Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
Humpy
Senior Member
 
Humpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
To put things in perspective, almost a hundred people are killed everyday in car accidents in this country.
To really puts things in perspective, this country has the capacity to manufacture 1,050,000,000 sheets of drywall per year.
Humpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
randomrogue
Diamond Member
 
randomrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,462
Default

To put things in perspective a full grown Pigeon has about 10,000 feathers and beats its wings up to ten times per second, while maintaining a heart rate of 600 beats per minute up to 16 hours without rest.

Also, one retard at a gun show will probably get in trouble and get his ass sued off. Next story...
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Slew Foot
Lifer
 
Slew Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pen Island
Posts: 11,011
Default

Theres always got to be one idiot that ruins things for everyone
Slew Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
monovillage
Diamond Member
 
monovillage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 8,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
TPM has a paywalled private area called "Prime". I joined there a couple of months ago because I was interested, and because I wanted to express support for the site's founder. TPM is left-leaning generally, which I knew about, but I find the site informative.

I got along pretty well with most of the people there -- at first. To be honest, I found the place rather dull due to little disagreement on anything. Anyway, as soon as Newtown happened and people started gun control discussions, I learned first hand that the private forum is REALLY left-leaning.

I am literally the only person on this forum who doesn't think gun owners are evil and that we should institute more laws immediately. And I'm far from an extremist on the subject. Every thread on the topic consists either of an echo chamber of agreement, or if I post, everyone dogpiling me.

It's pretty amazing.
Thanks for the reply CK, it's my opinion that the right is not the only side that has it's share of extreme info sites. (Breitbart, red state, blazing....etc.) I always try to post more reasonable informative sites when I can.

Also a bit off topic, but my favorite climate site has a very good article on blog etiquette. Very applicable and well worth the read.
http://judithcurry.com/2013/01/18/bl...ing-etiquette/
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
I own guns and enjoy shooting, but you won't catch me at a gun show or public range. There's a lot of stupid people out there, and gun owners certainly aren't exempt.
Agreed. Regardless if a person is for or against the second amendment, one certainty is that there are a lot of dumbasses out there, naturally there are a lot of idiots owning guns as well.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
It really is. These damned imbeciles, really, you go to a gun show to sell your shotgun and it's LOADED?
I've never been to a gun show that doesn't check and band firearms brought in at the door. Granted, they don't search you, so they may have brought them in concealed.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo_Jowo View Post
Have you ever owned a Glock? I've owned 3 and couldn't get any of them to fire without engaging the trigger safety.
That's because it can't, it's not physically possible.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
That's because it can't, it's not physically possible.
Tom is an idiot that doesn't understand how firearms work or the current laws related to them. He wants to make laws on guns and their safety mechanism without any knowledge what so ever.

So all new firearms have those chamber/action locks? What's the first thing you do when you by one?

You throw that away.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

It's this kind of incidents that is making it too easy of a battle for the left to get what they want. I'm for a law that says you have to be of average IQ and intelligence to be able to own a gun.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
BladeVenom
Lifer
 
BladeVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,542
Default

I wonder if the media will report how many murders, rapes, and shootings are committed by blacks on MLK Day?

Do you want to compare guns shows to a left wing movement?
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
disappoint
Diamond Member
 
disappoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
To put things in perspective, almost a hundred people are killed everyday in car accidents in this country.
I looked through a magazine the missionary's wife concealed (Mogozine? Whot hoppens?)
I see how people who are civilized bung you with automobiles (You know you can get hurt that way Daniel?)
At the movies they have got to pay many coconuts to see (What do they see, Darling?)
Uncivilized pictures that the newsreel takes of me...

ooooooooh bongo bongo bongo I don't wonna leave the congo oh no no no no noooooo.....
__________________
A man can't keep people from having a bad opinion of him, but he can keep them from being right about it.
We give evil it's greatest power through our belief in it.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been put up to a critic." -Jean Sibelius
Per aspera ad astra: Through hardship to the stars.
disappoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
Tom
Lifer
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Ohioan living in Tennessee
Posts: 13,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj0hnx View Post
That's because it can't, it's not physically possible.
that isn't the point. the point is its possible to fire unintentionally.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/729088/posts
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #38
Hyraxxx
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokus View Post
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...-gun?ref=fpblg

And these were 3 seperate events too. You can't make this shit up. It's like free advertising to the anti-gun crowd.
I am sorry. The only thing I can come up with is... So?
Hyraxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #39
ivwshane
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
I wonder if the media will report how many murders, rapes, and shootings are committed by blacks on MLK Day?

Do you want to compare guns shows to a left wing movement?
Nice! Another stupid apples to oranges comparison. Do you fucking morons have any debate skills at all?

All this story is is ironic. It's ironic because of current events and all the gun nuts coming out of the woodwork to "try" and add substance to the debate.

It's a non issue because less people are shot/killed at gun shows than are killed or injured by lightning every year.


Instead you fucking idiots fly off the handle and make the stupidest claims and analogies.
__________________
System Specs
ivwshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #40
xj0hnx
Diamond Member
 
xj0hnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
that isn't the point. the point is its possible to fire unintentionally.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/729088/posts
To fire it unintentionally someone has to have their finger on the trigger and squeeze it.

