· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
EDUSAN
Golden Member

Default A game like...

Lately i have been feeling like playing a space strategy game.

I tried Sword of the Stars 2, but its damn complicated, its TOO simulator to me.

I remember playing 15 years ago a small little game that i fell in love with.

This game was Reunion
It was a sim game, but it was not TOO hardcore, and it included some other stuff that i remember being really cool

You had your planet in which you built structures for education/recreation/industry
You had your ship with a commander for each aspect. You could hire better ones later on.
You had to travel to different planets, look for what minerals you could extract from them and sometimes you would find alien species that needed something in exchange for something, so it would unlock new ships/technology for you
The game also had some kind of space battles that you couldnt control (except for having a bigger army than the opponent at the beginning) and if you lose the space battle you had to have a ground defense.

Anyone knows a game more or less like this one? with strategy and simulation but that doesnt need me to be reading my next move for 2hs in a sea of variables that i need to take care of
EDUSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Sho'Nuff
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUSAN View Post
Lately i have been feeling like playing a space strategy game.

I tried Sword of the Stars 2, but its damn complicated, its TOO simulator to me.

I remember playing 15 years ago a small little game that i fell in love with.

This game was Reunion
It was a sim game, but it was not TOO hardcore, and it included some other stuff that i remember being really cool

You had your planet in which you built structures for education/recreation/industry
You had your ship with a commander for each aspect. You could hire better ones later on.
You had to travel to different planets, look for what minerals you could extract from them and sometimes you would find alien species that needed something in exchange for something, so it would unlock new ships/technology for you
The game also had some kind of space battles that you couldnt control (except for having a bigger army than the opponent at the beginning) and if you lose the space battle you had to have a ground defense.

Anyone knows a game more or less like this one? with strategy and simulation but that doesnt need me to be reading my next move for 2hs in a sea of variables that i need to take care of
Endless space? http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/

Its similar to civilization in that it has the player establishing new colonies (towns), researching improvements, trading/warring with other factions, but it takes place in pace and has a fairly cool combat mechanic. Plus you can design/outfit your own ships, hire commanders for fleets and planets, etc.

Fairly steep learning curve, but pretty fun if you are into civilization scale strategy games.
ATOT Resident Shogun of Intellectual Property Law
Sho'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Martimus
Diamond Member

Endless Space mentioned above is the newest Space 4X game. I don't like the unintuitive gameplay, but once you get a hang of it, it is pretty fun and addicting.

Galactic Civilization 2 is my favorite Space 4X game although it is a few years old.
System: Intel i7-2600K, Corsair H60 CPU Heatsink, ASROCK P67 Extreme4, HIS HD6970, HAF-X Case, Seasonic X760 PSU, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB HD, 12X LG BluRay burner, HP ZR24w 24" Monitor, 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill 1600 DDR3 RAM (1.5V, CAS 9), Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
Martimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Annisman*

Sins of a solar empire rebellion + Maelstrom mod

/thread

^^
Gigabyte Assasin 2 X79 |3930K @ 4.4 | Crsr H100 p/p | EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB SC | 16gGskill ddr3-2133 | Samsung 830 256g SSD (OS) | 512g Crucial M4 SSD (Games) | WD Black 4TB | Asus Xonar Stx l 650ti Physx l Cooler Master Gold 1K Watt | Win7- 64 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz w/G-Sync | Sennheiser 650 l Cosmos 2
-Christian, Conservative, PC Gamer.-
Annisman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
EDUSAN
Golden Member

thanks, im gonna check that sins of a solar empire
EDUSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Annisman*

Awesome, you won't be dissapointed. You may feel overwhelmed, there is alot to learn but it is so worth it.
Gigabyte Assasin 2 X79 |3930K @ 4.4 | Crsr H100 p/p | EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB SC | 16gGskill ddr3-2133 | Samsung 830 256g SSD (OS) | 512g Crucial M4 SSD (Games) | WD Black 4TB | Asus Xonar Stx l 650ti Physx l Cooler Master Gold 1K Watt | Win7- 64 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz w/G-Sync | Sennheiser 650 l Cosmos 2
-Christian, Conservative, PC Gamer.-
Annisman* is offline   Reply With Quote