· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Tom
Lifer

Default Buying a used PS3 now ?

I'm toying with buying a used PS3 for around $130. I'm thinking I could use it to play the exclusives and as longas it doesn't break I can sell it in the future for at least $100.

Good idea ? How reliable are 3 year old PS3s ?

I'm aware of the Uncharted games and Valkrie. Including those what are the best exclusives ?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
cbrunny

I don't know if the price point is right at $130, but if you're into video games a PS3 will take you a long way.

I've had mine since 2009, and its still going strong. No issues. Just don't swap the hard drive to a 7200 rpm. They overheat. I had an SSD in mine for about a year. There is a difference, but its not large enough for the money. The nice thing about the SSD though is no heat, which means no noise from fans and little risk to the system.

I didn't get into Uncharted or Valkrie. Currently playing Demon's Souls (not exclusive? not sure..) and Ni No Kuni. Both are great.

Just be aware that as soon as the PS4 is announced, which may be in as little as 6 months depending on the rumours you believe, your PS3 becomes basically worthless in terms of resale.
cbrunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
MetalMat
Diamond Member

Is it the slim model with all the cables and a controller? If so that is a pretty good deal.

As far as exclusives it depends on what kind of games you like, I only really use mine for sports games, rocksmith and a media center nowadays but I enjoyed the God of War series and Metal Gear Solid 4. I heard the Infamous games (is that an exclusive?) are pretty good.

Congrats to the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns, the 2012 New Orleans Bowl champs!
MetalMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
MrWizzard
Platinum Member

I have 2 launch 60GB PS3s, never had a problem with them. I think it depends on how the person took care of it, how much dust buildup it has inside. PS3 is a great system.

Yes I have x360s too have gone through 7 of them, yay RROD. Good system too, just has some build quality issues.
MrWizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Fallen Kell
Diamond Member

I've had my PS3 fat since about 8 months after initial release and have so far, had very little issue. A year or 3 ago I took it completely apart and completely dusted it out, as well as replaced all the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Every year or so I also open it up and give it a quick dusting. As long as people did that, they are pretty solid piece of hardware (unlike the Xbox360 which I have officially given up on after RRoD upon RRoD upon RRoD).
Fallen Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
cbrunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMat View Post
Is it the slim model with all the cables and a controller?
Is there a difference between the slim and the fat other than size?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
American Gunner
Platinum Member

If you aren't going to be in a hurry to get the next gen consoles, then I say it's a good deal. You will have plenty of great games to play, and you can always use it as a blu-ray player too.
American Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
drbrock

I would wait until E3 to buy one. I bet they will become stupid cheap. I sold mine recently and used the money to upgrade my PC. I am not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination but there is a huge difference in the looks of the games currently. And they are much cheaper. Only thing that stinks is no Halo, Uncharted, or Ni No Kuni.

At 130 I think the price is a bit high espcially with the impending PS4 coming out. I would say sub 100 is a reasonable deal. As a media center it is not that powerful if you torrent your stuff. Great blu ray player though.
drbrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
MrWizzard
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunny View Post
Is there a difference between the slim and the fat other than size?
Yes, the original fat ones had full hardware ps1 and ps2 backwards compatibility amongst other things.
MrWizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Gillbot
Lifer

i grabbed an original launch 20gb and it's still rockin for me. Best $ i've spent so far.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Drako
Diamond Member

Get a slim unless you need PS2 BC.

My launch 60GB has gone through two BD replacements, it's a lot louder than my Slim, and uses almost 3 times the power.
Drako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
exdeath
Lifer

Just picked up a 320GB Uncharted 3 bundle to make sure I have a CIB/NIB "slim 1" model since they are discontinued and old stock.
exdeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrock View Post
I would wait until E3 to buy one. I bet they will become stupid cheap. I sold mine recently and used the money to upgrade my PC. I am not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination but there is a huge difference in the looks of the games currently. And they are much cheaper. Only thing that stinks is no Halo, Uncharted, or Ni No Kuni.

At 130 I think the price is a bit high espcially with the impending PS4 coming out. I would say sub 100 is a reasonable deal. As a media center it is not that powerful if you torrent your stuff. Great blu ray player though.
Ni no Kuni .... I'm in love with this game right now, OMG its so beautiful, and not just graphics.

Don't remember an RPG this pure and honest since SNES/PS1 (and PS2 if you include Xenosaga and Kingdom Hearts).
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
purbeast0
Lifer

it really is a simple concept. if there are games you want to play now that are on ps3 or you want to use it to watch blurays, then buy it. if there aren't any, then don't buy it.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Tom
Lifer

My thinking was that a working PS3 will be worth around $100 for a long time to come, so paying $130 now would mean it would cost about $30 to have one for a while.

