· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
blackrain
Golden Member

Default How to extend my router to the basement through one connection?

I have decided to move my wireless router from the basement to the 1st floor so it is closer to other PCs in the house. Part of my basement is unfinished which gives me the ability to run ethernet cables between the basement and the 1st floor.

I have 3-4 devices (HTPC, xbox, ps3, projector, etc) in the basement that I would like to connect to the 1st floor router with ethernet cable. Instead of running all 3-4 cables separately to my router, I am looking for some kind of intermediary device that would ideally work as follows:

(1) Connect 1st floor router to intermediate device in basement via only 1 ethernet cable to provide internet signal to that device
(2) Connect my 3-4 basement devices to the intermediate device in the basement to receive internet.

Not sure if I just need a network hub, switch, etc as the intermediate device since I really don't understand the differences well.

BTW, I dug up an old Asante 10T hub from the 90s that still works. This thing looks ancient, but I wonder if it will get the job done for now until I order something better. I see 12 ports all lined up in the back. But its not clear too me where I plug in the ethernet cable from the router. On the front, I see a BNC and a AUI connector which I believe are legacy connectors.

So, just wondering if this hub will work for now (will probably try it out later today) and what I should be looking to buy as a more permanent solution.

Last edited by blackrain; 01-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Mixolydian
Lifer

Run an Ethernet line from the router to an Ethernet switch in the basement, then connect the devices in the basement to said switch.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Leave everything as is.

Run a cable to the 1st floor and connect there a second Wireless Router configured a Switch with an Access Point.

Using Access Points or Wireless Cable/DSL Routers as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Which Wireless Router to use? It depends o you specific needs.

Money is Not an issue. Asus RT-N66U -RT-N66U

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091

Best value for the price. Cisco E4200 refurb.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Rou...VVviewprod.htm

I want sub $100 and new (I am allergic to refurb.) BUFFALO WZR-600DHP HighPower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162070

--------------

I want to spend less and do not care about Giga, and NAS, but need good Wireless.

This is decent Wireless Router with Dual radio.

Cisco E2500 refurb. $35.

--------------
Dual Band Wireless Card - Rosewill USB $24

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166046

Last edited by JackMDS; 01-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
JackMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Switch in the basement. One cable from switch up to router on 1st floor. Profit.

Get an 8 port so you can connect all 4 devices.

Good luck with the 10T hub...lol.

ch33zw1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
Leave everything as is.

Run a cable to the 1st floor and connect there a second Wireless Router configured a Switch with an Access Point.

Using Access Points or Wireless Cable/DSL Routers as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Which Wireless Router to use? It depends o you specific needs.

Money is Not an issue. Asus RT-N66U -RT-N66U

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091

Best value for the price. Cisco E4200 refurb.

I want sub $100 and new (I am allergic to refurb.) BUFFALO WZR-600DHP HighPower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162070

--------------

I want to spend less and do not care about Giga, and NAS, but need good Wireless.

This is decent Wireless Router with Dual radio.

Cisco E2500 refurb. $35.

--------------
Dual Band Wireless Card - Rosewill USB $24

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166046

First thing is that I have an ethernet cable already running from my basement to the first floor.

Second thing is that I tried out the Asante Hub and it works great (I think?). All of my devices in the basement seem to be getting Internet.

It would be very easy for me to put my main router on the 1st floor connected to the Hub.

But I guess that hub won't last forever. I do have a Netgear WNDR4300 that I got on clearance for half off. Seems like it has really good reviews.

So I would connect the WRT54G (basement) to the WNDR4300 (1st floor)?

And the Netgear device will send the signal to the 2nd floor?

Note that I also have a Linksys WAP54G as an access point that doesn't seem to be working so well. So I am hoping that I can move it to the 2nd floor to be closer to the PCs on the 2nd floor.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33zw1z View Post
Switch in the basement. One cable from switch up to router on 1st floor. Profit.