And just so you know, it is just as possible to unintentionally fire a handgun with an external safety. Human error.
__________________
www.svc.com

i7 920 | EVGA X58 E758-A1 | HIS HD6870 |12GB Crucial DDR3 | 5.5TB | OS X 10.6.8

Heat
xj0hnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #41
Gerle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
that isn't the point. the point is its possible to fire unintentionally.
Please change the design in a manner as to make that impossible. Don't post until you have completed your task.
Gerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #42
umbrella39
Lifer
 
umbrella39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
Obama is to blame for this. Because of his agenda, words, deeds and actions tons of Americans have purchased their first firearm. Unfortunately because of Obama that will mean more accidents.
Awe..... Nobody is taking your troll bait any more you confused twat. Perhaps a new account would be better for your dumbfuck disconnected Obama rants...
umbrella39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #43
BladeVenom
Lifer
 
BladeVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
Nice! Another stupid apples to oranges comparison. Do you fucking morons have any debate skills at all?
Ad hominem, you lose. Do you have any idea how ironic your post is? I guess not.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #44
TallBill
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Washington
Posts: 44,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
Nice! Another stupid apples to oranges comparison. Do you fucking morons have any debate skills at all?

All this story is is ironic. It's ironic because of current events and all the gun nuts coming out of the woodwork to "try" and add substance to the debate.

It's a non issue because less people are shot/killed at gun shows than are killed or injured by lightning every year.


Instead you fucking idiots fly off the handle and make the stupidest claims and analogies.
Um, don't lump everyone into the you guys category. I don't lump all anti-gun people into one. Turns out that the vast majority are highly highly uneducated on firearms and quite a few are willing to at least listen.
TallBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #45
ivwshane
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
Ad hominem, you lose. Do you have any idea how ironic your post is? I guess not.
Maybe you could only quote part of my post to make your point...oh you did just that.

Thanks for proving my point
__________________
System Specs
ivwshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #46
ivwshane
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 8,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBill View Post
Um, don't lump everyone into the you guys category. I don't lump all anti-gun people into one. Turns out that the vast majority are highly highly uneducated on firearms and quite a few are willing to at least listen.
Have you said any stupid shit in this thread? No? Then I'm not talking about you.

There are plenty of pro gun people that are reasoned and can be talked to, these assholes aren't them. They represent an extreme and loud view that drown out any real conversation.
__________________
System Specs
ivwshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #47
TallBill
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Washington
Posts: 44,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
Have you said any stupid shit in this thread? No? Then I'm not talking about you.

There are plenty of pro gun people that are reasoned and can be talked to, these assholes aren't them. They represent an extreme and loud view that drown out any real conversation.
No, I just don't like group associations, not that is be offended. I do agree that the gun show shootings are ironic. I haven't confirmed it but apparently one of them might have been a police officer responsible for clearing firearms entering the building. I'm not super interested because single cases, even when reported together don't really interest me. If CNN reported every single person that Has died of the flu this winter there would be widespread flu panic.
TallBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #48
FerrelGeek
Platinum Member
 
FerrelGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo_Jowo View Post
Rule #1 Always consider a gun to be loaded until proven otherwise.
And even then, you treat the gun as if it were still loaded.

ALWAYS point the muzzle of your gun in a safe direction - no exceptions.

NEVER put your finger on the trigger unless you are prepared to shoot and gun is pointed at the thing that you intend to shoot.

Sadly, we let morons own guns. And by moron, I mean the kind that are unwilling or incapable of following the 4 simple rules, above.

As to cars.. There are plenty of morons who shouldn't be driving either. People who text and drive should be dragged out of their cars and beaten mercilessly. These a**hats that weave in and out of different lanes should lose their license for 30 days. People that cut you off to pull in the left hand lane and then drive 10 mph UNDER the speed limit should be sent to Germany and forced to drive on the autobahns for 6 months. I could go on for quite a bit on this. You want to save lives in the US? Crack down mercilessly on braindead, rude, malicious drivers.
FerrelGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #49
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 36,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella39 View Post
Awe..... Nobody is taking your troll bait any more you confused twat. Perhaps a new account would be better for your dumbfuck disconnected Obama rants...
Nobody except you.
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #50
Zargon
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 11,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
that isn't the point. the point is its possible to fire unintentionally.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/729088/posts
you pull the trigger or you dont


intention doesnt matter

that guy that did it 3 times in a year or whatever should be fired, because hes an idiot

being an idiot doesnt mean stuff should get banned
__________________
heatware | steam | ebay
Reaumur(Gamer): Silverstone Raven02, Antec HCG900, Z77 Fata1ity/3770K, 16GB DDR3-1833, 2x7950@1Ghz, 27" IPS
Kelvin(3D-HTPC):Q9550 w/H50, P5G41, 4GB DDR2-1066, 5870 w accellero xtreme
Chill(Server): Thuban x6@3.3 wH50 8gb ddr3 4x1.5tb ESXi
Zargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.