· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Necc

Default Seasonic: OEM vs Retail QUALITY?

Hey there!

So...I know that OEM Seasonics are based on regular Seasonic designs, like S12II or M12D...but internal quality wise, they differ.

But to what degree to they differ? Can anyone attest to the quality differential inside the PSUs? Like, what capacitors do the OEMs use and is something missing in the OEM one?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Necc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Gigantopithecus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necc View Post
So...I know that OEM Seasonics are based on regular Seasonic designs, like S12II or M12D...but internal quality wise, they differ.
How do you know that retail SeaSonics are different from OEM SeaSonics? Typically "OEM" means the product doesn't come with retail packaging and accessories. It shouldn't mean the actual product is different.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Necc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantopithecus View Post
How do you know that retail SeaSonics are different from OEM SeaSonics? Typically "OEM" means the product doesn't come with retail packaging and accessories. It shouldn't mean the actual product is different.
If you look closely at the SS-400ET you see it having a basic look with no sleeved cables + beeing much cheaper then lets say a S12II-430B

and F.Y.I if you look closely you can see at the newegg link, the end of the SS-400ET naming you see an "OEM" sign.

Here where I live the SS-400ET can be had for almost half the price of the S12II-430B, so my question is how realible are the SS-xxxET series? Can't be that bad after all they are seasonic?

Last edited by Necc; 01-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
ericloewe

Same thing internally. OEM stuff just comes in a format OEMs like - basic stuff only.
ericloewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Gigantopithecus
Diamond Member

Ahh, gotcha. I was confused by your initial question. The two specific models you're referring to are entirely different products - not just an OEM version vs. a retail version of the same actual PSU. In any event, in my experience, the OEM models are usually pretty similar to the retail models, though sometimes the internal components vary a bit. The retail SeaSonics are usually as good as PSUs get, and the OEMs are usually just a step below the retails in terms of quality. That is, OEM SeaSonic PSUs are still very good, and better than a lot of other manufacturer's retail products.

In your case, where the OEM is half the price of the retail, I personally would not bother spending the extra money on a retail product. I've used dozens and dozens of OEM SeaSonic PSUs without issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Necc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantopithecus View Post
Ahh, gotcha. I was confused by your initial question. The two specific models you're referring to are entirely different products - not just an OEM version vs. a retail version of the same actual PSU. In any event, in my experience, the OEM models are usually pretty similar to the retail models, though sometimes the internal components vary a bit. The retail SeaSonics are usually as good as PSUs get, and the OEMs are usually just a step below the retails in terms of quality. That is, OEM SeaSonic PSUs are still very good, and better than a lot of other manufacturer's retail products.

In your case, where the OEM is half the price of the retail, I personally would not bother spending the extra money on a retail product. I've used dozens and dozens of OEM SeaSonic PSUs without issue.
Well thats the answer that iwas hoping for

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

In the past, Seasonic OEM PSUs contained Taiwan caps (Teapo and OST) and the retail units had the quality Japanese Rubycons.
i7-5820k @ 4ghz 1.12v - MSI X99S SLI Plus - Corsair H100i - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Zotac GTX 980 AMP - 256gb Adata SP900 - 3TB Seagate 7200.14 - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT Hale82 850w PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - Asrock H61MV-ITX - CM Hyper T2 - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 1TB Seagate SSHD - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Z15CAM

Maybe you should consider the XFX Pro 750 W Black Edition (P1750BBEFX) Gold, Platinum, Whatever for $120. Much better Efficiency and Ripple then the S12II or M12D and based on the latest KM3 design. - Yes it's Seasonic Xi Series or Corsair AXi.

Look up the Reviews - Here's one: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1695/1 ;o)

Last edited by Z15CAM; 01-22-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Necc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Maybe you should consider the XFX Pro 750 W Black Edition (P1750BBEFX) Gold, Platinum, Whatever for $120. Much better Efficiency and Ripple then the S12II or M12D and based on the latest KM3 design. - Yes it's Seasonic Xi Series or Corsair AXi.

Look up the Reviews - Here's one: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1695/1 ;o)
That psu looks awesome, but it's too expensive for my taste. Iwant something cheap and realible for a media center rig build. (A10-5800k, 8GB RAM and HD7770 GPU)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
bryanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvenger View Post
In the past, Seasonic OEM PSUs contained Taiwan caps (Teapo and OST) and the retail units had the quality Japanese Rubycons.
The 620W Antec recently mentioned in the Hot Deals forum is a Seasonic with Teapo capacitors, while the Seasonic branded version has a Japanese make, perhaps Chemicons.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
The 620W Antec recently mentioned in the Hot Deals forum is a Seasonic with Teapo capacitors, while the Seasonic branded version has a Japanese make, perhaps Chemicons.

