· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
max347
Platinum Member

Default (SG07 PSU) Short ATX PSU Bronze/Silver certified? Any ideas?

I need a new PSU for my SG07 case, which requires a depth of 5.6" or less. I want it to be better (more efficient) than my last one if possible (600w Silverstone Bronze Plus). The only two I can find are these-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256085

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256086

All of the other Plus certified psus on Newegg are longer than 5.6". Anyone have any ideas?
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
max347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
MicahC

it looks like you have two ideas already. I'd look for more reviews, 2 data points is not statistically valid.
MicahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
lehtv
Diamond Member

If you're fine with the cost, the ST55F-G is a great choice. What components are you putting in? Maybe you could get away with an ST45F-G $85 AR? It's SFX but ATX-compatible with an adapter.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
max347
Platinum Member

Yeah I was thinking about the 450. It would probably be fine, I have a 2600k and a 6970. Only one ssd and slim optical drive.

One issue I just thought of today, unfortunately, is that I am not sure a modular psu would work in my case. It is hard to explain, but the psu needs to only be 5.6" deep because the graphics card goes right next to it. With a modular unit, the whole face of the psu is used for connectors, which will add a lot bulk right behind the gpu backplate (if they will even fit).

I think I may just put a saved search on ebay for an exact replacement. Oh well
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
max347
Platinum Member

For all the googlers out there, this is what I bought-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103085

I will report back if I run into any problems
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
GeeKayCee

All the best wishes with your new PSU.

However, may I ask, what exactly was the motivation to get the more efficient/expensive PSU?
GeeKayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
max347
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeKayCee View Post
All the best wishes with your new PSU.

However, may I ask, what exactly was the motivation to get the more efficient/expensive PSU?
Thanks

There was nothing wrong with my old psu. Unfortunately a psu on a customers build went bad and I had no psus on hand...to get them going again right away, I just gave them my psu and figured I'd upgrade
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
GeeKayCee

Alright, I can imagine you had to handle quick.

The reason for the aformentioned question is this: many users believe that Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc. PSU will give a PC more power, some think that it can save them money, so I was wondering about this particular example.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
max347
Platinum Member

Oh I understand. Well, I don't need more power, just powering a single card setup. Anything over silver certified is going to be way better build quality usually. I know I'll save *some* money, but I am not counting on a return on investment, just something 'good'.
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
GeeKayCee

Cool. Thanks for the info)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
lehtv
Diamond Member

Efficiency does not guarantee higher build quality. Cheap but efficient units from cheap manufacturers will still be cheaply made, they usually don't even compare to less efficient units from reputable manufacturers in terms of build quality.

I'm not saying the Sparkle unit is bad however. Sparkle just isn't a well known PSU brand and their units have not been tested much, so there's not much to go on apart from specs. Given specs it does look good (5 yr warranty, 552W on the +12V)

Last edited by lehtv; 01-19-2013 at 01:58 AM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
max347
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
Efficiency does not guarantee higher build quality. Cheap but efficient units from cheap manufacturers will still be cheaply made, they usually don't even compare to less efficient units from reputable manufacturers in terms of build quality.

I'm not saying the Sparkle unit is bad however. Sparkle just isn't a well known PSU brand and their units have not been tested much, so there's not much to go on apart from specs. Given specs it does look good (5 yr warranty, 552W on the +12V)
Well let me start by saying I am not defending the company. However, nothing *guarantees* higher build quality. The fact is that to efficiently meet these standards without losing money, a psu company *must* build something with higher quality than their base line to consistenly be score better numbers. That is to say, that it is more effective for a company to eliminate variance in their build quality than to attempt to maintain a certain efficiency level while 'staying in tolerance' during production.

The differentiation here, is that you could build a psu that meets level x. However, of course there are variations in manufacturing, so they must set their average production unit at a level of x+2 (lets just say 2% more efficient than it needs to be for certification). That way, if you get a bum psu off the line that is on the very low side of tolerances, it is still more effieicnt than the certification level.
This means that they are wasting money building every power supply up an additional 2%. Instead, they reduce the *variance* in the manufacturing process so that all psus are more 'perfect' to design. Got me so far?

So in reducing the variance, they are making a psu that is not 'to engineers' specifications' but additionally has fewer potential flaws after a certain time. That is why you will see basic power supplies with a 1-3 year warranty, while most of the better ones have 5-10 year warranties.

Again, I am not defending Sparkle, just explaining the logic. However, to say that Sparkle is a little known brand is pretty funny. SPI has been making psus for OEMs since rocks were invented. They don't market themselves for gaming enthusiasts, so it is unlikely you will find reviews. Again, not defending them, but I just got this thing in the mail today and I am very impressed at its build feel. I'm not going to open it up and void the warranty, but it feels nicer than the antec unit I have sitting here.
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
lehtv
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max347
However, to say that Sparkle is a little known brand is pretty funny. SPI has been making psus for OEMs since rocks were invented.
Being in the business for a long time is different from being well known. And of course I'm talking about their visibility and reputation to consumers and the retail market, not to OEMs.

Quote:
but it feels nicer than the antec unit I have sitting here.
I hope you realize this says nothing about quality or reliability.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
max347
Platinum Member

Quote:
Being in the business for a long time is different from being well known. And of course I'm talking about their visibility and reputation to consumers and the retail market, not to OEMs.
What does it matter how much money they put into their marketing department? I am not disagreeing with you- they don't have visibility. My point was that a company does not stay in business very long with OEMs if their products are not reliable. OEMs don't require good looks, features, or even the highest performance. But they do require reliability.

Quote:
I hope you realize this says nothing about quality or reliability.
C'mon man, why be condescending? Make an informed contribution or just leave it be. Of course the feel of a power supply does not guarantee quality, but it certainly does say *something* about quality. Pull the psu out of a new apevia case/psu combo and feel it. Then grab a CX430. I really doubt you would not be able to guess which one will last long even with your eyes closed.

We get it, you doubt Sparkle. But I would really recommend you try one out in person.
16GB DDR3 1866@ 2133mhz
Corsair 240gb GS
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
lehtv
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max347 View Post
What does it matter how much money they put into their marketing department?
Did someone say it does?

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you- they don't have visibility. My point was that a company does not stay in business very long with OEMs if their products are not reliable.
Assumption. I doubt OEMs test whether the product can output its advertised load cleanly and whether it's good for long-term gaming grade load levels rather than simple office duty. Instead, they trust the specifications and certifications, then put the product to use and if they don't get a significant amount of reports of failed units, there's nothing to complain about.

Quote:
C'mon man, why be condescending? Make an informed contribution or just leave it be. Of course the feel of a power supply does not guarantee quality, but it certainly does say *something* about quality.
No, it says *nothing* about the quality of internal components. You could equally well argue that the solid, polished surface of an otherwise inexpensive unit says the internal components are likely to be bad quality. They have to cheap out somewhere.

Quote:
We get it
Who's we?

Quote:
you doubt Sparkle. But I would really recommend you try one out in person.
Of course I doubt Sparkle. You should be doubting it too. And, forgive me if I'm sounding condescending, but I hope you realize that's not the same as believing they are not good quality. It is simply lack of trust due to not having enough facts to prove otherwise. When I see some professional tests that conclude their units are stable and work as advertized, I'll be inclined to trust them. Trying it out myself doesn't count because I don't have the necessary means to properly test the unit.

Last edited by lehtv; 01-22-2013 at 03:44 PM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote