmony), this site has some good plugins for WMC that allow you to get into XBMC/HuluPlus-Desktop without using a mouse. Good for couch surfin'. Be sure to use the download link in the middle of the page, not the big button on top (spam). I'm still on Win7, so no idea on any apps for streaming beyond Netflix. Many still require direct access to the website through a browser.

Oh, and not to poop too much on your build (which overall looks great), but the T series processors are generally not needed. The new i3s don't generate too much heat and even a lowly 150W PS will run the full clock versions. For your next build...
HIS iSilence fanless 7750 13.6 / SeaSonic Fanless 460Watt Gold
Fractal Designs Arc Midi / LG BluRay burner / Win7 Home 64bit

Last edited by LoveMachine; 01-31-2013 at 07:44 PM.
LoveMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
el aye

Are you super particular about getting the 3220T (I presume because it is 35w vs 55w)? I plan on going with the 3225 for the HD4000 graphics because it supports 3D bluray.
el aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
assassin24
HTPC Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by el aye View Post
Are you super particular about getting the 3220T (I presume because it is 35w vs 55w)? I plan on going with the 3225 for the HD4000 graphics because it supports 3D bluray.
All the i3 CPUs support 3D bluray.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65694/...Cache-2_80-GHz

The low wattage "T" is going to run about the same as the "non-T" version in real life scenarios. I would use the regular "non-T" version unless you needed the low profile cooler that comes with the "T" version which is actually quite good for a stock cooler.
assassin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
coolkish

In case you want bluray playback- recommend BDROM/DVD-RW instead.

Since you are using m-atx Mobo, maybe you can opt for a smaller case as well?
coolkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
el aye

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin24 View Post
All the i3 CPUs support 3D bluray.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65694/...Cache-2_80-GHz

The low wattage "T" is going to run about the same as the "non-T" version in real life scenarios. I would use the regular "non-T" version unless you needed the low profile cooler that comes with the "T" version which is actually quite good for a stock cooler.
I certainly am corrected, thank you for that. I could've sworn when I was looking on intel's site over the past month that the i3-3225 was the only i3 to support 3D.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
poison.apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkish View Post
In case you want bluray playback- recommend BDROM/DVD-RW instead.

Since you are using m-atx Mobo, maybe you can opt for a smaller case as well?
I used this case because I thought it had a unique look to it, its not quite that big.

I originally did not want to put an optical drive but I got the asus at an amazing deal of 10$ and it turns out it was quite helpful with the OS installation when my usb stick wasn't co-operating. while a Blu-ray player would be nice, I just wouldn't use it enough.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
poison.apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMachine View Post
If you use a remote control (e.g. Harmony), this site has some good plugins for WMC that allow you to get into XBMC/HuluPlus-Desktop without using a mouse. Good for couch surfin'. Be sure to use the download link in the middle of the page, not the big button on top (spam). I'm still on Win7, so no idea on any apps for streaming beyond Netflix. Many still require direct access to the website through a browser.

Oh, and not to poop too much on your build (which overall looks great), but the T series processors are generally not needed. The new i3s don't generate too much heat and even a lowly 150W PS will run the full clock versions. For your next build...
My k400r keyboard is actually quite nice and does the job well. My question is that is there even a fully compatible remote out there made for windows 8 that can control the metro menu, apps and xbmc? The remotes I've seen so far are only for Windows 7.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
LoveMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison.apple View Post
My k400r keyboard is actually quite nice and does the job well. My question is that is there even a fully compatible remote out there made for windows 8 that can control the metro menu, apps and xbmc? The remotes I've seen so far are only for Windows 7.
No idear. But that really would be nice, and seems like a natural extension of metro. I'd think it would be an easy port write some code to make a Win7 remote functional in metro.
HIS iSilence fanless 7750 13.6 / SeaSonic Fanless 460Watt Gold
Fractal Designs Arc Midi / LG BluRay burner / Win7 Home 64bit
LoveMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
el aye

Quote:
I recently discovered that my harmony remote (acting as a media center remote) allows me to use the D-pad to move around the metro menu and select programs with the OK button. It has a "Start" button that normally starts media center, I suppose you could probably modify this in windows somehow.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
poison.apple

My picture is grainy on my Samsung hdtv, would getting a video card help with this or is it the TV? Can someone please suggest some good compatible video cards preferably under $130ish?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Murloc
Diamond Member

make sure to set the same resolution as the max resolution allowed by the TV, maybe it's down/up-scaling stuff and that's why it sucks. If it's not this I don't know what it could be. I remember that using a wii on a full hd tv just makes you want to tear your eyes out.
Murloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Charlie98
Diamond Member

Quote:
My picture is grainy on my Samsung hdtv, would getting a video card help with this or is it the TV? Can someone please suggest some good compatible video cards preferably under $130ish?
I had some resolution issues with my G620-powered HTPC... it all boiled down to settings... and conflicting settings with the TV vs the computer. Your i3 is plenty powerful, as is the IGPU...

What type of playback are you having problems with... streaming, DVD playback...?
Charlie98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
poison.apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
I had some resolution issues with my G620-powered HTPC... it all boiled down to settings... and conflicting settings with the TV vs the computer. Your i3 is plenty powerful, as is the IGPU...

What type of playback are you having problems with... streaming, DVD playback...?
My main concern is that Windows 8 OS looks a bit pixelated and grainy, a lot of my digital movies show those fuzzy waves but it could be just the file quality but I'm not sure. I'm using the recommended resolution with no stretching from the TV. I just want it to look clear and crisp just like it was hooked into a normal pc monitor.