· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
gus6464
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
OP, the A2 speakers actually has plenty of bass. They are front ported, and are designed to help increase bass further if you place them close to the wall.

cheez
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. Putting a front ported speaker close to the back wall does almost nothing for bass response. You really do love to spout random idiot things to see what sticks don't you? Is he going to listen to them in a tiny closet and 1 foot away?

Last edited by gus6464; 01-28-2013 at 08:06 PM.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. Putting a front ported speaker close to the back wall does almost nothing for bass response. You really do love to spout random idiot things to see what sticks don't you? Is he going to listen to them in a tiny closet and 1 foot away?
He's not wrong that putting them closer to the wall will increase the bass response. There just isn't that much to begin with.

The location of the port is not very important.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
SyndromeOCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
He's not wrong that putting them closer to the wall will increase the bass response. There just isn't that much to begin with.

But if they're on the rear of your speaker you can't see papers on your desk flying around from all of the air your drivers are moving.
SyndromeOCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyndromeOCZ View Post
But if they're on the rear of your speaker you can't see papers on your desk flying around from all of the air your drivers are moving.
Or in his case, the air that the drivers aren't moving?

Kitchen stuff
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
gus6464
Golden Member

Quote:

Yes but when you get to speakers with big and multiple drivers (> 6"), the port location does start to matter when placing near the back wall. You wouldn't place a rear-ported tower with four 6" drivers super close to the back wall.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #31
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Yes but when you get to speakers with big and multiple drivers (> 6"), the port location does start to matter when placing near the back wall. You wouldn't place a rear-ported tower with four 6" drivers super close to the back wall.
As long as it isn't too close, it won't matter. There are two issues I could see when placing a port opening close to a wall; 1) the volume between the port and the wall becomes an extension of the port itself and therefore the tuning may change, and 2) as the space becomes smaller, the air velocity between the speaker and the wall increases, leading to increased damping of the port as well as noise.

But we're talking very close distances here, say less than 2x port diameter between the port and the wall.

Kitchen stuff
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
Hellhammer
AnandTech SSD Editor

Quote:
Quick question: would you be able to get a cheap AV receiver to use? Almost anything could work as long as it has S/P-DIF/analog inputs and an LFE output, e.g. anything from the last 15 years. Maybe you know a buddy who's upgrading, or perhaps there's a garage sale down the street? Having something like that would greatly increase your options.

Assuming that you CAN get something like that, I would strongly recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B203.../dp/B000LQ2ABK

This is the passive version, since the active version costs a lot more. If you have the receiver then that can supply power anyway, and the LFE channel opens up the possibility of adding sub(s) later as necessary. The 8" woofer gives a pretty decent low-end; I've run it down to about 40 Hz full-scale and it seems to be OK for most types of music. Would be worlds better than what you have now anyway.

See below for more info:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html (search for "B2031P")
http://dtmblabber.blogspot.ca/2010_07_01_archive.html

The KRK Rokit 6 is not much more in terms of $$ and is likely to be similar in terms of SQ but it doesn't produce as much bass due to its smaller woofer.
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure my dad or granddad might have a spare receiver. Will have to ask, this would definitely be a more limitless approach. Desk space is obviously limited but I can cram plenty of stuff under the desk, so that's not an issue.

Quote:
3) He is not interested in better mids and lows, even if your crappy speakers were good at them.
It's not just bass that I'm interested in, it's the overall quality. However, the bass is definitely the worst part of my current setup so that's why I put emphasis on it.

But I'll send a few emails and see what my relatives have in their closets, thanks for the idea!