Actually the 10T hub connected my devices just fine....lol
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
Actually the 10T hub connected my devices just fine....lol
no doubt. just start using all of them at once...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:

Will any switch do? Can I get the cheapest one? Or should I use my WRT54G as a switch and my WNDR4300 as the main router on the 1st floor. You and JackMDS seem to have contradictory suggestions since he says to leave everything as is in the basement.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
Will any switch do? Can I get the cheapest one? Or should I use my WRT54G as a switch and my WNDR4300 as the main router on the 1st floor. You and JackMDS seem to have contradictory suggestions since he says to leave everything as is in the basement.
It doesn't really matter which way you do it. His suggestion is to extend the wireless network if I skimmed it correctly

I don't "agree" because WLAN is a PITB in my opinion, and I prefer to extend a wired connection over a wireless, especially if you have an open basement that makes it easy.

Others can chime in, but something like this seems to be popular lately:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156251

doesn't have to be exactly that one, but for $30 you can't beat having 7 ports available..

Last edited by ch33zw1z; 01-22-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
It doesn't really matter which way you do it. His suggestion is to extend the wireless network.

I don't "agree" because WLAN is a PITB in my opinion, and I prefer to extend a wired connection over a wireless, especially if you have an open basement that makes it easy.

Agree 100% with everything in this post. Wired beats wireless every time.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
It doesn't really matter which way you do it. His suggestion is to extend the wireless network if I skimmed it correctly

doesn't have to be exactly that one, but for $30 you can't beat having 7 ports available..
I would definitely prefer wired over wireless. If I didn't think it would cost a fortune to run wires behind or through walls, I would have my house wired so that every PC was on an ethernet cable.

So I can't just use one of my routers as a switch instead of buying a new one?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
I would definitely prefer wired over wireless. If I didn't think it would cost a fortune to run wires behind or through walls, I would have my house wired so that every PC was on an ethernet cable. So I can't just use one of my routers as a switch instead of buying a new one?
sure you can. You'll be able to have 3 devices, and the 4th port is the uplink to the main router. If all you need is to extend the wireless, the go with Jack's suggestion.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:

Just to put this whole thing in perspective for you:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...ight=blackrain

I really liked AnonymousUser idea to move the router to the middle of the house.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
Just to put this whole thing in perspective for you:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...ight=blackrain

I really liked AnonymousUser idea to move the router to the middle of the house.
Then put the 2nd router in the basement, disable the wireless if you don't need it, and use it as a switch

Just remember not to use the WAN port on the 2nd router, unless you want to config the basement as a different subnet.

Last edited by ch33zw1z; 01-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Just remember not to use the WAN port on the 2nd router, unless you want to config the basement as a different subnet.
Or if the firmware allows using the WAN as an extra LAN when DHCP is off.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Or if the firmware allows using the WAN as an extra LAN when DHCP is off.
Not sure I've seen a stock firmware that allows this...but yea, go for it if that option is there. I'm just trying to keep it simple for the OP.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
Then put the 2nd router in the basement, disable the wireless if you don't need it, and use it as a switch

First, thanks for your continuing support and responses.

Now, can you clarify which router should be the main router (which sends the wireless signal to the others PCs in the house) and which router should be the switch that links to the devices downstairs?

Another question: I may want to use my tablet or laptop in the finished portion of the basement. As I understand it, the router (as a switch) will not be providing any kind of wireless signal. The switch will be there just to provide internet via ethernet, correct?

What if I have a weak signal in the basement? Add a repeater in the basement?

Just need a sanity check for the plan so I hope you don't mind if I bounce the overall plan off of you.

Plan A:
(1) Netgear WNDR4300 as main router (I think this makes the most sense) on the 1st floor.
(2) Netgear connected to Linksys WRT54G switch in the basement for ps3, xbox, and HTPC
(3) Access Point (WAP54G or similar in basement for enhancement of signal)
(4) Access Point (WAP54G or similar on second floor for enhancement of signal)

Plan B:
(1) Netgear WNDR4300 as main router (I think this makes the most sense) on the 1st floor.
(2) Netgear connected to Trendnet 8-port switch in the basement for ps3, xbox, and HTPC
(3) Access Point (Can the WRT54G be an access point?)
(4) Access Point (WAP54G or similar on second floor for enhancement of signal)

