Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Video Cards and Graphics

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #3376
gorobei
Platinum Member
 
gorobei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,262
Default

probably poor phrasing on my part. didnt mean to imply it was one person.

60k is simply the trading volume net result for the day of the price spike on mtgox. basically at the end of the day there was a larger volume of coins bought for higher value than the going rate, result price goes up. this is in contrast with the avg daily volume which is in the 2-10k range either positive or negative on price. all it means is that people were putting more dollars into the exchange, putting upward pressure on the value.
__________________
mmmmm doughnuts
gorobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #3377
wbynum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 302
Default

Surprised this thread is dead considering the difficulty dropped a good percentage a few days ago. Guess it was an effect of the holidays and people selling out when the reward halved.

I'm back to making a little over $2 total per day after electricity from my ~$1000 GPU setup (2x7950 and 2x7970). Wooohooo!!!
wbynum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #3378
Mir96TA
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delta Quadrant
Posts: 1,634
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbynum View Post
Surprised this thread is dead considering the difficulty dropped a good percentage a few days ago. Guess it was an effect of the holidays and people selling out when the reward halved.

I'm back to making a little over $2 total per day after electricity from my ~$1000 GPU setup (2x7950 and 2x7970). Wooohooo!!!
Yea over 2 Ghz can give you some return.........
I can hardly puts out 1 Gig; and I feel no halved is comming back...........
Mir96TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #3379
tential
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,426
Default

What the hell is this? I don't understand why this would make money at all? What exactly are people doing with their GPUs and CPUs with getting these "blocks" or whatever? The guides I read about this were all really vauge lol sorry. I understand I'm very very late to the party.

Oh, and how does bitcoin network stay alive when bitcoin mining is no longer profitable?

Last edited by tential; 01-02-2013 at 10:53 PM.
tential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #3380
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,324
Default

Trading at $14.75 today, mining is becoming ever so profitable again.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #3381
Mir96TA
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delta Quadrant
Posts: 1,634
Default

Now bitcoin require 1 Ghz or more to earn any meanful rewards
Mir96TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #3382
Chiropteran
Diamond Member
 
Chiropteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 7,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir96TA View Post
Now bitcoin require 1 Ghz or more to earn any meanful rewards
I have a single machine with 2X 5830s still mining 24/7, and I mine on my regular gaming machine with a single 7970 about 1/3 of the time. Average about 650mhash (500 from dedicated, 450/3 from the 7970 rig). It's not much, but I see the bitcoins trickle in, about 2.5 BTC per month. Not a lot, but I am not going to complain about getting an extra $37~ each month for "free".

Still have a pending order for a BFL single, which would increase my mining returns dramatically, but it's been delayed so long I try not to think about it.
__________________
http://writeangry.blogspot.com/
Chiropteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #3383
thilanliyan
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
Still have a pending order for a BFL single, which would increase my mining returns dramatically, but it's been delayed so long I try not to think about it.
Lol, so did ANY ship in November like they said they would?
__________________
Intel 4670k
Asus Z87-Expert
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
thilanliyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #3384
Mir96TA
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delta Quadrant
Posts: 1,634
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
I have a single machine with 2X 5830s still mining 24/7, and I mine on my regular gaming machine with a single 7970 about 1/3 of the time. Average about 650mhash (500 from dedicated, 450/3 from the 7970 rig). It's not much, but I see the bitcoins trickle in, about 2.5 BTC per month. Not a lot, but I am not going to complain about getting an extra $37~ each month for "free".

Still have a pending order for a BFL single, which would increase my mining returns dramatically, but it's been delayed so long I try not to think about it.
Well true; so far I see my 7970 have return the 75% of its cost. Now its only $200 to go
Lets see...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilanliyan View Post
Lol, so did ANY ship in November like they said they would?
As of now it should be by end of this Month!
As a GPU minner; I hoping they run into major problem
Mir96TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #3385
Fx1
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,207
Default

Can someone help me with the calculations?

I get very cheap electricity at night from midnight to 8:30am which works out at 5.815p per kwh which in USD is 0.08 USD per kWh. Could i make money from this 8.5 hours a day on 1 or 2 7970's ?
Fx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #3386
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx1 View Post
Can someone help me with the calculations?

I get very cheap electricity at night from midnight to 8:30am which works out at 5.815p per kwh which in USD is 0.08 USD per kWh. Could i make money from this 8.5 hours a day on 1 or 2 7970's ?
It depends on how prices of BTC change, how efficient your rig is, power supply and everything else. And the exact settings you are mining at with the 7970. So it is impossible to answer without knowing your exact wattage and settings. But if you have a typical 80+ efficient PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, etc. at typical 7970 settings, and price remains what it is today, then according to my calculations at 8 cents per kWh and 8.5 hours per day, you can make about $0.27 per day per 7970. That's about $8 per month.

People who brag about making a lot of money on GPU mining (as opposed to FPGA/ASIC mining which has high startup costs but sip power) are either talking about the good ol' days (not today's crappy return on investment), or they either get free/almost-free electricity and/or are not including power costs, or they are mining on a ton of GPUs... yeah you can still make $200 per month mining, but on how many dozens of GPUs? Spending $20,000 on hardware, and $1000 per month on power, to make $200 per month profit, isn't that impressive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 + 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

Last edited by blastingcap; 01-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
blastingcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #3387
Fx1
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
It depends on how prices of BTC change, how efficient your rig is, power supply and everything else. And the exact settings you are mining at with the 7970. So it is impossible to answer without knowing your exact wattage and settings. But if you have a typical 80+ efficient PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, etc. at typical 7970 settings, and price remains what it is today, then according to my calculations at 8 cents per kWh and 8.5 hours per day, you can make about $0.27 per day per 7970. That's about $8 per month.