So some of you think in a few months everybody is going to sell their PS3 for less than a $100 ?

The PS4 is expected to be so unbelievably awesomer that it will make PS3s worthless ?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
cob77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell View Post
I've had my PS3 fat since about 8 months after initial release and have so far, had very little issue. A year or 3 ago I took it completely apart and completely dusted it out, as well as replaced all the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Every year or so I also open it up and give it a quick dusting. As long as people did that, they are pretty solid piece of hardware (unlike the Xbox360 which I have officially given up on after RRoD upon RRoD upon RRoD).
People say that a lot but I have bought and sold 5 360s over the years and never had 1 break. I also don't have any friends that have had their 360 die on them. It makes me think that the RROD issue was heavily exaggerated by Sony fan boys and girls.
cob77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
cbrunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
My thinking was that a working PS3 will be worth around $100 for a long time to come, so paying $130 now would mean it would cost about $30 to have one for a while.

So some of you think in a few months everybody is going to sell their PS3 for less than a $100 ?

The PS4 is expected to be so unbelievably awesomer that it will make PS3s worthless ?
I don't think it matters how much better the ps4 is than the ps3. The reality is that, even if the difference is miniscule, there will be games that are for ps4 and not the ps3 - that is where the money will be sunk from a developer perspective. No new games for ps3 (or far fewer) = little consumer interest.

"Worthless" is a bit extreme. But worth significantly less is what I would expect.

If my PS3 bit the dust right now (knock on wood) I would be willing to pay about $100 for a used one, but once the ps4 is announced (or even substantial enough rumours that it will be announced soon) I'd be looking for ~$75. Less the closer it gets to ps4 launch.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob77 View Post
People say that a lot but I have bought and sold 5 360s over the years and never had 1 break. I also don't have any friends that have had their 360 die on them. It makes me think that the RROD issue was heavily exaggerated by Sony fan boys and girls.
then you all got lucky. i don't know a single person who hasn't had at least 2 360's go on them (everyone has had one since launch). this is like 10+ people.

ive personally had 4 go on me.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, those damn fanboys! This may go down as one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. RROD is pretty real, and it was such a big deal that MS extended warrenties and fixed the issues. I never had one RR on me, but I did have three disc drives crap out on me.
American Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
exdeath
Lifer

Screw disk drives. With current advances in lithography we should have 32+ GB mask roms in an SD card format and go back to cartridge.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

Quote:
Microsoft took an extra $1 billion charge against earnings to cover the unexpected repair costs.

They also extended their warranty 3 times and made a public apology.

So no, RRoD was not heavily exaggerated. The first 3-4 revisions of the 360 were not reliable at all.
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know if the price point is right at $130, but if you're into video games a PS3 will take you a long way.

I've had mine since 2009, and its still going strong. No issues. Just don't swap the hard drive to a 7200 rpm. They overheat. I had an SSD in mine for about a year. There is a difference, but its not large enough for the money. The nice thing about the SSD though is no heat, which means no noise from fans and little risk to the system.

I didn't get into Uncharted or Valkrie. Currently playing Demon's Souls (not exclusive? not sure..) and Ni No Kuni. Both are great.

Just be aware that as soon as the PS4 is announced, which may be in as little as 6 months depending on the rumours you believe, your PS3 becomes basically worthless in terms of resale.
PS4 almost certainly won't play PS3 games due to the inability to emulate and costing too much to stick in physically, so I think the PS3 will have some value to it. Besides, no console has really any any worthwhile games to play at launch in many years, so the PS3 will still be in demand for a while.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
PS4 almost certainly won't play PS3 games due to the inability to emulate and costing too much to stick in physically, so I think the PS3 will have some value to it. Besides, no console has really any any worthwhile games to play at launch in many years, so the PS3 will still be in demand for a while.
Wii had 0 games for a while and was sold out for months.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
cmdrdredd
Lifer

With regard to PS4 talk nobody knows anything yet so don't plan ahead for it just yet. We could still be well over a year off from the worldwide release. I'd say if you have interest in some PS3 games now and the ones coming soon (Last of US, God of War Ascension etc) then it's a great buy at $130 IMO. There would likely be enough to last you well over a years time if you keep an open mind for the types of games available. Journey, Heavy Rain and a couple others require a different mindset from the player.
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
magomago
Lifer

Quote:

Disagree with your comment that it'll be worthless. the value will still hold, although the system may drop to 150 New or so....only ONCE the Ps4 is released, which will be at the end of this year BEST case. Remember the PS2 still sold for a long time and still had many released games despite the release of the PS3. I expect something similar here.

My PS3 slim is still going strong and I've NEVER had a single issue with it.