Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Health and Fitness

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #26
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
Did you still have it all together? Removing the console and the legs(which only took a few minute)made the treadmill easy to go thru a doorway by carrying it sideways. But yes, it was a heavy mofo.
i had to take the legs and the top part off to get it out of the guys house and had to keep it off to get it to my final destination in my house.

i was surprised at how heavy the actual 'legs' were as well. overall the weight of this thing is massive, which is good considering i'm 205lbs and it is something i will be running on.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

FWIW I am shopping a treadmill now for my wife, and for my occasional use.

VERY difficult. I was stuck at a 2500 budget, but found myself looking at 3500+ machines. I looked at the new true machines as I figured this would be my first choice. Mainly the PS100. Deck is great. Console looks like my kids fisher price toys. Kind of at a cross roads right now

I am cross shopping the following:
True PS100 - 2599 setup + tax
Landice L7 pro trainer console - 3400 setup + tax
Precor 9.31 - 3699 setup + tax
Spirit XT685 - not sure of street price, maybe 2300 + tax
Spirit CT800 - 2900-3000 street price + tax
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 80,770
Default

My parents and brother do. Parents paid out the ass for theirs. Brother found one on CraigsList from a multi-million dollar home for 1/4 the cost of buying new with a transferable contract for service.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
RagingBITCH
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
FWIW I am shopping a treadmill now for my wife, and for my occasional use.

VERY difficult. I was stuck at a 2500 budget, but found myself looking at 3500+ machines. I looked at the new true machines as I figured this would be my first choice. Mainly the PS100. Deck is great. Console looks like my kids fisher price toys. Kind of at a cross roads right now

I am cross shopping the following:
True PS100 - 2599 setup + tax
Landice L7 pro trainer console - 3400 setup + tax
Precor 9.31 - 3699 setup + tax
Spirit XT685 - not sure of street price, maybe 2300 + tax
Spirit CT800 - 2900-3000 street price + tax
...$3500? Are the gyms in your area so crappy that you have to buy your own? Unless you live in ice city, even snow allows for running outside.
RagingBITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #30
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBITCH View Post
...$3500? Are the gyms in your area so crappy that you have to buy your own? Unless you live in ice city, even snow allows for running outside.

It isn't about crappy gyms, or the weather outside. I spend a lot of time in the gym lifting. I am not looking to run outdoors. I prefer to do my cardio at home. Early mornings, or when it's convenient vs driving to the gym for a 30 minute cardio session.

My wife will use a treadmill if we have it in the house, but doesn't like to go to the gym. We have had a couple different ones end up in our house at times while relatives were in transition and she would always use them.

I know the value of quality equipment. I am not a small guy and I use them at a high incline and walk, which is actually harder on the mills than running in some regards, so I need a decent unit. do I need a 3500 buck one??? probably not, but after shopping around and seeing what lesser money buys me, I see value in the higher end machines
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #31
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

I bought a 9.33 precor today. it busted my budget, but I got the treadmill I wanted regardless of price
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #32
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
I bought a 9.33 precor today. it busted my budget, but I got the treadmill I wanted regardless of price
$/miles.....get to it.
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
SearchMaster
Diamond Member
 
SearchMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 6,377
Default

We have a Landice - I had no idea they were this expensive. My wife runs a gym and got it pretty cheap, under $1000, but apparently it's a $3000 or $4000 machine new.

As for usage...I hate running and always have. I use our stationary bike for cardio but will occasionally (every 3 months or so) knock out 3 miles or so on the treadmill. That's about all the use it gets. When my wife first got it, she was doing 2-3 half marathons a year and used it to train when she couldn't run on the street or workout at work. She hasn't done that in a few years though.

We should probably just sell the damn thing.
SearchMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchMaster View Post
We have a Landice - I had no idea they were this expensive. My wife runs a gym and got it pretty cheap, under $1000, but apparently it's a $3000 or $4000 machine new.

As for usage...I hate running and always have. I use our stationary bike for cardio but will occasionally (every 3 months or so) knock out 3 miles or so on the treadmill. That's about all the use it gets. When my wife first got it, she was doing 2-3 half marathons a year and used it to train when she couldn't run on the street or workout at work. She hasn't done that in a few years though.

We should probably just sell the damn thing.
L8 with the higher end console will be over 5 grand
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #35
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 36,676
Default

since this thread was bumped, i'll give a small update.

my wife is using the treadmill like 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes or so at a time, so it's getting it's fair use and holding up just fine.

i also cannot believe how good the built in speakers are on this thing lol. it has pretty crazy bass as well. really impressive for treadmill speakers.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland145 View Post
$/miles.....get to it.
won't have it till mid to end of next week. wife will put the majority of the miles on it. I will use it, but mainly for variety for me.
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #37
magomago
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,670
Default

So I'll add to this thread rather than create a new one. I got into the whole 'treadmill desk' thing about 1 month ago, and went for it, and since then, I've been loving it. The arms came off really easy as well.
Cheap Ikea Desk + Cheap Treadmill meant that I've been doing a lot of walking, especially as the PC is the main form of entertainment I have when I go home.

I have really enjoyed it...until the motor just burned out. I suppose it was destined since I spent 150 dollars on it.

Anyways, I need something that I can walk on at low speeds (1-2 mph) for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to invest up to 1K on a used treadmill (but as always, lower is better).

I don't want these things to keep dying on me after a few months.

Are there any reccomendations? Most people online have been pushing 2 main models: the confidence power plus, and the merit 725T plus. I actually had a Merit 725T (non the plus model), and am skeptical right now of low end treadmills and the idea that JUST a little bit more HP would have helped me out.

Like some of the comments above: I just want it to work, and I want it to work right. The difference is I will NEVER run on it; I have nice high end treadmills at the gym I use, and I prefer to run outside.

Any Used treadmills that I should be looking at? Orange county here....

Looking at Lifespan's Website (to try to get an idea of how much Power I need) their treadmills do 2-3 chp. Some make references to 'high torque' motors. Looks like 2 chp should be my minimum? According to amazon, the 725T I have is a 1.25 chp motor...
__________________
Heat 19-0-0

Last edited by magomago; 01-20-2013 at 11:13 PM.
magomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #38
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

just got it setup this afternoon:
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
So I'll add to this thread rather than create a new one. I got into the whole 'treadmill desk' thing about 1 month ago, and went for it, and since then, I've been loving it. The arms came off really easy as well.
Cheap Ikea Desk + Cheap Treadmill meant that I've been doing a lot of walking, especially as the PC is the main form of entertainment I have when I go home.

I have really enjoyed it...until the motor just burned out. I suppose it was destined since I spent 150 dollars on it.

Anyways, I need something that I can walk on at low speeds (1-2 mph) for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to invest up to 1K on a used treadmill (but as always, lower is better).

I don't want these things to keep dying on me after a few months.

Are there any reccomendations? Most people online have been pushing 2 main models: the confidence power plus, and the merit 725T plus. I actually had a Merit 725T (non the plus model), and am skeptical right now of low end treadmills and the idea that JUST a little bit more HP would have helped me out.

Like some of the comments above: I just want it to work, and I want it to work right. The difference is I will NEVER run on it; I have nice high end treadmills at the gym I use, and I prefer to run outside.

Any Used treadmills that I should be looking at? Orange county here....

Looking at Lifespan's Website (to try to get an idea of how much Power I need) their treadmills do 2-3 chp. Some make references to 'high torque' motors. Looks like 2 chp should be my minimum? According to amazon, the 725T I have is a 1.25 chp motor...
after my shopping experience, Spirit seems to make the best cheap'er treadmills out of all the ones I saw in person. their XT185 will be right around that $1000 street price
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.