People who brag about making a lot of money are either talking about the good ol' days (not today's crappy return on investment), or they either get free/almost-free electricity and/or are not including power costs, or they are mining on a ton of GPUs... yeah you can still make $200 per month mining, but on how many dozens of GPUs? Spending $20,000 on hardware, and $1000 per month on power, to make $200 per month profit, isn't that impressive.
I can probably make more money than that filling out online questionnaires lol.

Thanks
Fx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #3388
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
I have a single machine with 2X 5830s still mining 24/7, and I mine on my regular gaming machine with a single 7970 about 1/3 of the time. Average about 650mhash (500 from dedicated, 450/3 from the 7970 rig). It's not much, but I see the bitcoins trickle in, about 2.5 BTC per month. Not a lot, but I am not going to complain about getting an extra $37~ each month for "free".
What clocks do you mine at and what miner are you using? I'm currently at 1250/300 and I get 750 mhash/sec with Diablo.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #3389
Elfear
VC&G Moderator
 
Elfear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,114
Default

Anyone getting 2D artifacts while mining after updating to the Catalyst 12.11s? I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
__________________
4770k@4.7Ghz | Maximus VI Hero | 2x290@1150/1450 | 16GB DDR3 | Custom H20
Elfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3390
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfear View Post
Anyone getting 2D artifacts while mining after updating to the Catalyst 12.11s? I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
I generally get them if I have MSI Afterburner actively displayed on screen. If it's minimized, they go away. It might be the same with similar monitoring programs. I have yet to try 13.1.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #3391
Elfear
VC&G Moderator
 
Elfear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrK6 View Post
I generally get them if I have MSI Afterburner actively displayed on screen. If it's minimized, they go away. It might be the same with similar monitoring programs. I have yet to try 13.1.
I'll try minimizing AB and see if it helps. Thanks for the info.
__________________
4770k@4.7Ghz | Maximus VI Hero | 2x290@1150/1450 | 16GB DDR3 | Custom H20
Elfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #3392
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member
 
WhoBeDaPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfear View Post
Anyone getting 2D artifacts while mining after updating to the Catalyst 12.11s? I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
Same, at least it was the case with BETA4. Never tried mining with BETA11 / 13.1 - already threw in the towel and sold all my cards on eBay (with the exception of the 7970s).
__________________
BlueSmoke.net
Silverstone Temjin TJ09S - i7 4770K @ 4.55GHz - MSI Z87-GD65 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 CL9 - MSI Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 6x Noctua NF-P12 - Samsung 840 500GB - Samsung F3 1TB - OptiArc 7261S - Logitech G19 - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB GSkill 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - Crucial M500 240GB - Hitachi Travelstar 7200 1TB
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #3393
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,324
Default

Trading $15.50 this morning. I have 5 coins I was going to sell, but I think I'll hold off and see where this goes.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #3394
thilanliyan
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,133
Default

Waiting for it to get to $20!

And to think I was selling many coins at $6 a while back!!
__________________
Intel 4670k
Asus Z87-Expert
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
thilanliyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #3395
Binky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,622
Default

It figures...my sell order for $14 sat there for months and then it gets filled when the race to the moon starts. Bah!

I'm sure I'll replenish my coins "soon." With the increased difficulty and only two surviving (low-powered) miners, I'm minting 0.11 coins per day!
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #3396
Chiropteran
Diamond Member
 
Chiropteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 7,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrK6 View Post
What clocks do you mine at and what miner are you using? I'm currently at 1250/300 and I get 750 mhash/sec with Diablo.
I was getting 480mhash at default clocks using cgminer. diablominer was better, and I use it on my dedicated mining box, but I despise java and prefer to not have it installed on my main PC.

After updating to 13.1 I was noticing artifacts while mining, so I stopped for now. Not sure what the deal is with that, they even occurred with the card clocked way down so I don't think it's a stress issue.
__________________
http://writeangry.blogspot.com/
Chiropteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #3397
MrK6
Diamond Member
 
MrK6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
I was getting 480mhash at default clocks using cgminer. diablominer was better, and I use it on my dedicated mining box, but I despise java and prefer to not have it installed on my main PC.
Ah, shame, but yeah, java helps things along unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
After updating to 13.1 I was noticing artifacts while mining, so I stopped for now. Not sure what the deal is with that, they even occurred with the card clocked way down so I don't think it's a stress issue.
Mine's been like that ever since I started using the 12.11's. It's random and almost only occurs when I have Afterburner maximized/on screen (see above). I haven't had an stability issues or crashes though, so I think it's just a funky driver thing tbh.
__________________
My "For Sale" Thread
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #3398
Binky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,622
Default

The 12.11 drivers were a disaster for me. My 7950 also started getting odd artifacts, but I also lost my displayport after the driver upgrade. The displayport still doesn't work on that card. I downgraded to an earlier version.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #3399
FiLeZz
Diamond Member
 
FiLeZz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,140
Default

at this rate what would I expect to get after 1 month

Totals 2,713.89 MH/s 16 (100.00%) 0 / 0 / 0
__________________
My Heatware

Last edited by FiLeZz; 01-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.
FiLeZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #3400
IGemini
Platinum Member
 
IGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 2,000
Default

Value's been jumping quite a bit today, just got over $16.
__________________
Fafnir [main]: Intel i5-4670K | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87M Extreme4 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3L-1600 | HIS IceQ Radeon 7870 2GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Cooler Master N200 | Seasonic G 450W
Nightstar [HTPC]: Intel Q9650 | ASUS P5Q Deluxe | 2x2GB Patriot DDR2-1066 |
PNY GT 220 1GB | Corsair Force F115 | NZXT Apollo | Corsair TX650W v1
[ Heat - WIP ]
IGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.