· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
s44
Diamond Member

Default Moto is doing *what* now!?

OK, this isn't a bad way to show that the new Googlorola is a new beast from the old bad Moto, but hasn't every single person who bought the original Atrix now upgraded to something new?
Moto soak-testing ICS for Atrix 4G

I guess it does up the resale value a bit.

And yes, the new Moto product VP has just promised to keep all their update promises going forward.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Deeko
Lifer

Not necessarily - not everyone that bought an Atrix bought it right when it was released, so some people might still be under contract, and there are plenty of people out there that don't immediately upgrade their phone when the contract is up, too. So, I say good on Motorola.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Time to just get your $100 credit from Motorola and move on I think.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member

I know 3 people still using an Atrix.

Its a capable enough phone for tons of people and still sells for $150 or more used.

I feel any dual core phone should receive at least ICS
Console: PS4
thebigbolgna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
taht's not how it works.
The phone must be free of defects and in resellable condition so that the company you send it to can resell it.
You have to use the money to activate a new, contract phone.
It's far from a $100 check.
soccerballtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
taht's not how it works.
The phone must be free of defects and in resellable condition so that the company you send it to can resell it.
You have to use the money to activate a new, contract phone.
It's far from a $100 check.
And if they ever offer you $100, that means you can get much more selling it yourself.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
And if they ever offer you $100, that means you can get much more selling it yourself.
yes.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
You can sell those phones for $150-$200 on Craigslist.
Well more than the $100 credit that Motorola is trying to offer them for.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Haha, you have to actually trade in your old phone for this $100 credit? Here I thought Motorola was actually trying to do something cool for people that got screwed out of Jelly Bean. Ya'll are right, it's not much of a deal after all then.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
GrumpyMan
Diamond Member

I still use an original Atrix and my contract will be over this February. But I don't update phones like my skinny jeans brethren do. I use them until they stop working, so this update will at least be something new to look at. Phone still works fine by the way. If I ever do move on it will be a Note 2 or 3 when that time comes..
GrumpyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
badb0y
Diamond Member

The Atrix was a terrible phone.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
soccerballtux
Lifer

I agree. It's ugly. Still bought one though, was cheap on craigslist.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
GrumpyMan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badb0y View Post

And skinny jeans are terrible pants, yet men still wear them. Compared to what when it first came out? Even Anand gave it glowing reviews too when it first came out. Makes calls just fine. And calling it ugly is really strange since it is rectangular with rounded corners and of even thickness. In other words, like every single other phone out there.

Last edited by GrumpyMan; 01-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMan View Post
And skinny jeans are terrible pants, yet men still wear them. Compared to what when it first came out? Even Anand gave it glowing reviews too when it first came out. Makes calls just fine. And calling it ugly is really strange since it is rectangular with rounded corners and of even thickness. In other words, like every single other phone out there.
mainly the bezel around the screen is too thick, and rounded top/bottom like GS3 is too visually "busy"
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
It wasn't that bad. Until the GS2 some considered it the best Android phone on ATT. It was good enough for me to leave my iphone 4 in the dust.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
s44
Diamond Member

The best feature of the Atrix is, sadly, the one that didn't catch on: fingerprint unlock. So elegant. Perhaps the failure rate was too high?
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
badb0y
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
It wasn't that bad. Until the GS2 some considered it the best Android phone on ATT. It was good enough for me to leave my iphone 4 in the dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMan View Post
I remember the Atrix quite well since I absolutely hated it for the 6 months I had to endure that piece of crap.

The phone was a disappointment right off the bat. I was told this was going to be an amazing dual core phone and everything would nice and smooth. The first thing I noticed when I turned the phone on was UI lag. How the hell does a brand new Atrix have UI lag when my then aging iPhone 4 wasn't? It was so goddamn disappointing....The screen was horrendous, I didn't realize how bad pentile was until I used the Atrix, I didn't think I would notice it but clearly I was wrong.

Next, after using the phone for a month it started to make creaking noises when you would hold it a certain way or if I pressed on the screen too hard. Strong build quality Moto...

Some of the apps I was trying to make it work with, did't support the phone. Web browsing sucked, Phone would reboot from time to time etc.

Some positive things about the phone were the screen size. I thought 4 inches was the perfect size for a phone after using the Atrix since it was easy to use. The fingerprint unlock was pretty slick but I just stopped using it after a while. It was not that heavy which I liked because I hate bulky phones.

Also Bootloader was locked for a while on that phone too.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
I remember the Atrix quite well since I absolutely hated it for the 6 months I had to endure that piece of crap.

The phone was a disappointment right off the bat. I was told this was going to be an amazing dual core phone and everything would nice and smooth. The first thing I noticed when I turned the phone on was UI lag. How the hell does a brand new Atrix have UI lag when my then aging iPhone 4 wasn't? It was so goddamn disappointing....The screen was horrendous, I didn't realize how bad pentile was until I used the Atrix, I didn't think I would notice it but clearly I was wrong.

Next, after using the phone for a month it started to make creaking noises when you would hold it a certain way or if I pressed on the screen too hard. Strong build quality Moto...

Some of the apps I was trying to make it work with, did't support the phone. Web browsing sucked, Phone would reboot from time to time etc.

Some positive things about the phone were the screen size. I thought 4 inches was the perfect size for a phone after using the Atrix since it was easy to use. The fingerprint unlock was pretty slick but I just stopped using it after a while. It was not that heavy which I liked because I hate bulky phones.

Also Bootloader was locked for a while on that phone too.
What you witnessed was "MotoBlur" in action.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
MagickMan
Diamond Member

F*** Moto, getting stuck with GB on my Photon 4G is why I've blacklisted them. Now I just use it as a clock radio, with the HD dock. I suppose it's decent for that.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." - Henry VI, Pt. II: Act 4, Scn 2
MagickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
GrumpyMan
Diamond Member

It never ceases to amaze me the strong emotions phones evoke in people. I didn't have any of those problems, I agree that Moto Blur was not all that and a bit laggy, but being my first Andriod phone and coming from Razor dumb phones, I didn't know any better. And I don't give a rat's ass about Pentile or whatever screens. Still functions well, battery lasts a couple days, finger print scanner works great and call quality is good, all I care about in any phone.
I do like the new Note 2 however, which will most likely be my next phone. I'm sure somebody somewhere is just going to hate it and tell me what a piece of crap it is however. Matters not.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
dguy6789
Diamond Member

The people on this forum just tend to hate on all phones. They'll say a given phone is crap if another phone exists that is 200Mhz faster or if the phone didn't get the latest Android update 1 second after Google announced it. Nothing to see here.
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote