Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Macgruber
Banned

Default Took apart my hp dv7-1245dx

ong story short.

hp dv7-1245dx , 4-5 years old. cleaned maintenanced never had issue

yesterday i press sleep, pc would glitch have fans spin at maximum rpm and laptop wouldnt turn off unless i pulled plug.

ive used ac adapter outlet for 90% of laptops life

today - i turn on and get blinking lights on caps lock

i take the computer completely apart to do a full maintenance cleaning and i piece it back together screw by screw piece by piece

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...s/td-p/2340185

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...oduct=113 2551

did i really get unlucky of a defective hp that outlived its expected life and whats happening to thousands happened to me?

this computer has sat on a cooling pad and never really overheated and after yesterday now i cant get it to boot. i tried booting with no hd/memory/wireless battery and doing everything i could on google to get it to turn on

can i save this laptopwithout buying a new mobo/gfx what should i do!!! someone save me before i lose money on this ;( i will appreciate it more than you can imagine

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Macgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
C1
Golden Member

4-5 years is about the right time for the end of life of CMOS battery so as policy you should have just replaced that without question. Also the main battery is gone in that time period even though it may have never been used (and LiOns dont like sitting around indefinitely at full charge). Also remember that certain components such as electrolytic capacitors have end of life just sitting on a shelf. If they are bottom end units then five years would be about right.

Take the machine to a shop and let them evaluate it. Could be a pleasant surprise (eg, may just need a new charger/adapter).
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Macgruber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1 View Post
4-5 years is about the right time for the end of life of CMOS battery so as policy you should have just replaced that without question. Also the main battery is gone in that time period even though it may have never been used (and LiOns dont like sitting around indefinitely at full charge). Also remember that certain components such as electrolytic capacitors have end of life just sitting on a shelf. If they are bottom end units then five years would be about right.

Take the machine to a shop and let them evaluate it. Could be a pleasant surprise (eg, may just need a new charger/adapter).
I wish i would of posted here before

i know its too late now since itook everything apart and did a full cleaning, should i start with a replacement cmos?

tbh, all the shops around here try to scheme you for 75-150$ just to "look at it" without telling you off the bat if its something fixable or not so i wish i could diagnose it myself.

i mean, if it turns on, fans spin and im getting the lights on the caps lock, does that mean my mobo is fine, ram is good, hd is good, and the onboard video is bad/battery is bad?

it wont boot up obviously but it pretends to start as it always would then shuts down to like 2% fan speed and just led's on....

oh yeah for the battery i would charge it every other week if i used or not but do you think i should go for a new CMOS battery + ac adaptor or what do you suggerst

sorry im all over the place with my response as you can tell im frustrated and going loooney ;[

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Phynaz
Diamond Member

When that happened to my NC6000 it was a fried motherboard.
Phynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
C1
Golden Member

There are still some things you can do, but the tests are a bit more complicated than Im willing to discuss. MB repair will be minimum of $200 especially after shipping expense ( http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...d=150742236656 ) and IMO is not worth it.

Best bet is to pull the HDD and replace the machine with a nice Fujitsu from Fry's Electronics.

PS: I have a friend who has a similar machine that just shuts down unexpectedly and wont restart (some kind of onboard power management issue). Research suggests that it's an MB issue and I have found enough similar complaints listed on the networks so I suspect its a MB problem with certain HP models.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Macgruber
Banned

Quote:
There are still some things you can do, but the tests are a bit more complicated than Im willing to discuss. MB repair will be minimum of $200 especially after shipping expense ( http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...=1 50742236656 ) and IMO is not worth it.

Best bet is to pull the HDD and replace the machine with a nice Fujitsu from Fry's Electronics.

PS: I have a friend who has a similar machine that just shuts down unexpectedly and wont restart (some kind of onboard power management issue). Research suggests that it's an MB issue and I have found enough similar complaints listed on the networks so I suspect its a MB problem with certain HP models.
yeah dude... crap, at that price i might as well buy a new laptop and spend a little more, although ill probably never buy a laptop again ever unless its a mac.

im worried about the HD data, i mean, even the blinking lights wont indicate properly what the issue is im not willing to buy new mobo/gpu/cmos battery/ram to find out whats faulty

could i possibly put the HD from the laptop as a slave inside my desktop and save all the data before i get screwed with 5 years of work on it?

yes i know i didnt make a backup im retarded. i guess i expect stuff not to fail when i did my part i guess the machines too old. still has stickers and looks new but, obviously it isnt

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
crab0

If I had a laptop that lasted that long (*knocks on wood*) I would be ecstatic.
crab0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
C1
Golden Member

re: could i possibly put the HD from the laptop as a slave inside my desktop and save all the data before i get screwed with 5 years of work on it?

