· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #226
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:26 PM.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #227
purbeast0
Lifer

this is just retarded that you are trying to compare steam on pc to xbox live on 360. their primary use is two totally different concepts.

those of us talking about xbox live being the "best online component" in the console forum, we are talking about what exists in the present time, on consoles. it is the best among 360, ps3, and wii. as to what "best" means, its obviously personal opinion. but those of us saying it is the "best" is in regards to the online multiplayer experience. sure you have to pay $3/mo for it, but you get what you pay for with the other consoles that are currently out.

not even sure why you are comparing the revenue from steam, whos primary usage is to distribute full retail games, when xbox live gold's primary function is to allow you to play online using the xbox live integration.

additionally, many of us have been console games well before 360 came out, and before that, if you wanted to game on xbox, other than using system link, you had to pay for "xbox live". there was no silver or gold, just xbox live. and that terminology carried over to the 360 when it came out - the pay service was short handed as "xbox live".

it's retarded that you are trying to be nitpicky about semantics of "xbox live" and "xbox live gold".

it is also funny how you are claiming steambox a clear cut winner in the online console market this early, when as you even said, there has hardly been any information on what is coming on the next sony and microsoft offering.

care to share all of this information about the online offerings from this steam box, as well as the new sony and microsoft offerings, since they are clearly inferior to what steam has made?
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #228
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #229
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
We *KNOW* what Steam's offering is like, and it already is superior to Gold or PSN and *it's free*. You are talking about the last gen sewage as if it is the second coming, it is garbage and we already know there is better. BigPicture- you can get it now and try it out on your PC. You can grab a controller and push it through your TV- *right now*.
i don't have a clue what their offering is going to be like on a console or what it will cost, care to share a link to the info?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #230
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #231
American Gunner
Platinum Member

I don't know anything about steam. Do they have a party chat or even private chat function, or do you have to go a different route to chat with friends on PC? And I don't think that Valve will just steam roll in the console race, because this is this first attempt and I stopped believing they were gaming Gods a long time ago.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #232
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
i know about steam for pc, i'm talking about for the new console they are releasing. links?

even links about the steam box in general cause i don't know anything about it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #233
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:
<<snip>>
We *KNOW* what Steam's offering is like, and it already is superior to Gold or PSN and *it's free*. You are talking about the last gen sewage as if it is the second coming, it is garbage and we already know there is better. BigPicture- you can get it now and try it out on your PC. You can grab a controller and push it through your TV- *right now*.
BigPicture is just a media center edition PCish thing, I wouldn't call it a direct competitor to any of the consoles as they do a lot more than just play games. That's one area where the holy Steam box is lacking majorly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so far all I've seen on this Steam console is hardware specs and shots of it running a BigPicture type OS.

Does it have a netflix app that won't require me to fiddle with it to go full screen? Does it have it's own movie and music marketplace that'll allow me to rent movies or stream music from it? Does it have a ESPN, or any of the TV network apps that allow me to watch stuff from it.

My point is there's more now to consoles than just playing the latest Call of Duty, in my house the Xbox is used for a ton of media consumption that I just don't see Steam getting for some time.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #234
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #235
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Is this forum nothing but drooling lunatic fanboys? When have I said the SteamBox will be a good console? When did I even come close to it? We were talking about the best online solution, and for that, SteamBox stomps MS's offering while being free.

Pretty much it's just a term for a device to get BigPicture mode on to your TV as seamlessly as a console. Could be a HTPC, could be something like Shield(we have seen both setups working as SteamBox devices). It used to be that such a setup would get obliterated by consoles with their custom hardware and unique platform that gave them a huge edge, now all rumors are pointing to the consoles being dumbed down low end two year old PC hardware anyway so that gave Valve a *huge* opening.

The 360 is lacking majorly to the PS3 in terms of media, does that mean we shouldn't discuss the 360 as a console too?

Best online experience- Likely Steam

Best Media- Likely Sony

There have been a couple different devices that have been Steam Boxes, some of them have everything you are looking for and then some. Some of them have been pretty much dumb HTPC type terminals. Sadly, the dumb terminals have been far more costly then the more elaborate setups.
so the "steam box" is just a pc for your living room that can play pc games off of steam?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #236
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is this forum nothing but drooling lunatic fanboys? When have I said the SteamBox will be a good console? When did I even come close to it? We were talking about the best online solution, and for that, SteamBox stomps MS's offering while being free.
And how do you know steambox will stomp MS? You have no idea what the steambox will actually be like and don't know what it will offer in comparison to the nextbox.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #237
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #238
Drako
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can tell you what SteamBox can do online right now, and they have MS beaten easily and they do it for free.
Bwahahahahah, they do it for free. They Do It For Free. THEY DO IT FOR FREE. Bwahahahahahahahah ...
Drako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #239
QueBert
Lifer

I like XBL, and I'm not sold on this Steambox that's not even out yet. I must be really stupid...

But I'm a huge UFC fan and I'd probably pay the $40 a year for itjust to use that app. *shrug*

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.

Last edited by QueBert; 01-19-2013 at 11:07 AM.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #240
Austin8868

xbox live is better in everyway. thats why people pay for it
Austin8868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #241
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:

Pretty much it's just a term for a device to get BigPicture mode on to your TV as seamlessly as a console. Could be a HTPC, could be something like Shield(we have seen both setups working as SteamBox devices). It used to be that such a setup would get obliterated by consoles with their custom hardware and unique platform that gave them a huge edge, now all rumors are pointing to the consoles being dumbed down low end two year old PC hardware anyway so that gave Valve a *huge* opening.

The 360 is lacking majorly to the PS3 in terms of media, does that mean we shouldn't discuss the 360 as a console too?

Best online experience- Likely Steam

Best Media- Likely Sony

There have been a couple different devices that have been Steam Boxes, some of them have everything you are looking for and then some. Some of them have been pretty much dumb HTPC type terminals. Sadly, the dumb terminals have been far more costly then the more elaborate setups.
Do you own an Xbox? There's a ton of content in it's marketplace for media, so I'd say it's pretty much a wash on music and movies. It's really starting to come across that you just don't like the Xbox and are dismissing anything it does well. There's now a lot more to it than just playing a game (though that is the main function). If and when the Steam box shows up we'll see how well it does other stuff than just playing PC games on my TV.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #242
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Last edited by BenSkywalker; 01-22-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #243
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Not exactly.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ture-of-gaming

Valve's specific Box will be running a custom Linux distro. SteamBox isn't just a HTPC, but the hardware side of it is open for others to join in(Shield is an example that that is already happening).

I can tell you what SteamBox can do online right now, and they have MS beaten easily and they do it for free.
So it won't be able to play the MAJORITY of games then. All Direct X games won't be playable and only OpenGL games that have been ported. As far as I can tell Steam doesn't have a voice chat or party chat functionality on the PC, so who knows if this will make it to the SteamBox. Also, there isn't any dedicated Netflix App announced and since Linux doesn't use SilverLight AFAIK, this won't be a great experience anyway.

Also, console gamers don't know or give a shit who Valve is for the most part. Therefore, their sales will come from PC gamers, who will cry they get console ports to PC then its ported to OpenGL for the SteamBox. A double port? This isn't going to end well.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #244
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #245
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

I would definitely buy a steam box if they still had sales. I bet if steam makes a box developers freak out and either won't add content or won't allow sales or something. The devs would lose money because people wouldn't have to pay tons of money for an inferior product on ps3/Xbox to play console games. And Sony and ms would bitch.
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #246
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:
We have three in house.
Do you have Live for them? It sounds like you use the Xbox like I use my PS3 only for a few things here and there I can't do on my Xbox. Like blu-rays.

Quote:
Compared to the PS3? I have ~300 BluRays, no, the 360 isn't a viable media platform at all. Sorry, lack of trivial media playback is kind of a massively huge deal. If I want crap quality, sure, the 360 has some options- the same ones as the PS3. If I want higher quality, 360 gives me nothing.
While that's a gap for you (and I'm not discounting it as I have a PS3 because of it), I personally don't have anywhere near that many disks. I prefer my content digital. To each their own....

Quote:
Cross platform titles tend to look better on the 360, what else would you say it does particularly well? It loses on media to Sony by default, it loses in online services to Steam, it loses on exclusives to Sony. The 360 is dead last this generation, and I can certainly understand why. Very poor effort on MS's part this generation, really hoping they step it up next gen. As a platform I liked the original XBox better then the PS2 for many reasons(sadly, the game selection made it so the XBox didn't get close to the playtime). This generation the 360 soundly bested the Wii IMO, but clearly the market has spoken, since the launch of the other two the 360 has been outsold by ~10-30Million units.
Here's where I have to ask, WTF does Steam do that's so much better than everyone else? Personally all I've used the service to buy games and connect to a online match here and there so I'm guessing I'm missing the bigger picture of what it can do. The way you keep going on about it, I have to assume that it does more than what I'm using it for.

Quote:
It may be utter garbage. The point I was making is that it has superior on line services which is what this thread is about. Too many ignorant fanboys wanting to rub one out to the Windows logo around here, seriously. Pointing out the strength of one platform means that you clearly are biased against the others. You go so far as to try and claim that the 360 is even with the PS3 for media- that is pure insanity. Clearly, you don't have all the current gen platforms.
Too many people around here want to piss on the Windows logo. It's funny that you accuse me of bias against a platform when you're ranting about how a platform that doesn't even exist yet is so much better than everything else.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #247
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #248
TallBill
Lifer

Bluray players are what, like $30 now? Would I like my Xbox to play brd, of course, but isn't the end of the world. I hate the Ps2-Ps3 dual shock analog sticks.

Slammin!
TallBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #249
Fingolfin269
Lifer

I prefer everything gaming oriented on the 360 but do have a PS3 for exclusives and BRD. I find the 360 to be superior in every way as a gaming system though. Controller is better and paying $3 a month for Live is worth it to me. I couldn't care less about Netflix requiring Gold because I already sub to Gold.
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #250
KingofBladez

I enjoy playing online on the 360 more in every way. The PS3 menu system feels clunky for invites and messaging and is slower overall.
I'd love live gold to be free/close to free next time around but it is way more reliable and someone has to pay for that. Just the other day PSN had some scheduled maintenance that was supposed to take a few hours and ended up taking over a day.

Comparing it to steam doesnt make sense to me since, as far as I know, steam is a storefront and makes more money off of each sale than MS does so those funds can be used to pay for online functionality. Even if MS makes same money on each xbox game part of that goes to subsidize the price of the console itself.