· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
People are switching *to* Verizon?

I've been planning to jump ship at the end of the year when my contract is out. Keep hoping either Sprint or T-Mo gets its act together by then so I can stay on true unlimited with real data speed and coverage, maybe for a bit less (paying $80/m now since I only use GV texting) given Verizon's superior footprint. I can't upgrade on Verizon, but the odds of having to bite the bullet and get something like a secondhand S4 seem to be higher than I'd thought.

I guess it depends on how good the next year-end Nexus is.
Don't ever consider switching from your Verizon unlimited plan to Sprint. Ever.
Either stay with Verizon or go to T-Mobile, AT&T, or hell...even Straight Talk.

I'd say Sprint is without a doubt the worst of the 4 major carriers.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
That's pretty good price for 6 month card. But I rather pay little more to do month to month. The biggest advantage of the prepaid is that you can do month to month and leave at anytime or not renew for a month or two. Six months is long time to be locked in. The last couple of months I've refilled from crazygametime. I paid $38 last month and $39.99 for this month. My wife didn't need cell service last month so I didn't refill her card. She wanted the service for this month so I refilled after letting her service expire last month and she got back her old number and service.
This is what I do now also.
Prior to that, I used to let my cousin order the 3 months refill from Walmart.com for $124.99 and he'll either email or text me the refill code so I won't have to pay any sales tax or useless fees that you have to pay on Straight Talk's website.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
openwheel
Golden Member

so you jump over to Verizon and get yourself raped??

I think the only one laughing is Sprint...
openwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel View Post
so you jump over to Verizon and get yourself raped??

I think the only one laughing is Sprint...
Working on it.... I've gotten them to agree to waiving one ETF so far. If they are "unable" to fix the tower by week end he is going to waive another one.... But I am tempted to wait out a cancellation for roaming. I've gotten 2 months down of large roaming data usage and calls. So I figure if I can wait it out another month maybe I will get a letter... but who knows.
Dulanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #30
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
Don't ever consider switching from your Verizon unlimited plan to Sprint. Ever.
Either stay with Verizon or go to T-Mobile, AT&T, or hell...even Straight Talk.

I'd say Sprint is without a doubt the worst of the 4 major carriers.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #31
Young Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy4Real View Post
I switched from Sprint to Verizon last year and it was the best move I ever made. After dealing with tons of dropped calls and slow data, I haven't had any issues with Verizon. I pay a little more but it is well worth it.
agreed.

OP flash your phone with a Verizon only PRL. it will force your phone to go into roaming mode for both voice and data. download a copy of windows 8 trial from microsoft every night and eventually you will get a termination letter from sprint telling you to go find another provider within the next 30 days. you will also not have to pay an ETF either
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Grasshopper View Post
agreed.

OP flash your phone with a Verizon only PRL. it will force your phone to go into roaming mode for both voice and data. download a copy of windows 8 trial from microsoft every night and eventually you will get a termination letter from sprint telling you to go find another provider within the next 30 days. you will also not have to pay an ETF either
Already done for the past 2 months. Super easy /w the GNex too since I can flash it back and forward between the PRLs 100x a day if I needed to.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #33
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
Lol...Since when did Consumer Reports become the authority to listen to for things like cellphones?
Consumer Reports is only good for looking up things like vaccums, washers, and dryers. I would never use them for anything to do with TV's, cellphones, or computers.

1.) Lol...That chart gave a better rating for Sprint on data than AT&T...Lol
2.) Lol...That chart gave Straight Talk excellent marks for Data...But yet Straight Talk uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers. How the heck can Straight Talk get a better rating on data than AT&T or T-Mobile can themselves?...Lol
3.) Lol...That chart gave Virgin Mobile excellent marks for data...But yet Virgin Mobile only uses Sprint's native coverage towers. How the heck can Virgin Mobile get a better rating than Sprint themselves when it comes to data rating when they use the same Sprint towers and Sprint has access to Verizon towers for roaming?...Lol

That Consumer Reports study should be disregarded and rightly so.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25380...t_.html?page=0
http://www.pcworld.com/article/25488...d_verizon.html
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #34
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Lol...Since when did Consumer Reports become the authority to listen to for things like cellphones?
Consumer Reports is only good for looking up things like vaccums, washers, and dryers. I would never use them for anything to do with TV's, cellphones, or computers.