Obviously, I am trying to use what I have without having to buy anything else.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
s44
Diamond Member

Plan A1:
(1) Netgear as main on 1st
(2) WRT54G in "Access Point" mode in basement
(3) Don't use the WAN to connect anything to (2); also disable DHCP and set a static IP outside (1)'s DHCP range (i.e. if (1) is at 192.168.1.1 and gives addresses from 192.168.1.100-199, set (2) to 192.168.1.10)
(4) Profit

Note that the WRT54G doesn't have gigabit, so anything in the basement will be limited by that. Probably won't matter unless you're running a server or something down there. Also its signal will be at G speeds. Don't try streaming HD or anything.

Last edited by s44; 01-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Plan A will work, follow Jack's post.

You'll get the main router (WNDR4300) up to a better location, and you can use the 54G in the basement to extend the signal if needed.

I would, personally, go with B simply because it add's the extra Gbit swith in there, and the WNDR4300 is Gbit based on my googling.

Either plan should work fine, and if you're not happy with the LAN performance, you can always get the Gbit switch later on. You may find that you're happy and don't need it!

edit: s44 beat me to it, you get the idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Plan A1:
(1) Netgear as main on 1st
(2) WRT54G in "Access Point" mode in basement
(3) Don't use the WAN to connect anything to (2); also disable DHCP and set a static IP outside (1)'s DHCP range (i.e. if (1) is at 192.168.1.1 and gives addresses from 192.168.1.100-199, set (2) to 192.168.1.10)
(4) Profit

Note that the WRT54G doesn't have gigabit, so anything in the basement will be limited by that. Probably won't matter unless you're running a server or something down there. Also its signal will be at G speeds. Don't try streaming HD or anything.
The WLAN will be 54g, but he's not planning on using anything on the wireless but hte laptop..

The LAN will be at 100Mbit, You may or may not be able to get away with an HD stream on that, depends on what else is going on.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Something does not "jive" in your initial plan.

The trick is Not just to do something that work but does not work well according to networking standards.

I do not know where your Modem is and if it is Modem only or Modem Router/combo but your initial plan "smell" double NAT or some other concussion that will end up with crappy network.

The trick is Not just to do something that work but would have collisions, packet lose, crappy central G Wireless, and does not work well according to networking standards.

The trick is to learn and do it the right way.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
ch33zw1z
Lifer

Quote:

The trick is Not just to do something that work but does not work well according to networking standards.

I do not know where your Modem is and if it is Modem only or Modem Router/combo but your initial plan "smell" double NAT or some other concussion that will end up with crappy network.

The trick is Not just to do something that work but would have collisions, packet lose, crappy central G Wireless, and does not work well according to networking standards.

If the modem is in the basement and cannot be moved to the same location as the main router, then a second cable run will need to be made from the modem to the main router's WAN port

This is a good point Jack, easily overlooked.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:

I have a VOIP cable modem that is connected to the router right now in the basement. But it can easily come up to the 1st floor and be connected to the Netgear WNDR4300. I am wired for that on the 1st floor already.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
The WLAN will be 54g, but he's not planning on using anything on the wireless but hte laptop..

The LAN will be at 100Mbit, You may or may not be able to get away with an HD stream on that, depends on what else is going on.
I plan to use the wireless from the Netgear router for 2 PCs on the 2nd floor as well as tablets/laptops anywhere else in the house.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
blackrain
Golden Member

Quote:
Plan A will work, follow Jack's post.

You'll get the main router (WNDR4300) up to a better location, and you can use the 54G in the basement to extend the signal if needed.

I would, personally, go with B simply because it add's the extra Gbit swith in there, and the WNDR4300 is Gbit based on my googling.

Either plan should work fine, and if you're not happy with the LAN performance, you can always get the Gbit switch later on. You may find that you're happy and don't need it!

edit: s44 beat me to it, you get the idea.
Thanks. Do you have any opinion w/r/t 2.4Ghz vs 5ghz? It looks like the 5Ghz access points are $80+.

Would I need this for all of my devices including laptops?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704135

Last edited by blackrain; 01-22-2013 at 04:12 PM.