I'm talking the Seasonic name brand. Not a rebadge. Antec decides what quality caps go in their power supplies.
i7-5820k @ 4ghz 1.12v - MSI X99S SLI Plus - Corsair H100i - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Zotac GTX 980 AMP - 256gb Adata SP900 - 3TB Seagate 7200.14 - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT Hale82 850w PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - Asrock H61MV-ITX - CM Hyper T2 - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 1TB Seagate SSHD - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #12
bryanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
Quote:
I'm talking the Seasonic name brand. Not a rebadge. Antec decides what quality caps go in their power supplies.
Do you mean Seasonic is rebadged Seasonic?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
JEDIYoda
Lifer

Quote:
I seriously doubt that....
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
contrvlr

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDIYoda View Post
I seriously doubt that....
SS-300ET
contrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Necc

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrvlr View Post
SS-300ET
Isn't that an S12II group design?

Intel Core i5-2500 | Asus P8H61-M LX Rev3.0 | Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz
PowerColor HD 5850 1GB | Samsung 320GB HDD | Antec Earthwatts EA-430D | Benq G2420HD | Win8 x64
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
contrvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necc View Post
Isn't that an S12II group design?
Yes
Can find a review of the 400w here
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2697/30

No little "warranty void if removed sticker" on these, so I figured I'd give a look
Seeing all Teapos wasn't to pleasing, but hey it is supposed to be the "entry level" line
contrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
SkyMonkey

Hello,

Found this post where you've shown some internal picks of the SS-300ET supply.

I have this supply running a small NAS system, and the fan has started making a clicking sound after only a few hundred hours of operation.

Since I've sleeved and modified the cables, I've voided the warranty, and am going to open it up to replace the fan.

Can you let me know if the fan is soldiered on or if there's a 2 pin header? Also, is it the same fan as is shown in the review of the 400W here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2697/30

Not looking forward to disassembling this system to get at it, as it's rather buried, so any info you can provide ahead of time would be very helpful.

Thanks,
SkyMonkey
SkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Harvey
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMonkey View Post
Hello,

Found this post where you've shown some internal picks of the SS-300ET supply.

I have this supply running a small NAS system, and the fan has started making a clicking sound after only a few hundred hours of operation.

Since I've sleeved and modified the cables, I've voided the warranty, and am going to open it up to replace the fan.

Can you let me know if the fan is soldiered on or if there's a 2 pin header? Also, is it the same fan as is shown in the review of the 400W here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2697/30

Not looking forward to disassembling this system to get at it, as it's rather buried, so any info you can provide ahead of time would be very helpful.

Thanks,
SkyMonkey
If you know how to handle a soldering iron, replacing a fan is not that difficult. Most supplies are held together with conventional phillips screws, and the fan, itself is retained by a specific type of thick, self-tapping screws.

The key issues are the size of the fan, the mounting holes, the rotation speed, the current draw (in mA or Amps), the air flow (typically in CFM - cubic ft. per minute) and the type of bushing. Ball bearings are better than sleeve bearings, and double ball bearings are better than singles.

You can probably get the specs for the orignal fan by checking the manufacturer's site or by searching Google for the make and model number or for the PSU make and model + fan. If your fan has a two pin connector, and you can only find the right fan without one, you clip the connector from the old fan (or anything else with the right connector) and solder the respective red and black leads to each other. A little heat shrink tubing will make a nice, clean assembly.

All Electronics, in Van Nuys, Ca. specializes in buying and reselling closeout lots of electronic componenents. They have a large selection of fans at very low prices. If you find one or more that looks like it would work, you can check their specs from the manufacturers and search further for any info about their reliability.

There are traitors and terrorists among us. They call themselves "Republicans." They are a greater threat to the U.S. than Al Qaeda and all the Al Qaeda wannabes. They have infested our democratic institutions with the sole objective of thwarting the will of the majority of our citizens.

And Whos's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me, who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
SkyMonkey

Thanks for the info. I managed to find some other pictures on the badcaps.net forums, and it looks like it's a 2 pin header internally.

I'll take a look at the fan model tonight, but I think it's likely the same one as was used in the 400W version reviewed here.

I'll likely use a Scythe S-FDB fan of some kind with a low starting voltage since it'll be mounted horizontally. If I can find one here locally.

Just not looking forward to taking the system apart due to the time I spent with cable management getting it together in the first place!
SkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Harvey
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMonkey View Post
Thanks for the info. I managed to find some other pictures on the badcaps.net forums, and it looks like it's a 2 pin header internally.

I'll take a look at the fan model tonight, but I think it's likely the same one as was used in the 400W version reviewed here.

I'll likely use a Scythe S-FDB fan of some kind with a low starting voltage since it'll be mounted horizontally. If I can find one here locally.

Just not looking forward to taking the system apart due to the time I spent with cable management getting it together in the first place!
Yeah, but it beats the hell out of waiting until the fan fails, and the PSU smokes.

A clicking noise from a fan is unusual so, before you tear too much of it apart, double check by booting the system with the case open to make sure there isn't a stray wire, piece of tie wrap, etc. rubbing or poking into some fan in the system (PSU, CPU, vid card).

Good luck.

There are traitors and terrorists among us. They call themselves "Republicans." They are a greater threat to the U.S. than Al Qaeda and all the Al Qaeda wannabes. They have infested our democratic institutions with the sole objective of thwarting the will of the majority of our citizens.

And Whos's Watching Over Who's Watching Over You?
Tell me, who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote