· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
DLeRium
Lifer

Default Now with more fingerpointing: Nexus 4 Shortages due to Poor Estimates by Google

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/17/f...due-to-google/

Quote:
The Nexus 4 drought continues and it seems that both Google and LG are spreading the blame around... in the friendliest way possible. The back and forth started in December with Dan Cobley, managing director for the internet giant in the UK and Ireland, saying that, "supplies from the manufacturer are scarce and erratic, and our communication has been flawed." While the phrasing is pretty diplomatic, the bulk of the problem was squarely laid at LG's feet. Now LG Mobile's France director Cathy Robin is offering some clarification, saying that Mountain View's low estimates are partially to blame. Sales forecasts were based on the performance of the Galaxy Nexus, which resulted in the company building too few handsets and shipping them to the wrong regions. Despite these kinks, Robin told the French site Challenges.fr that the relationship between Google and LG was quite healthy. For more of the interview with Cathy Robin check out the source.
I'd say its both parties' faults.
DLeRium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Well, LG sure blew their chance regardless, I'd say. They shall not be used again for Nexus stuff. Ridiculous.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Muyoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
Well, LG sure blew their chance regardless, I'd say. They shall not be used again for Nexus stuff. Ridiculous.
I bet LG is the one making the 2013 Nexus 7.
Muyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
dagamer34
Platinum Member

If Google didn't think that a phone priced at $299 which would normally sell for $499 would sell significantly better than the Galaxy Nexus, someone needs to be fired.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyoso View Post
I bet LG is the one making the 2013 Nexus 7.
Yep, they've already spilled the beans on a 7" 1920x1200 screen which they said would go into a product shipping this year.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Raduque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
If Google didn't think that a phone priced at $299 which would normally sell for $499 would sell significantly better than the Galaxy Nexus, someone needs to be fired.
It's too bad, too. My mother needs a new phone (busted up the display on her GS2) and wants an N4 8gb.

Heat
ForSale
Raduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's kind of funny watching companies out of their element. Google is about as inept at doing hardware and physical products as Apple is at social and cloud services and Microsoft is at, well, everything.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduque View Post
It's too bad, too. My mother needs a new phone (busted up the display on her GS2) and wants an N4 8gb.
I'd buy my GF a Nexus 4 because worst case it'll hold its value...but I can't.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

I wonder if LG has even met Google's alleged "low estimates"?

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
I wonder if LG has even met Google's alleged "low estimates"?
Probably not, given Google's statements that shipments form LG have been sparse and erratic.

Agreed too, that LG has blown their chance as a Nexus provider.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
It's kind of funny watching companies out of their element. Google is about as inept at doing hardware and physical products as Apple is at social and cloud services and Microsoft is at, well, everything.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ipho...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If a hardware shortage is a sign of being inept, I think Apple already has the patent on that one.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post

If a hardware shortage is a sign of being inept, I think Apple already has the patent on that one.
Apple also managed to sell 2 million iPhone 5s on it's first day. I don't think Apple is on LG's level of ineptitude.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:

At least Apple manages to get units back in stock at some point. Also, this isn't the first time Google has dropped the ball in terms of hardware. Remember the Nexus Q?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
magomago
Lifer

Agreed. I don't care if there was a problem in the beginning. What I do care about is that it is a phone that has been near impossible to get since it launched, TWO MONTHS AGO.

Of course, with Rumors of Nexus 5 coming in May, I would think people would want to wait. Too bad I'm stuck on an old flip phone right now and really want a replacement....
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Apple also managed to sell 2 million iPhone 5s on it's first day. I don't think Apple is on LG's level of ineptitude.
Thing is, there's a conflict of interest in LG making the Nexus 4 so cheap. Unless Google is subsidizing the device heavily (and who knows by how much), LG would much rather someone buy an Optimus G than a Nexus 4 because they own the relationship, not Google.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
bearxor
Diamond Member

Quote:

Seriously? Apple sold/fulfilled preorders of 5 million in a three day period. The best estimates put N4 production at < 500,000 units thus far. These two are far cries from one another at this point.

But I honestly don't care whose fault it is. I don't think the other 500,000 people who want one do either. They just want their phones. Stop pointing fingers and start working those chineese workers to the bone assembling little devices.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
Agreed. I don't care if there was a problem in the beginning. What I do care about is that it is a phone that has been near impossible to get since it launched, TWO MONTHS AGO.

Of course, with Rumors of Nexus 5 coming in May, I would think people would want to wait. Too bad I'm stuck on an old flip phone right now and really want a replacement....
That won't happen.
lothar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thing is, there's a conflict of interest in LG making the Nexus 4 so cheap. Unless Google is subsidizing the device heavily (and who knows by how much), LG would much rather someone buy an Optimus G than a Nexus 4 because they own the relationship, not Google.
LG isn't making the Nexus phone because a gun was put to their head. It was their choice, they wanted to make it. So I don't believe in this conflict of interest bit at all.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
At least Apple manages to get units back in stock at some point. Also, this isn't the first time Google has dropped the ball in terms of hardware. Remember the Nexus Q?
The Nexus Q is situation so entirely different. A good thing about Google is they experiment with new ideas. This was an experiment and unfortunately it was poorly received, so Google has gone back to the drawing board with it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
LG isn't making the Nexus phone because a gun was put to their head. It was their choice, they wanted to make it. So I don't believe in this conflict of interest bit at all.
That's true, however there is an odd phenomenon that has happened at least 3 times so far that when Google is working with a company, their own phones magically get better. Look at HTC, Samsung, and now LG and the hero products they released within the same time period: T-Mobile G1 (HTC)/HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, Nexus One (HTC)/HTC Desire, Nexus S (Samsung)/Galaxy S I & II, Galaxy Nexus (Samsung)/Galaxy S III, and now the Nexus 4 (LG)/Optimus G. I have to believe that working intimately with Google engineers provides these companies with information that they otherwise could not attain, or the sheer fact that Google is working with a company instantly increases their profile (odd, but consistently true).

Working with Google on a phone gives a company a magical boost in "street cred" among Android enthusiasts for a year for some weird reason. Notice how HTC and Motorola have floundered since they've fallen out of Google's good graces. It's an odd coincidence.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
Raduque
Lifer

Quote:
Working with Google on a phone gives a company a magical boost in "street cred" among Android enthusiasts for a year for some weird reason. Notice how HTC and Motorola have floundered since they've fallen out of Google's good graces. It's an odd coincidence.
It's because the "Android enthusiasts" are a bunch of vocal minority nutballs who think the only device that's worth anything is a Nexus.

Heat
ForSale
Raduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduque View Post
It's because the "Android enthusiasts" are a bunch of vocal minority nutballs who think the only device that's worth anything is a Nexus.
I don't think I'm a nutball for wanting a phone that is stock and not bloated with silly custom UIs. Or a phone that gets regular updates, not one update 8 months later that will probably be it's only update. But then I've been called worse things.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #23
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's true, however there is an odd phenomenon that has happened at least 3 times so far that when Google is working with a company, their own phones magically get better. Look at HTC, Samsung, and now LG and the hero products they released within the same time period: T-Mobile G1 (HTC)/HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, Nexus One (HTC)/HTC Desire, Nexus S (Samsung)/Galaxy S I & II, Galaxy Nexus (Samsung)/Galaxy S III, and now the Nexus 4 (LG)/Optimus G. I have to believe that working intimately with Google engineers provides these companies with information that they otherwise could not attain, or the sheer fact that Google is working with a company instantly increases their profile (odd, but consistently true).

I think LG realizes this supply issue, whatever the cause, is hurting their reputation. Which is why they are eager to deflect blame. I can't imagine this is a strategy, because if so it's one of the worst I've ever seen if so.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #24
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Nexus Q is situation so entirely different. A good thing about Google is they experiment with new ideas. This was an experiment and unfortunately it was poorly received, so Google has gone back to the drawing board with it.
My point was that Google isn't terribly experienced with hardware, so they make bad decisions and mistakes when it comes to hardware, much like Apple is terrible at social (remember Ping) and cloud services.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #25
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
My point was that Google isn't terribly experienced with hardware, so they make bad decisions and mistakes when it comes to hardware, much like Apple is terrible at social (remember Ping) and cloud services.
Sorry that I'm going off course a bit now. But the hardware seemed pretty good. It was the software Google screwed up by locking it down to only Google services. Kinda surprised they didn't just combine that with Google TV and re-release the thing by now.