· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

View Poll Results: Have you looked deeply into BB10?
Yes 13 17.81%
No 60 82.19%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #76
cronos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
I have had a Blackberry for almost 4 years now and I haven't paid a dime more for the service than if I had any other data plan. Full access to all of my e-mail accounts from 3 different services. This is the first I've heard of someone having to pay extra for that kind of thing.
You have to have a BIS or a BES account for BBM (for instance) to work, that's what he's talking about. The fact that you personally don't 'pay a dime more than any other data plan' does not negate the fact that you have to have a separate subscription to RIM if you want to use your Blackberry fully.

To you (and most people) maybe this separate data plan is just like any other data plan, but people like me, who are depending mostly on wi-fi for data and pay-to-go data for filler, if we want to use a Blackberry, this is an additional monthly fee that we wouldn't have to pay otherwise.

In fact, until at least ~2 years ago the US didn't have any prepaid/pay-to-go BYOD carrier that will support Blackberries. When they started having some (Straight Talk, I believe is one of the first ones), it is $15/month on top of whatever plan you have. This monthly fee is extra, no matter how you look at it, and it's required if you want to utilize your Blackberry 100%.

Back to topic, I have some friends who work at RIM, and they seem to be genuinely excited about this upcoming release. I am personally not as excited, and I admit I haven't really looked into it much, but I hope it is going to be successful. As I've said before, more options can only be good for us customers. So bring it on, RIM!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #77
bigrash
Lifer

At this point of the game, I don't care a whole lot for the BB10. But I'd be curious to see how it turns out.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #78
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
You have to have a BIS or a BES account for BBM (for instance) to work, that's what he's talking about. The fact that you personally don't 'pay a dime more than any other data plan' does not negate the fact that you have to have a separate subscription to RIM if you want to use your Blackberry fully.

To you (and most people) maybe this separate data plan is just like any other data plan, but people like me, who are depending mostly on wi-fi for data and pay-to-go data for filler, if we want to use a Blackberry, this is an additional monthly fee that we wouldn't have to pay otherwise.

In fact, until at least ~2 years ago the US didn't have any prepaid/pay-to-go BYOD carrier that will support Blackberries. When they started having some (Straight Talk, I believe is one of the first ones), it is $15/month on top of whatever plan you have. This monthly fee is extra, no matter how you look at it, and it's required if you want to utilize your Blackberry 100%.

Back to topic, I have some friends who work at RIM, and they seem to be genuinely excited about this upcoming release. I am personally not as excited, and I admit I haven't really looked into it much, but I hope it is going to be successful. As I've said before, more options can only be good for us customers. So bring it on, RIM!
I do not believe that BB10 will require BIS/BES. That was the big delay with getting email on the PlayBook - for all their email prowess, RIM had never built a true email client that directly interacted with IMAP/Exchange. They have it now with PBOS2, so I can only imagine it will be there on OS10 as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #79
IHateMyJob2004
Lifer

I think Deeko is correct.

Regardless, we find out in 2 days.
or just download some free music:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php 100% LEGIT!
IHateMyJob2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #80
Rage187
Lifer

We couldn't wait any longer and dumped 700-900 BB storms for iPhone 4S and 5s. Pretty huge change for us. Many we're cracked in the first week ^^ but everyone jumped at the chance. I'm still in shock that we dropped Blackberry.
Rage187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #81
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage187 View Post
We couldn't wait any longer and dumped 700-900 BB storms for iPhone 4S and 5s. Pretty huge change for us. Many we're cracked in the first week ^^ but everyone jumped at the chance. I'm still in shock that we dropped Blackberry.
We are doing the same thing. Have roughly 400 BB phones out in the field and we are dumping it. Before we decided to go with a BYOD policy, we were already replacing them with iPhones.
PSN/XBL/Steam: bucknut2006
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #82
Railgun
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMyJob2004 View Post
I really need to know.
Why?

Every post after the OP suggests you're fully in their camp. Whether you're actually doing some legit research for the company you work for, or your a RIMM agent doing some marketing research and trying to argue why every one else's counterpoints are wrong.

Who cares what we think? We have BES here as well. We may get rid of it. Who cares if we do or not? The enterprise is going to look at this much differently than the consumer market and the enterprise has spoken. 10% of F500? Hardly a majority share.
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #83
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
If Google keeps spitting out $350 no contract Nexuses no one will be caring about BB.
Odd to bring this up, because the most recent nexus release has been such a ridiculous ordeal that I know people who've left android because of it. Google and LG can point fingers all they want but price doesn't matter when you can't get any product out the door.

IMO recently there's been enough missteps by both Apple and Android devs that I could see somebody capitalizing a bit on the few pissed off users. I think it'll be the windows phones because they're decently priced and are getting advertised well enough. It won't be much but it'll be something.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote