· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
RussianSensation
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavAnan View Post
If the 2 Korean Monitors only have DVI inputs, what is the minimum graphics card that will run both? eg. for a computer mainly used for office work, not gaming, so a powerful 3D card is not required. Just excellent 2D image quality/clarity wanted.

Thanks
ZOTAC Synergy ZT-40611-10L GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video = $50

Specifications list:

Dual Dual-link DVI (up to 2560x1600 from each DVI port).
PDF: http://www.zotacusa.com/specsheet/ZT-40611-10L.pdf

As far as I am aware, no GTX600 card under GTX660Ti has Dual Dual Link DVI support; so GTX650Ti won't work for 2x 2560x1440 DVI (iirc).

You are welcome!

Last edited by RussianSensation; 01-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.
RussianSensation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
MavAnan

Thanks for that. So do you think the warnings the Korean sellers put on their listings, eg. "Please use DVI-D port only. Cannot be used with DVI-I or DVI-S" are just overkill?
MavAnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
MavAnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSensation View Post
As far as I am aware, no GTX600 card under GTX660Ti has Dual Dual Link DVI support; so GTX650Ti won't work for 2x 2560x1440 DVI (iirc).
I'm not sure I follow. Doesn't this GTX650Ti have dual-link DVI-D and do 2 x 2560x1440?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
mrpiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Octagon View Post
This is incorrect. Both DVI-D and DVI-I exist in both single link and dual link form. The graphics card's dual link DVI output can be either DVI-D or DVI-I, so long as it is dual link. However, the input on the monitor is DVI-D, so you need a (again, dual link) DVI-D cable. DVI-I won't fit because it has extra pins

Yeah, he's right. I get them mixed up dual link d vs i..
mrpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
joe_H

I ran two Shimians off my 7950 (had to buy an active DP converter to run the second). However, my 7950 idled around 54C which I thought was too hot. Wound up buying a cheap secondary video card to power the second display. 7950 now idles in the low 30's.
joe_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #31
mrpiggy

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow. Doesn't this GTX650Ti have dual-link DVI-D and do 2 x 2560x1440?

According to Gigabyte's website, both this one and the cheaper GT640 I linked earlier have 2 x Dual-link DVI-D output so they should support the resolutions on having the two monitors.

Last edited by mrpiggy; 01-22-2013 at 02:49 PM.
mrpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
MavAnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiggy View Post
According to Gigabyte's website, both this one and the cheaper GT640 I linked earlier have 2 x Dual-link DVI output.
Yes I know (as well as all of Gigabytes 650's), that's why I said I'm not sure I follow his statement. ie. "that no GTX600 card under GTX660Ti has Dual Dual Link DVI support".
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
RussianSensation
Elite Member

Quote:
You are right, that card supports it.
"Features Dual-link DVI-D*2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiggy View Post
According to Gigabyte's website, both this one and the cheaper GT640 I linked earlier have 2 x Dual-link DVI-D output so they should support the resolutions on having the two monitors.
You are right, that one does too.
"Features Dual link Dual Link DVI-D*2"

Last time I checked GTX600 series cards, I didn't see these models for sale yet. That's why I said iirc. My mistake. Looks like some lower end GTX600 cards support dual-link dual DVI-D. Looks like you have at least 2 options from Gigabyte.

Last edited by RussianSensation; 01-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.
RussianSensation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
MavAnan

ok, but do you think the warnings the Korean sellers put on their listings, eg. "Please use DVI-D port only. Cannot be used with DVI-I or DVI-S" are just overkill? (ie. given that the Zotac card you mentioned above has 2 DVI-I connectors)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
Black Octagon

Quote:
ok, but do you think the warnings the Korean sellers put on their listings, eg. "Please use DVI-D port only. Cannot be used with DVI-I or DVI-S" are just overkill? (ie. given that the Zotac card you mentioned above has 2 DVI-I connectors)
It's not overkill. The monitors are supplied with a dual link DVI-D cable to match the dual link DVI-D input port. However, it really doesn't matter whether the dual link DVI port on your graphics card is -D or -I

DVI-D - digital
DVI-I - capable of both digital AND analogue (so it has more pins)

Edit: in other words they say port when they should say cable.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #36
MavAnan

Quote:
It's not overkill. The monitors are supplied with a dual link DVI-D cable to match the dual link DVI-D input port. However, it really doesn't matter whether the dual link DVI port on your graphics card is -D or -I

DVI-D - digital
DVI-I - capable of both digital AND analogue (so it has more pins)

Edit: in other words they say port when they should say cable.
Ok, that's an interesting interpretation, ie. that that particular Seller mistakenly used the word port when meaning to say cable ... as opposed to the overkill explanation (and especially since they supply the cable anyway).

Given that a number of Sellers give warnings to the same effect as the one above, eg.:

"Your video card must have 2pcs x DVI-D Dual output."

"If you want to make dual monitor by 2pc x this Monitor, video card must have 2pcs x DVI-D dual output."

... it seems more likely they're just being overly cautious. I'm not saying they're right but it looks more like overkill than a typo.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #37
Black Octagon

Quote:
Ok, that's an interesting interpretation, ie. that that particular Seller mistakenly used the word port when meaning to say cable ... as opposed to the overkill explanation (and especially since they supply the cable anyway).

Given that a number of Sellers give warnings to the same effect as the one above, eg.:

"Your video card must have 2pcs x DVI-D Dual output."

"If you want to make dual monitor by 2pc x this Monitor, video card must have 2pcs x DVI-D dual output."

... it seems more likely they're just being overly cautious. I'm not saying they're right but it looks more like overkill than a typo.
Mate, I fully understand your concern, really I do. My interpretation is based on having read countless forum threads about these Korean eBay IPS screens for the better half of the past 12 months. This question has come up many, many times by people (like yourself) who are legitimately confused by what these Korean sellers state in their Item Descriptions (there are other problematic things like stating that only cards up to the HD6XXX and GTX5XX generations are supported, for example).

I have this card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1777551

See how its DL-DVI port is DVI-I? Well I have it connected to one of these so-called DVI-D only monitors, and it works, trust me

Also, have a read of this:
1) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3110016AAiqzDG
2) http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=21
3) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...postcount=1783
4) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...postcount=1786
5) http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tors-work-evga
Black Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #38
MavAnan

Quote:
Mate, I fully understand your concern, really I do. My interpretation is based on having read countless forum threads about these Korean eBay IPS screens for the better half of the past 12 months. This question has come up many, many times by people (like yourself) who are legitimately confused by what these Korean sellers state in their Item Descriptions (there are other problematic things like stating that only cards up to the HD6XXX and GTX5XX generations are supported, for example).

I have this card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1777551

See how its DL-DVI port is DVI-I? Well I have it connected to one of these so-called DVI-D only monitors, and it works, trust me

Also, have a read of this:
1) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3110016AAiqzDG
2) http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=21
3) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...postcount=1783
4) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...postcount=1786
5) http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tors-work-evga
Mate, I appreciate your concern but I think it's misplaced. With all due respect, I think there's a little confusion about the meaning of the above few posts. I'm not "concerned" by what Korean Sellers have written in their ebay descriptions, I was simply offering an explanation for the statements, ie. overkill - they're being overly cautious. And I have no idea why you flat out said "It's not overkill" but rather consistent typos when overkill appears to be the more likely explanation (unless there is some truth to the Seller's statements in certain dual monitor situations).

There has never been any doubt that a card with a dual-link DVI-I port will work to drive a single Korean Monitor.

The only question was re two Monitors, ie. whether cards with a DVI-I x 2 or DVI-I plus DVI-D configuration would have any problem driving two of these monitors, and if they do whether there's any difference.

From some posts it seems that such cards probably can. But that was the salient question - as well as:- If running 2 Korean Monitors, will a card with DVI-D x 2 have any advantage over DVI-I x 2 or DVD-I plus DVI-D?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #39
Black Octagon

Quote:
There has never been any doubt that a card with a dual-link DVI-I port will work to drive a single Korean Monitor.
Fair play, TBH I was mixing up (in my mind) my response to you with my earlier response to mrpiggy, who was under the impression that DVI-I wouldn't work: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...2&postcount=22

Quote:
I'm not "concerned" by what Korean Sellers have written in their ebay descriptions, I was simply offering an explanation for the statements, ie. overkill - they're being overly cautious. And I have no idea why you flat out said "It's not overkill" but rather consistent typos when overkill appears to be the more likely explanation (unless there is some truth to the Seller's statements in certain dual monitor situations).
Ok I see what you mean. Indeed it could be overkill I suppose, especially if that's what the manufacturer has told them. It could be one reason why they make strange declarations like saying that the HD5850 is incompatible even though its DVI port is Dual Link (AFAIK all DVI ports on 5850s are DVI-I and not DVI-D).

While it could be them being overly cautious because of what the manufacturer tells them, I also think it's possible that they're confusing Dual Link DVI and DVI-D, as happens very often. They could also have noticed that a DVI-I cable has too many pins to fit into the monitors' input. So when I said "in other words they say port when they should say cable," I didn't mean that it was a typo, but rather that they are posting incorrect information because they hold a commonly-held misunderstanding about DVI.

Anyway, it's all academic. Dual Link DVI is all that matters as far as graphics card ports are concerned.

Quote:
The only question was re two Monitors, ie. whether cards with a DVI-I x 2 or DVI-I plus DVI-D configuration would have any problem driving two of these monitors, and if they do whether there's any difference.
Right, that's the OP's question (and the answer is no). However I also posted in response to some related/secondary issues raised by ViRGE and mrpiggy. Sorry if it all got a bit muddled
Black Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #40
MavAnan

Quote:
Fair play, TBH I was mixing up (in my mind) my response to you with my earlier response to mrpiggy, who was under the impression that DVI-I wouldn't work
All good but in fairness to mrpiggy, I think he may have been meaning that he thought DVI-I (x2) wouldn't work to drive 2 Monitors. I don't think there's ever been any doubt that a DL DVI-I output is able to drive one Monitor (that's a very common configuration with these Monitors).

Quote:
Ok I see what you mean. Indeed it could be overkill I suppose, especially if that's what the manufacturer has told them.
yes, I tend to think they're just playing it safe. They want to minimise any reason someone could have for wanting a refund. Be interesting to know if there actually are situations where DVI-I x 2 or DVI-I plus DVI-D wouldn't work to drive 2 of these Monitors.

Quote:
Right, that's the OP's question (and the answer is no).
So what is the difference between displaying via 2 DVI-I outputs and 2 DVI-D outputs? Is there absolutely nothing different at all?

Last edited by MavAnan; 01-24-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
Black Octagon

Quote:
So what is the difference between displaying via 2 DVI-I outputs and 2 DVI-D outputs? Is there absolutely nothing different at all?
AFAIK in terms of image quality they are identical. The only difference, again AFAIK, is that the DVI-I ports can output an analogue signal in addition to a digital signal
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
CakeMonster

I run a 2560x1600 monitor and a 2560x1440 monitor on my 7970. One on the Dual Link DVI port, ad one with a DP cable (mini->normal). The included DP->DVI adapter also works.
CakeMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #43
Arkaign
Lifer

Aside from the good info already given here, I'd like to recommend a new, lower-end card for non-gaming 2560 duty rather than an old 8800. Those old 88xx Nvidia cards were beasts for their time, but are unneccarily hot/loud/thristy, and prone to solder failure after long use.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #44
MavAnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
Aside from the good info already given here, I'd like to recommend a new, lower-end card for non-gaming 2560 duty.
Any one in particular?