Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
giusemanuel

Default UX32VD doesn't access to bios

Hi guys, I have a ux32vd-r4002p.
I deleted all partitions on the hard-disk mechanical and I installed windows 8 on this. I have not formatted the internal ssd that consist of two partition, one of 4gb and one of 18gb as the original.
Now, when I press the del button, i can not access to the bios, and if I put a pendrive and press esc the boot windows that allows you to choose to boot from pendrive doesn't appear.
How do I fix this?

Thanks
giusemanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
giusemanuel

Help...!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Press F2 or F4, not delete.

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
giusemanuel

I press f2 or f4, but the result is the same. The notebook doesn't go in bios.
The initial screen is strange, appear the asus logo with an icon of loading and then appear windows.
I'll record a video.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
giusemanuel

this is boot of my pc. There is not intel logo, and there is a strange load.
http://youtu.be/fnbChgMxDJ4
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
lakedude
Golden Member

f10 or f12??
lakedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Schadenfreude
Lifer

During the bios boot screen there should be a blip that tells you how to access the bios settings - at which point you should be able to set up the boot settings.

My Dell's boot bios was F11 I believe - but it may depend on the manufacturer. Good luck!

HEATWARE
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
giusemanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude View Post
f10 or f12??
f10 or f12 don't function neither f11.

originally i enter in the bios presssing "canc"; after the format and the install of windows 8,i do not able to enter in the bios.

the bios boot screen is what you see in the video; appears not written anything.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
serpretetsky

First of all, on a lot of the win8 machines I have found you have to hold the uefi firmware key (esc, f2, f10, whatever) BEFORE you power the computer and keep holding it.

Most of the new windows 8 machines come with a uefi option called "fast boot" enabled by default. It makes the entire start up time wicked fast (it can also be a pain in the ass for techs).

On some machines, fast boot disables any way of getting into the uefi firmware with any hotkeys during start up.

What are you ultimately trying to do? boot to some linux os on your pendrive? Repartition a drive?
Here are the steps to get into the UEFI if you can't find ANY button to boot in.

To get into your uefi firmware, let your computer boot into windows 8, get to the charm sidebar on the right, goto settings, goto change pc settings, goto general, and select advanced boot options (this will restart your machine).

When you get to the blue screen during boot, select something like "troubleshoot" or "advanced" (can't quite remember). Then select the option to boot into your uefi firmware settings.

That's it, you are now in your uefi firmware (what used to be the bios). From here you can do whatever you need to do, you should also be able to find the "fast boot" option and disable it if you like.

If you're trying to boot to some other OS you might need to disable "secure boot" as well.
serpretetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpretetsky View Post
First of all, on a lot of the win8 machines I have found you have to hold the uefi firmware key (esc, f2, f10, whatever) BEFORE you power the computer and keep holding it.

Most of the new windows 8 machines come with a uefi option called "fast boot" enabled by default. It makes the entire start up time wicked fast (it can also be a pain in the ass for techs).

On some machines, fast boot disables any way of getting into the uefi firmware with any hotkeys during start up.

What are you ultimately trying to do? boot to some linux os on your pendrive? Repartition a drive?
Here are the steps to get into the UEFI if you can't find ANY button to boot in.

To get into your uefi firmware, let your computer boot into windows 8, get to the charm sidebar on the right, goto settings, goto change pc settings, goto general, and select advanced boot options (this will restart your machine).

When you get to the blue screen during boot, select something like "troubleshoot" or "advanced" (can't quite remember). Then select the option to boot into your uefi firmware settings.

That's it, you are now in your uefi firmware (what used to be the bios). From here you can do whatever you need to do, you should also be able to find the "fast boot" option and disable it if you like.

If you're trying to boot to some other OS you might need to disable "secure boot" as well.
Wow, that's pretty bizarro, that you have to boot Windows 8 first, in order to get into your BIOS. What happens if you've already wiped out Win8 on the boot drive, and need to get into BIOS to re-install? Are you screwed? Need to RMA?

Win8 computers, especially laptops, are just totally screwed up. Between Secure Boot and Fast Boot, and everything else. Who needs it.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
serpretetsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Wow, that's pretty bizarro, that you have to boot Windows 8 first, in order to get into your BIOS. What happens if you've already wiped out Win8 on the boot drive, and need to get into BIOS to re-install? Are you screwed? Need to RMA?

Win8 computers, especially laptops, are just totally screwed up. Between Secure Boot and Fast Boot, and everything else. Who needs it.
If you no longer have windows 8 installed, then the uefi boot process detects that you have no proper uefi boot devices, and will usually present you with a boot/setup screen.

I'm honestly not as much of an expert on this entire process as i'd like to be, and i'm still quite puzzled by parts of it myself.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
giusemanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpretetsky View Post

I followed your guide and I entered the bios, I disabled "fast boot", "secure boot" and "launch csm". Now, when you start pressing "canc" the computer enters the bios, and when press "esc" pc shown the boot option.

There is yet another problem, the my boot is incorrect.
The correct boot is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-TTTQzLU4

in comparison to mine, the screen shows the asus logo and the Intel logo and then shows the screen with the logo of windows 8 and logo of loading. While my video shows only the asus logo screen and below the logo loading and then directly enter in the operating system.

the my boot is:
http://youtu.be/fnbChgMxDJ4

are there other items in the bios that I can set to fix?

thanks to all

Last edited by giusemanuel; 01-21-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
giusemanuel

it is as if windows 8 boot and asus bios had merged (in boot phase).
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
giusemanuel

Problem solved. Because someone could help, I tell you what I did. I disabled the "fast boot" and i enabled "launch csm" in the bios. Now it appears the normal bios screen at startup with asus and intel logo, and then the logo of windows 8. At startup if i press delete normally enter in the bios.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
serpretetsky

thanks for getting back to us