· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
OakIris

Default Razer Mamba software delete causes system to not boot into Windows

This is a rather strange problem. I posted about it on a couple of the tech forums I normally look to for advice and help, but have received no responses so thought I would try here where there seems to be a lot of action and a lot of helpful people.

In 2010 I bought a Razer Mamba mouse. I quite liked it, despite its unreliability in wireless mode. Sadly, I managed to kill the mouse long before its natural lifespan was up. For the first time ever, about a month ago, I spilled a cup of coffee, and....you know the rest. I allowed the mouse to completely dry out (it was black coffee, no cream or sugar) but the mouse remained dead. I am now back to using my Logitech MX Revolution mouse. It doesn't have the "cool" factor of the Mamba but it works flawlessly as a wireless mouse and is comfortable to use and it will do.

Long story short, yesterday I wanted to do a long past due system back up and decided it was time to clean up the system a bit to get rid of any unused applications, utilities, etc.. I saw I still had the Razer Mamba software installed so went though the add/remove programs utility in the Windows Control Panel to delete it. For the last step, the system needed to restart...and then it would not boot back into Windows. The Windows Pearl logo formed on the screen, as per usual, but then the boot up stalled and it just sat there. I ended up having to do a system repair where it chose a good restore point and I was able to get the system to boot into Windows. The Razer software was of course also restored.

The reason I am blaming the Razer software, other than the fact that it was the ONLY change I made to my system before the system restart failed, is because back when I first got the mouse I experienced a similar problem that MAY be related somehow. I originally installed the mouse with the USB cable connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard , but decided to move the cable to my powered USB port to make it more convenient. I did so - and the system would not boot into Windows, again stayed stuck on the Windows start up screen with the Pearl logo. I moved the cable back to the computer port, system started fine, I put the cable back on the hub, same boot up failure, so I just left the mouse cable connected to the motherboard. (This seems to be an odd problem with Razer mice - some people have had the opposite problem, system was fine if mouse was plugged into a powered hub, but wouldn't work if plugged into the motherboard USB port, due to some incompatibility with the motherboard in the system.)

My guess is that the Razer software adds something to the registry that "commands" windows to detect something to do with the mouse before the OS can fully load, and that when the main program/drivers were removed via the control panel utility some "orphan" entries in the registry still remain and Windows is still looking for that "something" which is no longer present. Again, this is just my guess....

I am no doubt missing something very simple, but if anyone will help me to figure this out, I would much appreciate it!

Not sure this is necessary, but here are some system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws DDR3 1600; 8 GB

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Puppies04
Diamond Member

Can you boot into safe mode?
My weddding pic http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps224f2a90.png
Puppies04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
OakIris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppies04 View Post
Can you boot into safe mode?
I think I may have confused you with my long-winded post.

My system is booting up just fine now, because the restore point included the Razer software. Everything is back the way it was prior to my attempt to remove the software from my system.

I realize I should confirm that the Razer software did indeed cause the problem by deleting it once more and seeing if Windows freezes again while attempting to load after the required restart, but.... I work at home and it requires a working PC so I haven't dared to experiment anymore by "messing" with the Razer software. I don't want to find out that the Windows restore didn't work this time. It seemed wiser to see if someone much more knowledgeable than I am would be able to give me an idea of what to look for in the Registry, or what they thought might be the cause of and fix for the problem.

Holly
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Puppies04
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I think I may have confused you with my long-winded post.

My system is booting up just fine now, because the restore point included the Razer software. Everything is back the way it was prior to my attempt to remove the software from my system.

I realize I should confirm that the Razer software did indeed cause the problem by deleting it once more and seeing if Windows freezes again while attempting to load after the required restart, but.... I work at home and it requires a working PC so I haven't dared to experiment anymore by "messing" with the Razer software. I don't want to find out that the Windows restore didn't work this time. It seemed wiser to see if someone much more knowledgeable than I am would be able to give me an idea of what to look for in the Registry, or what they thought might be the cause of and fix for the problem.

Holly
Ah I see sorry, I don't usually recommend CC cleaner unless you have a problem but it seems you have one. Have you tried running it?
My weddding pic http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps224f2a90.png
Puppies04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
OakIris

I have CC Cleaner on my system but I have not used it as yet for this. Do you suggest that I give it a try?

(Presumably I have to run the Control Panel remove program utility first, right, but not let the system restart, and then run CC Cleaner??)

Holly