· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Deeko
Lifer

Default Having a headphone dilemma...

So I've had the Sennheiser HD 518 headphones for the past few years, and I really like them. I wear them while I'm working. However, I'm changing offices to a noisier environment, so I wanted to get something that does noise cancellation, as the 518s make no attempt at isolation whatsoever. I thought the natural progression would be the Sennheiser PXC 450s, but I hated them - they felt cheap, the noise cancellation wasn't very good, and the sound quality wasn't anywhere near as good as the 518s. Back to the store they went.

I'm currently testing out the AKG K 495 NCs and the Bose QuietComfort 15s, and I'm torn as to which one I like better. Does anyone have either and have any opinions?

The AKGs definitely have better sound quality, seem better built, and have the advantage of a built in rechargeable battery / still works with the noise cancellation turned off. However, the Bose have better noise cancellation and are more comfortable.

If it weren't for the comfort thing, I'd say sound quality trumps the noise cancellation and go for the AKGs, but that does concern me - if I'm going to be wearing them 20-30 hours a week they have to be comfortable. The on-ear design seems to hurt my ears after an hour or two. Does anyone with the AKGs have any experience with that? Do you get used to it or is it just a constant issue?

Thanks!
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
hans030390
Diamond Member

Do you need noise cancellation, or would a nice closed headphone with good isolation suit you? I am generally pretty satisfied with good isolation in combination with music, but I'm not sure what your environment is like exactly.
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Deeko
Lifer

I mean, even isolation would be better than what I have now. The environment won't be THAT crazy, just a large open area with a lot of people distracting.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
s44
Diamond Member

Why not IEM?
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Why not IEM?
They never seem to fit my ears right. I used these for a little while, and I could never get a proper seal: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Custom...cm_cr-mr-title
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
SyndromeOCZ

If your just trying to block out voices and random noises then I would say go with passive noise canceling(isolation). Active noise canceling works great for things like motors and sounds that are constant. But when its voices and the occasional squeak of an office chair then isolation works better.
SyndromeOCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
hans030390
Diamond Member

I'd recommend you look into the Audio Technica ATH-M50. They're closed, isolate well, are only $140 or so, and have quite good sound quality for the price. They should have more of a neutral sound with a slight emphasis in the bass and treble regions.

There's also the Sennheiser Momentum. I've not heard these personally, but they should have a solid response with fairly tame upper mids and treble. Based on some impressions I've gathered, they should be good for smooth, long listening sessions.

Just a couple options to consider.
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
darkswordsman17
Lifer

You might buy some real cheap IEMs and then a bunch of different tips to see if any fit you better. There's like 50 million different types of tips now. The ones on that Klipsch look a bit funky (all pointed), although I seem to remember fit being one of the praised aspects but I might be wrong.

Some fit quite differently as well. The Etymotic ER-4 is great at isolation because you can cram them pretty far in your ears. The Phonak PFE are similar but fit way different and they don't isolate as well but still pretty well for me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post
I'd recommend you look into the Audio Technica ATH-M50. They're closed, isolate well, are only $140 or so, and have quite good sound quality for the price. They should have more of a neutral sound with a slight emphasis in the bass and treble regions.

There's also the Sennheiser Momentum. I've not heard these personally, but they should have a solid response with fairly tame upper mids and treble. Based on some impressions I've gathered, they should be good for smooth, long listening sessions.

Just a couple options to consider.
Good advice.

The Sennheiser HD-25 might be worth considering as well, not sure what price its going for these days, and there's like 5 different versions now I think.
darkswordsman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
s44
Diamond Member

I'd suggest getting Shures because of the different *styles* of tips they come with/offer, but even the SE215 is sorta pricey if you don't like it.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote