· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
Spoooon
Lifer

Quote:
Anyone notice how there are NO Canon's up there? That's Canon sucks and only stupid people use them. Certainly not people who take their "photography" serious. LOL
As bad as some of the apple/android stuff.

- M4H
Flame on!
current desktop
Spoooon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
blastingcap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcindie View Post
Except that the nm size isn't the "be all end all". This is being propagated because a smaller nm fabsize allows you to make 36megapixels for a fullframe sensor. Canon makes at the most, 22mp for that same sensor size so you don't NEED that smaller nm. Because the actual sensor gathering pixels are supposed to be bigger with 22mp than 36mp. Not smaller.

Now when Canon decides to compete with mp and go for a 40+ sensor, then they would need to upgrade.

Also I don't consider current Sony sensors to be much better than even old Canon APS-C sensors. The sensor in the Sony nex-5r (which is a very new APS-C sensor) does not outperform the Canon 7d (old APS-C) at all. DXOMark says it does, but the differences are very, very negligible. Canon 7d makes slightly less noise at higher ISOs and the Nex-5r does slightly better with ISO 100 (no shadow sensor noise so DR is a bit better). But the differences are very slight and I am comparing sensor technology that is years apart for Sonys advantage.
Process does matter though. Read this: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...Camera-Sensor2

And: http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...toshiba-found/

And: http://www.chipworks.com/blog/techno...ys-the-course/ (Canon still using 500nm tech while others have gone all the way down to 90nm by now!)

nm is not just about cramming pixels, look at the way CMOS sensors are constructed and you will understand why shrinking the circuitry and/or using better material like copper instead of aluminum, can help.

Canon has basically been stuck at the same process for the last several years. But Canon is slated to upgrade its fabs to 180nm "soon," so maybe they will finally catch up with Sony. Toshiba certainly has... their d5200 sensor is on par with Sony's d5100 sensor when you print the photos at the same size.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs

Last edited by blastingcap; 01-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
ElFenix
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post

Canon has basically been stuck at the same process for the last several years. But Canon is slated to upgrade its fabs to 180nm "soon," so maybe they will finally catch up with Sony. Toshiba certainly has... their d5200 sensor is on par with Sony's d5100 sensor when you print the photos at the same size.
didn't know tosh made sensors

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
blastingcap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFenix View Post
didn't know tosh made sensors
Other than possible banding issues the Toshiba-made D5200 sensor looks very good.

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...toshiba-found/

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...er/Comparisons
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #30
elitejp

I own Canon and dont mind the scores. I also dont mind people who own Nikons. Or those who own better cameras than mine. Its pretty pathetic i think to see how riled people become when their equipment isnt ranked on some website as the best. I frequent a canon photography website and so many people get so rude if a member was to ask about switching over to Nikon. Seriously.....you have to be pretty shallow for the name brand of a company to validate you as a person
elitejp is offline   Reply With Quote