Sure. When Ive done this in the past, the first thing I do before proceeding is toggle the C partition of the slave as non-bootable. (Prevents potential unexpected complications.)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Macgruber
Banned

Quote:
re: could i possibly put the HD from the laptop as a slave inside my desktop and save all the data before i get screwed with 5 years of work on it?

Sure. When Ive done this in the past, the first thing I do before proceeding is toggle the C partition of the slave as non-bootable. (Prevents potential unexpected complications.)
Any chance you could pm me and explain, it seems like your knowledgeable and i dont want to use a guide from google and mess up this hard drive

i think its cheaper for me to buy a 1tb hd for storage and save the data from my notebook on my pc instead of fix this HP... my cdrom went bad 1yr with the hp i could never make backup discs and i refused to buy one for 60$ from hp knowing it would break again.

so im assuming i need to set the notebooks hd in bios as non bootable or some sort?

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
The_Dude8
Diamond Member

Quote:

what kind of adapter (external) do i need to buy if i want to hook up the laptop hd to the desktop usb? i mean to convert the laptop hd into an external hd.
The_Dude8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
MarkLuvsCS

$8 shipped, Vantec 2.5" enclosure with plenty of positive reviews
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
lakedude
Golden Member

The_Dude8, what kind of HD do you have?

Macgruber, that Vantec looks fine for you since your laptop has a SATA drive.

Then again you actually don't need it at all. On SATA drives the power and data connectors are exactly the same on a laptop sized drive as they are on a desktop sized drive. You can just hook up the laptop drive inside the desktop.
lakedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
The_Dude8
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
The_Dude8, what kind of HD do you have?

Macgruber, that Vantec looks fine for you since your laptop has a SATA drive.

Then again you actually don't need it at all. On SATA drives the power and data connectors are exactly the same on a laptop sized drive as they are on a desktop sized drive. You can just hook up the laptop drive inside the desktop.
i believe the old 2.5 idle hd (non sata i believe), i know it's before the SSD hd. it's hard drive that was used in ibm thinkpad t43. i think those uses IDE right?

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/I...rd-Drives.aspx

Last edited by The_Dude8; 01-31-2013 at 12:04 AM.
The_Dude8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
0800peter

Default rescue disk content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgruber View Post
so im assuming i need to set the notebooks hd in bios as non bootable or some sort?
Well My way in case of rescueing data begins usually with a Life System booting from CD that is not touching any of the HDisks when booting . e.g http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
When created the CD and set the Boot priority to cd first you check if bootup is woking.
So any connected HD will be recognized by the OS and you will be able to mount and copy whatever you! , not your OS, like.

Your notebook: If RAM became unreadable (cpu/chipset/rambars/connectors) defect it´s over. Trials like put in freezer overnight, bake at 60° for an hour. Are non destructive and help saying goodbeye to the wellbeloved hardware if they dont change anything.
0800peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
chucky2
Diamond Member

My cousins HP Elitebook died with blink codes on the caps (3 flashes, indicated bad memory or motherboard...turns out it was motherboard).

Are you getting a certain number of repeated flashes? If so, might be able to trace it down that way...

Chuck
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Macgruber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0800peter View Post
Well My way in case of rescueing data begins usually with a Life System booting from CD that is not touching any of the HDisks when booting . e.g http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
When created the CD and set the Boot priority to cd first you check if bootup is woking.
So any connected HD will be recognized by the OS and you will be able to mount and copy whatever you! , not your OS, like.

Your notebook: If RAM became unreadable (cpu/chipset/rambars/connectors) defect it´s over. Trials like put in freezer overnight, bake at 60° for an hour. Are non destructive and help saying goodbeye to the wellbeloved hardware if they dont change anything.
thanks man, people have been telling me to hotswap, add power to the HD, and when system is booting up just plug in the SATA connector
with this way youre telling me sounds like it will give me a green light before i boot, but i dont want to risk booting up 2 hd's connected at same time and damaging one or the other

i honestly havent touched the laptop since i havnet had time and so scared of losing my data... u cant imagine how bad it sucks for me ;( and if u can then T_T!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
My cousins HP Elitebook died with blink codes on the caps (3 flashes, indicated bad memory or motherboard...turns out it was motherboard).

Are you getting a certain number of repeated flashes? If so, might be able to trace it down that way...

Chuck
yeah man, but its doing the flashes nonstop, 3 seconds between flashes and it never stops flashing.

im thinking its the mobo i just dont want to buy one thing and it be another, and if i go to any shop here there gonna want 100 bucks to "look at it" which is 100 bucks i could use to try something myself -_-

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab0 View Post
If I had a laptop that lasted that long (*knocks on wood*) I would be ecstatic.
Very true. Not to try to make you feel bad, op but even if the CD went bad you could have used something like Acronis true image to back up to an external hard drive.

I would feel more comfortable using an external USB enclosure to recover the data. That way you know nothing can happen to the laptop drive unless it has failed already.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
chucky2
Diamond Member

Quote:
snip

yeah man, but its doing the flashes nonstop, 3 seconds between flashes and it never stops flashing.

im thinking its the mobo i just dont want to buy one thing and it be another, and if i go to any shop here there gonna want 100 bucks to "look at it" which is 100 bucks i could use to try something myself -_-
This is exactly what my cousins did. He had a 3 flash code, so it'd flash 3x, pause, then repeat - forever. We tried new memory from NewEgg, that didn't fix problem. Next on HP's list of things to do was new mobo...and, that fixed the problem. New mobo was $60 new from eBay, not bad at all.

Warning though: It did not come with the thermal pad replacement kit. I got pretty lucky and the thermal pads from the non-main die GPU components came away clean, so I was able to reuse them. I ordered some MX-2 for the small gap between the northbridge and heatsink (I mounded it up a lot, seems to work but honestly I should have used thermal pad there), and MX-2 on the main CPU and GPU dies (those are direct contact, so normal better thermal compound can be used there).

So technically, you'd want to order the motherboard and the thermal pad kit, just to be safe. I also ordered a new fan, as that is a mechanical component and I didn't want to have to repeat this in a year when his factory fan died. Ended up ordering from HP, they were the only ones that had new fans if I didn't want to ship from China.

Good luck!

Chuck
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Macgruber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra123456 View Post
Very true. Not to try to make you feel bad, op but even if the CD went bad you could have used something like Acronis true image to back up to an external hard drive.

I would feel more comfortable using an external USB enclosure to recover the data. That way you know nothing can happen to the laptop drive unless it has failed already.
not to be rude tundra but, stating the obvious and saying "not to make you feel bad about it" really does not help me as i did not make "backups" but thanks for giving me your 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
This is exactly what my cousins did. He had a 3 flash code, so it'd flash 3x, pause, then repeat - forever. We tried new memory from NewEgg, that didn't fix problem. Next on HP's list of things to do was new mobo...and, that fixed the problem. New mobo was $60 new from eBay, not bad at all.

Warning though: It did not come with the thermal pad replacement kit. I got pretty lucky and the thermal pads from the non-main die GPU components came away clean, so I was able to reuse them. I ordered some MX-2 for the small gap between the northbridge and heatsink (I mounded it up a lot, seems to work but honestly I should have used thermal pad there), and MX-2 on the main CPU and GPU dies (those are direct contact, so normal better thermal compound can be used there).

So technically, you'd want to order the motherboard and the thermal pad kit, just to be safe. I also ordered a new fan, as that is a mechanical component and I didn't want to have to repeat this in a year when his factory fan died. Ended up ordering from HP, they were the only ones that had new fans if I didn't want to ship from China.

Good luck!

Chuck
thanks chuky for putting some light at the end of the tunnel for me, im definately going to look at mobos the problem is my flashes flash with 3second pauses in between them nonstop, they dont ever really "stop"

im going to start looking for mobos before i try to "hotswap" my notebook hd onto my computer and save data

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
Macgruber
Banned

no luck for poor ole me, no motherboards on ebay... theres a USED one for 180$ and a bunch of "repair services" :[

Last edited by esquared; 02-17-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
chucky2
Diamond Member

Quote:
not to be rude tundra but, stating the obvious and saying "not to make you feel bad about it" really does not help me as i did not make "backups" but thanks for giving me your 2 cents

thanks chuky for putting some light at the end of the tunnel for me, im definately going to look at mobos the problem is my flashes flash with 3second pauses in between them nonstop, they dont ever really "stop"

im going to start looking for mobos before i try to "hotswap" my notebook hd onto my computer and save data
What I did was search for like 8530p repair manual or something like that, and Google pulled up a link from HPs site with the service manual. In that service manual were step by step instructions for replacing each and every component, including the motherboard - I was actually pretty impressed, it was very logically put together and accurate.

In there, they have replacement part numbers for everything. So when I searched Google and eBay, I put in the replacement part number for his motherboard. If you haven't tried that already, give it a try...you may have better luck that way.

Chuck