· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Peppered

Default Is the LG 55 LM4600 a decent TV ?

I have read nothing but good things on Walmart site but on some other places I they say to stay away from LG as a whole.

I have interest in this because I would like to get a 3d TV that is 50" or larger and I also like the idea of Passive over the other kind for my wife's sake.

there are only a few movies I would like to see in 3d but it would be nice to have the tech for it for when I want to.

They have this on sale for $898 right now and that is something I can afford.

I don't want to buy something that will give me nothing but trouble though.

If anyone has any experience with the LG led tv's please let me no the good or the bad points of them.

Thanks
Peppered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Aikouka
Lifer

Mine's the LG 47LM4700, which I believe is similar enough to the 4600 series. I don't have too much experience with other LED LCDs, but the TV works fine for me. The passive seems to work fairly well, but from my experience, the comments on poor 3D vertical viewing angles are correct. You get a bit of cross-talk if you view it from too high or too low.

EDIT:

One thing to add is that both 120Hz and automatic dimming are enabled by default. LG calls their 120Hz "Real Cinema" and the automated brightness is an energy savings feature that can be reduced or disabled. The default setting is really high and makes most scenes REALLY dark if the lights are off in the room.

Last edited by Aikouka; 01-21-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Peppered

Ok thank you so much for the info. I no I can get a plasma for the same price. I have a had a plasma for 7 years and it started loosing it brightness last year and has a few burnt in images that I can see when it is first turned on but cant see once the picture is on.

That being said I had to constantly get onto my wife about what channel she watched to keep it from getting to bad I don't want to go threw that again. And I am afraid she will have seizures if she uses the active phase instead of the passive.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Aikouka
Lifer

I should probably also add that my experience with the TV hasn't been as rosy as I've made it sound. I tend to get annoyed when electronics don't work like they're supposed to, or if a feature doesn't work like it should... especially when compared to an older device with the same feature.

The first thing I'm having an issue with is HDMI-CEC. My Mitsubishi DLP will turn on my receiver when the TV turns on, and turn off the receiver when the TV turns off. It's rather nice as it means that as long as I want to use the same device, I never have to touch the receiver's remote. Some devices will even change the receiver's input when turned on (the PS3 supports HDMI-CEC). I can get the LG TV to turn off the receiver when I turn off the TV, but I can't get it to turn it on. Normally, you would consult the manual to see if there's anything funky that you have to do, but the manual for the TV has NOTHING about Simplink (LG's HDMI-CEC solution) in it.

Now, I'm also finding out that the network upgrade capability doesn't seem to work. It's stating that my firmware version 03.02.67 is up-to-date, but I just downloaded version 03.40.08 from LG's website! Now, I get to take a step back technologically and perform the upgrade manually. Why even give the user a time-saving feature if it doesn't work? Although, it's really not that hard to put a file on a thumb drive, and plug it into the TV. The hardest part is putting it in a specific folder, but that's common for most devices as the PS3 and PSP required a similar update step.

EDIT:

I wasn't too happy with simply stating that it doesn't work because it could be my receiver that isn't working with it. So, I decided to bring my Denon AVR-2112 (the receiver that works well with my Mitsubishi) upstairs, and the LG TV pretty much would never do anything with it at all. It wouldn't turn it on, and it wouldn't turn it off. So, I'm going to say that this is probably an issue with the LG TV. Although, to be fair... I've always heard that HDMI-CEC is a pretty mixed bag, and if you get a setup that works well... consider yourself lucky. I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Last edited by Aikouka; 01-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Peppered

I use two items the one remote for comcast box it turns and turns off my tv also. I use a different remote for my receiver.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Leros
Lifer

I bought an LG 55 LM4600 a few weeks ago. I'm fairly happy with it.

The speakers are awful, so expect to invest in an external setup. They're fairly tinny, which I could probably live with. The big problem is that they distort during scenes with low frequencies (even a deep male voice will occasionally cause them to distort). I suspect that is a fairly typical experience with the newer thinner TVs as there isn't room to put good speakers in them.

Last edited by Leros; 01-22-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Peppered

Thanks for all the help all I did some more looking around and went with the.
Panasonic VIERA TC-L55ET5.
I got home late with it and need to get some 3d hdmi cable's yet so I will hook it up tomorrow and let you all no how I like it.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Leros
Lifer

Nice. That looks to be a nicer TV for only a little more than the LG.
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote