· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Kerfuffle13

Default Need Help Deciding on new Mouse and Keyboard

Little bit of background first:
I am going to be using these for daily use and some light gaming. As for the keyboard, I do not have a personal preference between mechanical or non-mechanical keyboards so both are going to be considered. I do like having macro keys for using in daily use as well as gaming, so a keyboard with macros would be preferred. The mouse, I prefer a wireless mouse just because of personal preference but I am not hard set on wireless. Looking for something that will last daily use, so good build quality.

Ok to the current items I am looking at:

Mouse: looking for under $150
Mad Catz R.A.T 9 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CP0BHW?tag=gamingmice00e-20
Note: reading online I have seen a lot of blogs about problems this mouse has been having, is this common or am I just reading from the few who get a mouse that doesn't work?
CM Storm Inferno Wired http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZMF26W/****************?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creative ASIN=B003ZMF26W
Mionix NAOS 5000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826580002
Logitech G700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104377
Roccat Pyra http://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Mobile-Wired-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B003B5QVS6
Force M9 Ice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146029
Logitech Performance Mouse MX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104321

Keyboard: looking for under $200
Mad Catz STRIKE 5 http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-S-T-R-I-K-E-5-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00A0EPNPI
Mad Catz V7 http://www.amazon.com/Cyborg-Gaming-Keyboard-Tri-Color-Backlighting/dp/B000VOE466
Mad Catz V5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175012
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191
Logitech G510 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126100

Other Note: Also heard that Razer mice and keyboards do not have great build quality, is this true or is it just the loud few?

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Last edited by Kerfuffle13; 01-28-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Kerfuffle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
T_Yamamoto
Lifer

Razers are only good when they're on sale

For the mouse, I would get something that fits my hand, it depends on your style on holding it, for example, there are claw style

For the keyboard, I'd go with the Sidewinder, since it still gives you the gaming feel without spending a lot on mechanical keyboard, but once you go mechanical, youll never go back (or so I've heard)
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
lehtv
Diamond Member

All of the stuff you listed is for gaming enthusiasts. Since you're only interested in light gaming and prefer wireless, a simple wireless set from Logitech or Microsoft should do fine. This should interest you: Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 310 $60 ($30 AP).

But if you want to spend more I'd recommend:

Zowie AM-GS $50
- Fits almost any hand due to simple, symmetric design
- An easy to grip surface
- Accurate optical sensor works great on almost any surface
- Minimal lift-off distance
- Adjustable DPI and refresh rate
- No drivers required

In addition to the mouse it's important to consider the mouse pad. I prefer to have a lot of real estate so I use a large 50x40cm cloth pad that is smooth and stays put. Not only is it great for gaming but improves everyday use as well. A good mouse pad is one you put on your table and never requires any attention, except if you treat it badly by spilling coffee on it.

If you want more from the keyboard as well, then:

Logitech G710 $130 or Corsair K90 $130

Both are mechanical and with macro keys.

Last edited by lehtv; 01-28-2013 at 04:59 PM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Puppies04
Diamond Member

There is actually a peripherals sub forum that would have suited this question better but anyway....

I have a Corsair K90 and a logitech G510, both are excellent keyboards in my opinion but unfortunately that is all it is, an opinion. My best advice is to go somewhere you can actually try some keyboards and mice out as what is perfect for one person is garbage as far as other people are concerned.

As for razer having poor build quality, I had 2 razer lycosa keyboards that both broke within a few weeks of owning them (1 was pretty much faulty out the box) but my deathadder mouse is still going strong after nearly 2 years of hammering. If you look around enough every manufacturer has faulty components sometimes but from a personal point of view I won't be buying any more razer keyboards.
My weddding pic http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps224f2a90.png
Puppies04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member

I would go out and try some mice/keyboards at a Best Buy or something. Yes, that seems like the punchline to a joke, but I'm serious. The physical feel of the thing will be most important. Don't go for the number of buttons or DPI (since pretty much any number above 5000 is enough), since an excessive number of buttons may ruin the feel of the mouse for you. For keyboards, I would look for mechanical since they tend to retain a crisp typing feel for longer.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
This should interest you: Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 310 $60 ($30 AP).
5-pack? No thanks.

My friends actually use the Insert key for the teamspeak/ventrilo activation key, since it's not normally used by much else.

I think it's a tragedy that they are slowly taking away our keys!
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Kerfuffle13

@T_Yamamoto

Quote:
For the mouse, I would get something that fits my hand, it depends on your style on holding it, for example, there are claw style
I use claw/fingertip style with my current mouse, buts that's because it is pretty small (logitech M305) so I cant really use any other grip.

Quote:
For the keyboard, I'd go with the Sidewinder, since it still gives you the gaming feel without spending a lot on mechanical keyboard, but once you go mechanical, youll never go back (or so I've heard)
I've heard that too, but ive never had a mechanical keyboard before so I's a little skeptical to try one. I don't really want a keyboard that makes a really loud clicking noise when I type which is why most of the keyboard I've been looking at are rubber dome ones.

@lehtv
Quote:
Zowie AM-GS $50
That only has a 2300 DPI, is that low?

Quote:
In addition to the mouse it's important to consider the mouse pad. I prefer to have a lot of real estate so I use a large 50x40cm cloth pad that is smooth and stays put. Not only is it great for gaming but improves everyday use as well. A good mouse pad is one you put on your table and never requires any attention, except if you treat it badly by spilling coffee on it.
I agree, I haven't really looked into mouse pads yet though.

Quote:
Corsair K90 $130
Thanks! I like this one, ill have to add it to my list.

@Puppies04
Quote:
There is actually a peripherals sub forum that would have suited this question better but anyway....
Oh sorry, I didn't notice that. If a mod could move this thread to the correct sub forum that would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
I have a Corsair K90 and a logitech G510, both are excellent keyboards in my opinion but unfortunately that is all it is, an opinion. My best advice is to go somewhere you can actually try some keyboards and mice out as what is perfect for one person is garbage as far as other people are concerned.
I realized when I was going on a forum I would get opinions. Unfortunately I am at college without a car at the moment so trying out keyboards and mice is currently out of the question at the moment. So I'm just left with reading reviews and going on forums until I am able to test out some stuff.

@Sleepingforest
Quote:
For keyboards, I would look for mechanical since they tend to retain a crisp typing feel for longer.
I've heard that mechanical have a longer lifetime, but I don't really want a keyboard that is really loud when I'm typing.

Side Note: I didn't mention it earlier but I want a keyboard with back-lighting too.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingforest View Post
I would go out and try some mice/keyboards at a Best Buy or something
I agree with this, especially for the mouse. You've got a big range of different mouse styles listed, so it seems to me that you haven't figured out exactly what you want. You should put some in your hand (don't take that the wrong way) before dropping $100+ on a mouse.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Kerfuffle13

Anyone have any experience with the Corsair mice? They look cool and corsair is usually a very good company, but I don't know how good their mice are.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member

The build quality is usually pretty good, and they should be pretty comfortable since many are designed to be ergonomic, but again, I would strongly suggest trying it out physically before committing to a purchase.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
lehtv
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
5-pack? No thanks.
Haha, good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle13 View Post
@lehtv

That only has a 2300 DPI, is that low?
No, it's not low. High DPI is mostly a marketing trick based on the perception that more is better, and since high DPI mice have become so prevalent due to the success of this marketing, it's easy to consider 2300 DPI "low".

About 1000 DPI is accurate enough for 99% of gamers. I have my Zowie set to 1150 DPI, it's butter smooth at 1080p. You need a really high sensitivity and/or high monitor resolution to lose pixel precision and benefit from more than 1000 DPI. Since you're not a hardcore gamer or graphics designer, DPI should not be of any concern to you whatsoever.

Last edited by lehtv; 01-30-2013 at 02:56 AM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Kerfuffle13

Quote:
The build quality is usually pretty good, and they should be pretty comfortable since many are designed to be ergonomic, but again, I would strongly suggest trying it out physically before committing to a purchase.
I totally agree with you about trying out a mouse before buying, but i'm at college without a car so I am currently unable to test out mice. So I'm just left with looking around the internet and asking people on forums what they think. Even though most opinions are just that, opinions, they are still helpful.

Quote:
No, it's not low. High DPI is mostly a marketing trick based on the perception that more is better, and since high DPI mice have become so prevalent due to the success of this marketing, it's easy to consider 2300 DPI "low".
Ah ok, I noticed when looking around that a lot of mice had a lot higher DPI, so i assumed that higher DPI was better.