1.) Lol...That chart gave a better rating for Sprint on data than AT&T...Lol
2.) Lol...That chart gave Straight Talk excellent marks for Data...But yet Straight Talk uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers. How the heck can Straight Talk get a better rating on data than AT&T or T-Mobile can themselves?...Lol
3.) Lol...That chart gave Virgin Mobile excellent marks for data...But yet Virgin Mobile only uses Sprint's native coverage towers. How the heck can Virgin Mobile get a better rating than Sprint themselves when it comes to data rating when they use the same Sprint towers and Sprint has access to Verizon towers for roaming?...Lol

That Consumer Reports study should be disregarded and rightly so.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25380...t_.html?page=0
http://www.pcworld.com/article/25488...d_verizon.html
Depending on when that chart came out, Sprint being better than AT&T is entirely believable since AT&T had horrible spotty coverage for a long time. Also you have to compare apples to apples, pre paid to pre paid not pre paid to post paid in regards to Sprint and Virgin Mobile data rating.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #35
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Depending on when that chart came out, Sprint being better than AT&T is entirely believable since AT&T had horrible spotty coverage for a long time. Also you have to compare apples to apples, pre paid to pre paid not pre paid to post paid in regards to Sprint and Virgin Mobile data rating.
Nov. 2012
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lol same could be said for PCworld. So they are comparing EVDO (3G) to HSPA+ (3.5G)? Your report was published in April 2012, while the consumer reports was Nov. 2012...

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/veriz...180806387.html

Quote:
Verizon Wireless was the highest-rated major carrier in Consumer Reports’ annual cell-phone service ratings, based on a survey of 63,253 subscribers by the Consumer Reports National Research Center.

Last edited by Anonemous; 01-24-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #37
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Lets use your pre-paid to pre-paid apples comparison analogy:
1.) Virgin Mobile(which only uses Sprint native coverage BTW) has just as data good rating as Straight Talk which uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers? Shens.
2.) Straight Talk has better data rating than T-Mobile and AT&T prepaid even though Straight talk doesn't have any data roaming and they use the same exact towers? Shens.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Finally! I'm out! Will be going /w Tmobile family plan for $100, 2 phones at 500MB and 1 unlimited. Cheaper than even ST. Just waiting for the SGS4 to release so I can pick them up.

Sprint finally fixed the LTE here... and it died AGAIN within 1 day. This local tower is so screwed. That was when they finally caved.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Awesome!
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
Robert Munch

Horrendous customer service, Sprint flat out sucks.

Shooting a preacher is like squishing a spider. It's sad for a while but it cleans the place up.
Robert Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

My only issue with Sprint is that they won't have LTE in my area for about 2 years. That's too long to wait.
I can get 4G outside at about 8mbps but who wants to go outside. 3G is about 1-1.5 mbps.
When the S4 comes out on Verizon I am switching over and getting the S4 for myself and the Note II for the wife.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #42
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
My only issue with Sprint is that they won't have LTE in my area for about 2 years. That's too long to wait.
I can get 4G outside at about 8mbps but who wants to go outside. 3G is about 1-1.5 mbps.
When the S4 comes out on Verizon I am switching over and getting the S4 for myself and the Note II for the wife.
It wouldn't have bothered me if it worked once it went live here. But out of the 6 months since it went live LTE has worked for 3 weeks total.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #43
saratoga172
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
It wouldn't have bothered me if it worked once it went live here. But out of the 6 months since it went live LTE has worked for 3 weeks total.
We've had it in Dallas for 6-9 months I think. Work uses sprint. 3G service on my 4s is atrocious. I've only ever gotten over 200k a couple times. The 4g is very fast (20m or more) when it works. It'll randomly work great then cut out. Way too unreliable.
saratoga172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #44
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Lol they fixed it right after releasing me. Still LTE that's the same speed as HSPA+is somewhat laughable.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
ncroadster

Quote:
Lol they fixed it right after releasing me. Still LTE that's the same speed as HSPA+is somewhat laughable.
It's all about the upload speed!
ncroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #46
Roland00Address
Golden Member

Quote:
I would not complain about 6 megs up, 6 megs down with reasonable ping, while keeping unlimited data and a reasonable price.

Sure 20 would be better but you are having serious "first world problems" if you are complaining about 6 up 6 down with unlimited.

--------------

Do not get me wrong, you have serious rights to complain about the fact you didn't get good service for 85% of the time.
Roland00Address is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #47
saratoga172
Golden Member

Roland: I thought the same thing. 6/6 is not a bad speed at all for your phone. It's quite good. But when I need to tether for work ideally I'd like 10/5 or greater. That's why I use my Verizon phone. It's usually around 15/7 or so. I find that 5/5ish can get a little sluggish because the ping usually suffers and is over 125ish. I remote desktop into a work machine for network work related items and it hinders that process.
saratoga172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #48
Roland00Address
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga172 View Post
Roland: I thought the same thing. 6/6 is not a bad speed at all for your phone. It's quite good. But when I need to tether for work ideally I'd like 10/5 or greater. That's why I use my Verizon phone. It's usually around 15/7 or so. I find that 5/5ish can get a little sluggish because the ping usually suffers and is over 125ish. I remote desktop into a work machine for network work related items and it hinders that process.
50 to 60 ping is not the same as 100+ ping.
Roland00Address is offline   Reply With Quote